Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Failed front access panel

The hinge attachment on the front access panel (front cap) on our 06 Bounder DP has failed. This is the access to the generator and front of coach. It has hydraulic cylinders on it. The metal brackets that attach to this fiberglass panel have become detached on the drivers side. It appears that the Factory method of attaching was to bond the hinge bracket to the panel with some kind of epoxy. That joint has failed. Had Camping World in Boise look at it and said the solution was to remove the hinges and access panel and replace the epoxy. They quoted me $800 to do the job. No parts need to be replaced and epoxy can't be that expensive so I assume they are talking about a lot of preparation work? Just seems a little steep to me.
Since we have a bra on the front it pretty well secures the panel and we can travel with it like that. Would like to have it fixed but $$$?
Any recommendations?

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, its a lot of prep work, and the factory failing to do it correctly most likely created the problem..

You say you have a bra.. would it not be easy to simply drill though the bracket and panel and install rivets?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't believe you were quoted $800.00 for this repair. This is a common problem with many makes of MH's. You can buy a repair kit for this for less than 20 dollars. We repaired several of these for less than 100 dollars. Go to a RV dealer and purchase a epoxy kit that has the fiberglass cloth with it. It is not a difficult repair.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

I use the bra to protect the front cap from bugs and rocks on the road. So now I should drill holes and place rivets in it. That probably won't be my solution but it looks like it would be the easiest. But thanks for the reply.
I am trying to figure out if my extended warranty will cover this? At CW they said they did not think so and they would not contqact them. Said I should do it myself.(Contact them)?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I can't believe you were quoted $800.00 for this repair. This is a common problem with many makes of MH's. You can buy a repair kit for this for less than 20 dollars. We repaired several of these for less than 100 dollars. Go to a RV dealer and purchase a epoxy kit that has the fiberglass cloth with it. It is not a difficult repair.
Ga traveler,
Thanks for the reply. Could you maybe direct me to some instructions or ? about the process. I have the time, and maybe the ability and equipment here at the hatchery to do the work, if I knew what it was! Thanks. Yea, seemed high to me too. They keep calling to see when I want to do it
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I use the bra to protect the front cap from bugs and rocks on the road. So now I should drill holes and place rivets in it. That probably won't be my solution but it looks like it would be the easiest. But thanks for the reply.
I am trying to figure out if my extended warranty will cover this? At CW they said they did not think so and they would not contqact them. Said I should do it myself.(Contact them)?
No.. not through the bra. that would be silly.. Through the panel and bracket..The bra would make sure it was never seen if you didnt paint..
Old 05-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ga traveler,
Thanks for the reply. Could you maybe direct me to some instructions or ? about the process. I have the time, and maybe the ability and equipment here at the hatchery to do the work, if I knew what it was! Thanks. Yea, seemed high to me too. They keep calling to see when I want to do it
I can sure see them calling about the repair. They should also kiss you if you pay this amount for a simple repair. The repair kit has a piece of fiberglass cloth. You epoxy the bracket to the door. Next you put on a light coat of epoxy over the top of the bracket foot. Press the cloth into the epoxy. add more epoxy over the cloth. work it into the cloth.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #8

Ga Traveler,
I assume you have to remove all the old epoxy from the fiberglass door as well as the hinge?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
No.. not through the bra. that would be silly.. Through the panel and bracket..The bra would make sure it was never seen if you didnt paint..
I didn't explain myself very well. I of course didn't mean through the bra. What I meant is that I have gone through pains to keep the front cap looking nice and really don't want to start drilling holes in it.
Being a 'full time volunteer' I travel little and stay long. I like to only leave the bra on when going down the road.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I was about to say that's probably what you meant!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I didn't explain myself very well. I of course didn't mean through the bra. What I meant is that I have gone through pains to keep the front cap looking nice and really don't want to start drilling holes in it.
Being a 'full time volunteer' I travel little and stay long. I like to only leave the bra on when going down the road.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ga Traveler,
I assume you have to remove all the old epoxy from the fiberglass door as well as the hinge?
You need to clean the hinge and Wipe it down with alcohol. Epoxy will not stick to any part that is oily. The purpose of the fiberglass cloth is to spread the bonding over a large area. Sometimes we took a small chisel and cleaned out the fiberglass mounting area. Other times if it mated well and a large part of the old epoxy came out at the break, we just put a new coat of epoxy on it.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #13

The epoxy separated from the hinge. (The epoxy/hinge interfface failed). The epoxy that was attached to the fiberglass is almost entirely intact and in place. Will new epoxy adhere to the old epoxy? That would make the repair so much easier if it would work. Thanks for all the information. CW may not thank you
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The old epoxy would need to be roughened up, but not too much.. 400-600 grit will do.. That fiberglass piece that you are placing over the bracket is your real attachment. THAT area is what needs to be really clean. Roughen with the same 4-600 grit.