Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

Failing LED Lights

For those or you that have had failing LED lights, I just replaced the last four of mine today, all under warranty. The original lights had a mfg code date of Nov 2014. The new lights I just put in had a date of May 2016. I didn't notice the dates on the previous 8 lights.
The 4 new lights had LED's that were more than twice the size of all the previous lights. Hopefully these new ones will last longer. Unfortunately, the previous 8 lights with the small LED''s will likely fail too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	140794  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My 2015 Baystar had the same issue. I was told there was a recall. Dealer sent me 5 once I verified number on the back of the bad one. I am now prepared for the worse. Not easy to get the old one out of the ceiling but if you take your time it can be done.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Yes, same problem here. I just sent a note to ITC and will try Winnebago tomorrow. I've had three fail on our 2016 Sunstar.

I purchased the previous replacements on Amazon but did not know about the production dates. The dud I have in my hand is 2014 production. I suppose I can pull off the lenses and inspect the elements as described earlier.

This looks to be an expensive adventure.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

marc, you can get them all replaced, as they fail, from Winnebago. If you want to get the whole process over quicker, just make the rest of the lights fail, then get them replaced. Take the lenses off carefully, do not tip sideway, look in the lens to see if any of the components have fallen off the circuit board. If they have, you can get the light replaced. If none of the LED's haven't fallen off yet, just turn the lights on for 15 or 20 min., so they get good and hot, then swipe your finger over the LED's and there's a 99% chance that some of them will fall off. Then you're ready to ask for replacements. Just in case someone asks, you didn't hear that here.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Something I have found is this, People like MORE LIGHT so early LED manufacturers would over drive the LED's to get more light out of 'em.. One LED assembly on my RV the series resistor (Current limiter) was 1/3 the size it should be, this means 3 times the current.. I rebuilt it with a more modern LED and the proper size resistor and it's lasted many years.

Modern LED's are able to take more current and make more light.. The one on my hip out sines over a dozen of the older lEDS.. yes, it is a bit bigger, but the flashlight (TAC-1200) is smaller.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

Great info on getting these replaced. I wonder how long Winnebago will cover them. And, I can see that both Winnebago and ITC aren't trying to bury the problem. That's laudable, particularly these days.

I had considered when replacing them to install quick disconnects Hopefully that isn't necessary.

If anyone has had a new/updated fixture fail, it would be good to know for that reason.

Thanks, Marc
Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

Marc;

After several of mine failed, I called Winnebego and they sent replacements for the ones that failed. A few weeks later, two more failed. I called Winnebego again and they sent me enough to replace all of the installed lights.
They were very receptive.
Just tell them that most are out or starting to fail (Less output). I am pretty sure they will help you out.

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The rep at ITC told me that the problem was that they used lead free solder and it's melts at the temp that the LEDs create and have since rectified the issue. They replaced 4 that I purchased from CW. ITC is a great company.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
The rep at ITC told me that the problem was that they used lead free solder and it's melts at the temp that the LEDs create and have since rectified the issue. They replaced 4 that I purchased from CW. ITC is a great company.

Well, the first reply from ALANK seems to nail it. Regardless of if it is a solder issue, the new production fixtures have much larger LED elements.

I obtained a new one from ITC which I installed. then, out of curiosity, I removed the lenses from all my lights and found that every one of them were in various stages of failure. This a 17 month old coach with 9k miles of usage.

We were the second owner at 14 months. Winnebago was polite and referred us to ITC, but apparently, even a product wide failure isn't supported when you are out of their warranty. That would not/could not happen in the regulated automobile industry. It doesn't encourage me to shop Winnebago for my next motorhome and it is a lost opportunity for Winnebago who would be compensated by ITC.

Anyway, I'll repeat the quote above, ITC is a stand up company, and I will be shopping their product line for another need we have.

Thanks all for the insights resulting in a good resolution.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same issue for the LED's used in the Fleetwood products. FW too replaced most of mine. The remaining ones haven't failed yet probably because they are the lesser used ones and didn't heat up to cause the issue.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #11

Does anyone have the part number for these lights. I have a 2015 Navion with lights failing now just out of warranty. Thank you.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #12

gladerman, the number on the lights pictured in the first post is: GB 69240 & 69250 21, right off the light. Don't know why the two different numbers, the 21 indicates that there are 21 LED's in this light.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:40 AM   #13

Thanks. I sent an email to Winnebago over the weekend. Will see if they offer to help. I pulled the three mounting screws out of the light but it did not seem to move easily. I did not want to damage he headline so have not pulled to hard on it yet. Does anything else hold the light in place?
Old 12-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by galderman View Post
Thanks. I sent an email to Winnebago over the weekend. Will see if they offer to help. I pulled the three mounting screws out of the light but it did not seem to move easily. I did not want to damage he headline so have not pulled to hard on it yet. Does anything else hold the light in place?
Mine were tight too with the metal lip of the fixture slightly adhered to the headliner, and there are "fingers" on the fixture that slightly grab the foam insulation in which the future fits. I used a plastic trim tool (something like a plastic picnic knife) to gently separate the headliner then eased the fixture out. Contact ITC if they are the MFR, if your coach MFR won't stand by them. Our 2016 Winnebago had the ITC fixtures.

Marc

Tags
led, light, lights