Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeusborn View Post
The reliability of the “SOLENOID” relay sounds so bad, we’re considering a diode in parallel with a knife switch instead. The diode would allow the coach battery to be charged from the engine alternator and the knife switch would allow the “AUX START” feature. Has anyone tried this?
A single diode allowing the alt to charge the coach battery, would also allow your chassis battery to follow your couch batteries down when the engine is off.

As the volts drop in the coach batteries, the current will flow thru the diode from the chassis battery.

A proper isolator has 2 diodes with the alternator output feeding both, and seprate outputs to chassis and couch batteries.

Since alternators need feed back to the internal regulator, you need to supply a sense wire from one battery or the other.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A single diode allowing the alt to charge the coach battery, would also allow your chassis battery to follow your couch batteries down when the engine is off.

As the volts drop in the coach batteries, the current will flow thru the diode from the chassis battery.

A proper isolator has 2 diodes with the alternator output feeding both, and seprate outputs to chassis and couch batteries.

Since alternators need feed back to the internal regulator, you need to supply a sense wire from one battery or the other.
Very good points! This problem occurred to me after I wrote the original consideration. I couldn't pursue this without a better Freightliner wiring diagram. I don't even know if the regulator sensing wire is brought outside of the alternator or how the alternator output is routed to the chassis battery. Thanks very much for pointing out the potential problem. Your proposed solution sounds very workable and very well thought out.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
I have been using a Blue Sea relay to provide the functions of a BIRD as well as Aux Start relay for a year now.

It has operated flawlessly and I like the choice of manual or automatic operation.

In my case I replaced a failing battery isolator and the Aux Start relay with this unit.

Blue Sea Systems ML-ACR 12V DC 500A Automatic Charging Relay with Manual Control
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VIXLRO..._iIXFwb5X3SN92

Paul

I too just did this same job today, I replaced mine with a white Rogers solenoid; but if had to do over, I would use the blue sea. Should have done more research prior...
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #32

I would like to know how they hold up.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #33

I have a BIRD and an aux start solenoid. The aux start solenoid failed and I installed an AmplStart (higher powered TriklStart). Of course my aux start will no longer tie the battery banks together so it is of no use. BUT if I replace the solenoid then I would get charging from both it (via BIRD) and the AmpleLStart. Would this create a problem or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I have a BIRD and an aux start solenoid. The aux start solenoid failed and I installed an AmplStart (higher powered TriklStart). Of course my aux start will no longer tie the battery banks together so it is of no use. BUT if I replace the solenoid then I would get charging from both it (via BIRD) and the AmpleLStart. Would this create a problem or am I missing something?

BIRD is better as it is bidirectional, With the Trikl or Ample you are charging both banks when on shore power, however, while driving down the road your alternator is not charging the house batteries.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #35

So would it hurt to have both?

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #36

No, can't see a problem having both (duplication).
If you already had BIRD and working relay then no need for the Trickl (or Ample)...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #37

Terry

I had a 93 Pace Arrow Diesel pusher that only connected both banks together while driving down the road. The Battery Control Center (BCC) would check the voltage of the chassis batteries & if above a set point it would energize the solenoid, connecting both battery banks to then the house batteries along with the chassis batteries would get charged while driving down the road.
While plugged into 50 amp service my converter, a 60amp Progressive Dynamics, connected to the house batteries. House batteries get a good charge BUT the chassis batteries where isolated and they would not get charged. After a week or two the chassis batteries get to the point they will not crank the main engine!
I installed a trik-l-start like device what would charge the chassis batteries while connected to shore power, PROBLEM SOLVED.
12 years later I upgrade to a 1907 Fleetwood Discovery. The Battery Control center will energize the solenoid BOTH while driving down the road AND plugged into shore power. No need to have a trik-l-start "IF" your solenoid is OK.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Terry

I had a 93 Pace Arrow Diesel pusher that only connected both banks together while driving down the road. The Battery Control Center (BCC) would check the voltage of the chassis batteries & if above a set point it would energize the solenoid, connecting both battery banks to then the house batteries along with the chassis batteries would get charged while driving down the road.
While plugged into 50 amp service my converter, a 60amp Progressive Dynamics, connected to the house batteries. House batteries get a good charge BUT the chassis batteries where isolated and they would not get charged. After a week or two the chassis batteries get to the point they will not crank the main engine!
I installed a trik-l-start like device what would charge the chassis batteries while connected to shore power, PROBLEM SOLVED.
12 years later I upgrade to a 1907 Fleetwood Discovery. The Battery Control center will energize the solenoid BOTH while driving down the road AND plugged into shore power. No need to have a trik-l-start "IF" your solenoid is OK.
mchero,

This is very enlightening! Apparently, Fleetwood has found a solenoid that is equal to the task. Can you give us the make and model of the solenoid? MANY THANKS

RH

Tags
led