Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post

My 2 daughters are 24 & 19. I'm so proud to say they've always, and still do want to be with us.
They were even glad that I drove the bus for the private school they graduated from.
I hope we are as fortunate as you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #30

Tour + Bus + Hotel = Rotel, the hotel on wheels

http://www.rotel.de/

Old 08-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #31
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
We did allot of traveling few years back with children about your family size but our family size keep changing so we had to arrange sleeping arrangements as family size changed.
We never pulled a car but we did pull a pop-up for the added sleeping space, first one was a normal one with kitchen & cabinets but when we took a trip across Canada than back through to northern states we purchased a sleeper only pop-up,Dutchman, that would sleep 5-6 children comfortably.
It gave the kids a sense of freedom but we had a monitor between the RV's if there was a problem.
Most of the time the pop-up was always attached to MH hitch parked in pull thru.
We had 8-10 year olds, twin girls & two boys and some of the younger ones had a sleep over with the older ones and they thought that was cool.
The Dutchman had more miles than all the MH's, it road behind over the years.
The last ten years we have a Newmar bath1/2 gas coach which made life allot easier especially when they become teenagers.
When we reach our destinations we rented a Van to get around.
Good luck in your hunt, and you all have fun, the kids will for sure
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #32

We have a Berkshire which is a 40' bunk model. We have consistently slept six in our unit and have actually slept 9 a couple of times. We have a queen in the bedroom, two bunks, a couch with a queen sized air mattress which can comfortably sleep two, the dinette table drops down to sleep two more and the baby can be in a crib in the bedroom. The unit does only have one bath, but it does have a residential size refrigerator and a washer/dryer. Ours has a 5000 pound tow capacity, but I believe the 360 horse can tow 10,000. The only issue I see might be the cost as even an '08 is listing out for $90,000 but with some haggling may be had for closer to the number you are looking for.

You may want to consider the Berkshire or a similar model Coachmen which is somewhat cheaper than the Berkshire. BTW, the unit has been very good for us with only minimal problems.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #33

Re: seatbelts. We have 6 in ours. The thing is, 99% of the time my wife is laying in bed reading while we drive, so 6 seatbelts is sufficient for those up front. Just sayin'

The kicker is she HAD to have the power footrest on the passenger seat yet never sits there....

I would feel comfortable with your family size/age in my rig. Only real drawback is that you have to set up and take down the dinette each night (if you want to use the dinette, that said, we eat outside 99% of the time). Take a look at my floorplan, the 40L has 4 slides, washer/dryer which is HUGE with a family and tons of floor space in the "living room" with the slides out.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #34

Our Georgetown 351ds is gas, but has a queen in the back, 2 bunks on the side, pull down bunk over the front seats, queen pull out sofa, and if that's not enough, you can use the dinette. 5000 lb towing capacity. We only have 3 kids so we pull a jeep wrangler unlimited, but it could pull a small 3 row SUV. Plenty of room between loaded weight and gcwr. We love it.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
Our Georgetown 351ds is gas, but has a queen in the back, 2 bunks on the side, pull down bunk over the front seats, queen pull out sofa, and if that's not enough, you can use the dinette. 5000 lb towing capacity. We only have 3 kids so we pull a jeep wrangler unlimited, but it could pull a small 3 row SUV. Plenty of room between loaded weight and gcwr. We love it.
I would be interested to see some pics of the drop down bunk over the front seats. I searched for some but didn't see any.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #36

Take a look here: Used 2005 Beaver Santiam 40 DST Motor Home Class A - Diesel at RV Outlet Sales Wixom Michigan RV Outlet Sales

Ours is similar but we have a table and chairs (no dinette) and replaced the jacknife with a recliner.
The one above (although sold) has a dinette, sofabed and jacknife. it would likely sleep your whole family comfortably. Also bath & half and space for washer/dryer.
And it's in your budget

Point is, there is something out there to suit your needs. Ours has seatbelts for 6 but i'm sure we could add another.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #37

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a great source,but like anything else you have to watch what you buy. I have seen excellent deals on here.
Crankyape.com Bank repo rvs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, atvs, boats, trucks, trailers, go karts, jet skis, sleds, fourwheelers, trailers, motorhomes, rvs.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post

While I can't speak from experience, I don't thinks its that hard to have someone add seat belts.
Well, in that case then what's the big deal/problem?

Go buy whatever you have budgeted for the RV with a floor-plan that works for your family.

There is plenty of reading posted here about problematic brands and models but truthfully you will get that with most except for the custom Newell's and above.

With any new RV there will be time spent fixing what wasn't done correctly at the factory.

Jump in with both feet!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
While I can't speak from experience, I don't thinks its that hard to have someone add seat belts.
Ummm ... I had to take my (new!) Expedition back to the factory to have seat belts installed in the dinette. Regulations regarding use of suitable anchor points an other issues made it FAR from trivial to get seat belts installed. (Dealership would NOT do it). I would urge caution in assuming otherwise.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #40

As a thought, have you considered a 5th wheel and a dually to pull it with. Usually more storage than a M/H and you can have the kids in the back seat of the truck when you are traveling around. Also, I think a 5th wheel and dually may be more in your budget.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
As a thought, have you considered a 5th wheel and a dually to pull it with. Usually more storage than a M/H and you can have the kids in the back seat of the truck when you are traveling around. Also, I think a 5th wheel and dually may be more in your budget.
I have a crew cab diesel that I pulled a 5th wheel with when we had less children. We don't fit in there as a family anymore. Seats 6 on 2 benches.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a good blog coming up.

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote