Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Falcon 2 Problem-play in "Stinger"

Have a 39' DP using a Falcon 2 for towing. Noted a looseness in what Roadmaster terms the stinger (the male shaft that fits into the female component on the motorhome). Although the side to side play could be eliminated by the large bolt on the base of the stinger, the play on the stinger itself has a bolt at the bottom of the shaft that can not be tightened (no room for a ratchet to slip over the bolt- the bolt goes from one wall to the other wall). Called Roadmaster and they stated the stinger can not be tightened and the stinger must be replaced if there is any play(cost $190 on the internet). Has anyone else faced this problem and is there a solution other than replacement? Seems Roadmaster is requiring replacement rather than repair. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not sure I understand your specific problem, but if there are no defects in your equipment and you are trying to eliminate the "rattle" that results from the stinger when stuck into the receiver, try this:

http://www.hitchrider.com/hitch-vise-fit-guide-2.htm

Hope this helps. After trying other solutions, found this a couple of years ago and it works great.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #3

Roadmaster sells an add-on called the Quiet Hitch. I have two on mine on either side of the Hi-Lo add-on. I tighten after every major trip and I check it regularly while traveling.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

There's a number of gadgets out there to take care of your problem, but most are a bit pricey for me. We welded a bead on the front and rear of the stinger on any two adjacent sides, then took a small hand grinder and flattened the beads so they just fit in snugly into the hitch receiver. Any competent welder or welding shop would be able to do the same for you. Just remember to pull the stinger after each trip and blow out the accumulated dirt from the receiver. If you don't, the dirt will hold it in so tight you will need to drive it out with a hammer. Don't ask me how I know about that one (LOL).
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

The clean looking way is to weld spots on the stinger then grind off to fit or get something like this like others have posted.
Amazon.com: MaxxHaul 70283 4-Bolt Sturdy Anti-Wobble 2"x 2" Hitch Adapter Stabilizer: Automotive
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems the problem the OP is talking about is not that the 2" square male end of the tow bar is loose in the 2" sq ID receiver on the MH as other replies seem to address.
I think you are talking about the fit of the big bolt that goes into the end of the 2" sq hollow shaft of the tow bar.
I have a this looseness in my Falcon II tow bar and have seen the entire "Stinger Assy" for sale online at about $190. I have an exploded parts list for the tow bar and have mfg part numbers but the parts list states these parts are not sold individually. Being a DIY guy with time on my hands I am going to try and take mine apart anyway and rebuild the stinger assy. If it doesn't work out then I will have to buy the entire assy new or get a new tow bar. I'll let you know how I come out.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #7

The Falcon 2 parts list in their owners manual is listed as diagram piece #11, stinger assembly (color-coded black)....... 910019-20B. I believe this piece and it's fit into the RV's hitch receiver is what the OP is referring to. My comments are directed toward the fit of these two parts.

Going to Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories and clicking on the link to the owner's manual at the bottom of the page will bring up the manual as a .pdf file. the parts list and diagram can be found at the end of the manual along with the part numbers and piece nomenclature.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Blue Ox makes a nice one that stops the slack, both up/down and side to side.

Blue Ox BX88224

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461909403.097808.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	125561

RVUpgrades.com, one of the forum sponsors, has them.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Recei...-p/bx88224.htm

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
It would seem the original poster, glenmo85140 has left us after posting his question. I suspect he has it covered now. I now know first hand why Roadmaster does not sell repair parts for the stinger assy. Just taking it apart is tricky.