Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #1

Fake news?

In an other thread here, someone inquired about whether quality issues voiced by Thor owners should be a major determining factor in selecting that brand over another. Just prior to reading that post, I read a thread on another RV forum detailing, yet again, problems with Thor QC.

Can anyone here confirm that Thor employees were handing out flyers at a recent RV show complaining about working conditions (under pressure to crank out so many units per)? Saw that in a post in the RV newsletter referenced above. Fake news?

I notice a lot of complaints about Thor RV's on various forums, but it is hard to discern that this is because Thor produces so many more units vs other manuf's (and statistically you would have more complaints issued) or because Thor's quality issues are much worse per 1,000 units vs other manuf's. Thor should not get a bad rap if it is the former.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
In an other thread here, someone inquired about whether quality issues voiced by Thor owners should be a major determining factor in selecting that brand over another. Just prior to reading that post, I read a thread on another RV forum detailing, yet again, problems with Thor QC.

Can anyone here confirm that Thor employees were handing out flyers at a recent RV show complaining about working conditions (under pressure to crank out so many units per)? Saw that in a post in the RV newsletter referenced above. Fake news?

I notice a lot of complaints about Thor RV's on various forums, but it is hard to discern that this is because Thor produces so many more units vs other manuf's (and statistically you would have more complaints issued) or because Thor's quality issues are much worse per 1,000 units vs other manuf's. Thor should not get a bad rap if it is the former.
I remember the days before a thousand cars were on a car lot.
You ordered your car from the factory. It took 6 weeks.
Then you had to hope the “ American worker” didn’t build it on a Monday ( weekends over I had to go back to work) or a Friday ( I can’t wait to get out of here, it’s Friday).
Tuesday and Thursday were iffy. Wednesday was the best day to have a vehicle built.
That was the 60’s -70’s -80’s. Then the Japanese introduced quality cars and ever since then the American car mfgs had to play catch up with quality .
All rv’s are made in the good ole USA. Quality standards? Who knows?
Really, really do due diligence when buying any new or used Rv. Gas or diesel IMO .
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I dont own a Thor but we did seriously consider a Miramar and or Challenger. The reason we didn't buy was because you could only get them at Camping World within 200 miles of me. Which brings me to my point, I am not sure if its Thors quality as the issue or the fact that a big part of the service/support comes from Camping World who is known for it's poor support.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #4

I know a few people who have or had Thor products. So I have concerns
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Had a Thor (Crossroads/Redwood) with problems...

and honestly I didn't care what the 'reason' was - it cost me a LOT of heartache and money !

One thing about workers complaining though...
if you don't like your job, be skilled enough to move on !!!!

I told the kids going to college, work hard the next 4 years and it will make the next 40 years a LOT easier! one of them worked hard for 8 years for her masters
Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
As mentioned the failure rate seems to be about the same for all manufacturers if you read this forum.

The thing that sets the manufacturers apart is the factory or dealer support. And that seems spotty. Some claim exceptional and others claim abysmal from the same manufacturer.

Inspect the floorplan you like very carefully. Find a dealer that is given a high rating for customer service and support.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #7

We bought our first RV, a 2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, this past June.

We have had a few issues, as we were warned to expect by family and friends. We initially relied on the dealer, Camping World, for the warranty work. After a couple experiences there, we found a mobile RV service and have not gone back to CW. My intent is to not have my RV serviced at CW unless I have no other options.

The coach itself is very nice. For the price, we feel we got a lot of great features including everything that was on our must-have list.

Thor workmanship is sloppy, IMO. Examples include the shower drain was never connected, so my first shower drained into the basement. The residential refrigerator fans were both not working when we got it, but did not discover this until our first trip. Ok, that’s a Whirlpool issue (and they sent a tech and promptly replaced the fans) but I’d have thought it would have been noted by the dealer. When I took the fridge out of the cabinet (required by Whirlpool, they won’t do that), I found a mess of sawdust, screws, and debris behind the fridge. The screws holding it in place were mismatched or missing.

The three TV sets are hooked up to the switcher in some haphazard manner that makes no sense. The passenger window screen is simply not there. CW took over an hour to locate the keys when we took delivery, and never found several.

I participate in the Thor owner forums and have read many comments about CW. It seems to vary greatly by store, some are great, some not so much.

Dealing with Thor Customer Care, on the other hand, has been fine.

I have nothing to compare this to, but for us, Thor is a good buy.

Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am in a Damon, Which id sa Thor brand. And though I had a few complaints when I bought it they were quickly resolved.

Alas. I do agree, Folks with issues tend to be very vocal, Happy campers not so much.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #9

Based on my personal and quantified research, I would NOT own a Thor product of any sort.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Based on my personal and quantified research, I would NOT own a Thor product of any sort.
So what is your personal experience? Mine has been GREAT!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post

I have talked to a Thor owner at a show and he said the quality these last few years is shoddy. Sounds like ISO2001 isnt working very well..lol
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
I have talked to a Thor owner at a show and he said the quality these last few years is shoddy. Sounds like ISO2001 isnt working very well..lol
Who was the owner and what unit did he have? Any insight to the problems?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Some guy at a RV show. I think we were in a Winnebago chatting about RVs.he said shoddy workmanship.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
ISO2001 is a quality assurance program.