Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Failure Of Slide-out Awning

We have a 42' 2009 American Coach Allegiance with a full-wall 27' slide. After25,000 miles, the slide itself has worked well. We are happy with the roomy floor plan.
This past summer, however, we experienced a failure or the Carefree of Colorado slide-out awning on top of that slide. While in transit, we heard loud banging noises on the motor home roof. I stopped on the interstate highway shoulder, climbed on the roof and discovered that the spring-loaded 27' long, 3" diameter drum, around which the awning material wraps/unwraps itself when the slide is retracted/extended, had pulled out of it cylindrical housing with the awning cloth stll attached to it and intact. The drum itself was kinked 20 degrees near its midpoint.
Since we were driving the coach, the slide was fully retracted and locked in-place. Therefore the awning cloth was fully wrapped around the drum until the whole assembly came out of the housing.
My theory is that, due to the shaking of the rig on a bumpy road (I-40, west of Oklahoma City), the 2 axial bolts securing the heavy drum at both ends of the housing sheared or unscrewed, leaving the awning assembly loose. Transit air flow plus wind "sucked" the assembly out of the housing.
Has anyone experienced or heard of that kind of failure?
Now, I have a $2000 dispute with CWCARE from whom I bought a 6-year Extended Sevice Agreement. The Agreement covers mechanical failure of awnings, which I claim this incident was. They say all kinds of nonsense, including consequential damages caused by the awning extending while driving! Yeah sure, with slide fully retracted! Has anyone had bad experience with CWCARE, the Camping World extended "warranty"?
I have contacted Good Sam who advertize they can use their clout to help resove extended warranty disputes. Has anyone used that service?
Thank you in advance for any comment and/or advice.

J-Y & Linda Perez
Elizabeth, Colorado
09 American Allegiance + 02 Jeep Wrangler
JYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
JYP.......You'll probably get a lot of responses that tell you to get a lawyer, which really isn't practical, but you my wnt to firmly imply that you will get a lawyer tyo solve this issue.

If you don't get anywhere with that, send an email to Motor Home Magazine nad they will send a letter to the warranty company on your behalf asking why they didn't warranty this issue. This is often VERY effective in getting these companies to respond.

Finally, if they won't repair it, take them to samll claims court. Sue them for the amount of the repair and the return of the warranty purchase price.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
I have the same full wall slide and could not imagine a road being rough enough to break a toper bolt without breaking you teeth. I have had the door awning shot out on the freeway due to a bad motor design.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Extended warranties are a ripoff.they just extend the bilking you get from dealers and corporations.glad to get that off my chest.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had good luck w/our extended warranty - but they're sticklers for their rules. Because you had it fixed without their concurrence and authorization you're probably out of luck without a lawyer since they all require preauthorization. I think you should continue to try but I don't know if you can be successful. Lot's of mixed stories on here about the warranties. Chassis and mechanical issues are one thing - extra's like the awning or other I think are probably harder to get them to cover due to the things ops might do with them...and they I'm sure have seen many things with awnings and folks not securing them correctly etc...keep us apprised of how this turns out!

One thing you can maybe do if they refuse to cover it and you haven't used it at all is to ask for a refund of the warranty price - they should do that and bid you 'good-bye' - At one point with ours I was upset and prior to using it they said I could gain a refund...
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 35LS - Ford F53 Chassis - Life is a Journey and Everyone Should Enjoy Theirs
Firstpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by JYP View Post
I have contacted Good Sam who advertize they can use their clout to help resove extended warranty disputes. Has anyone used that service?
Thank you in advance for any comment and/or advice.
Affinity Group, Inc owns Good Sam and Camping World.

Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote