Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
My parents have a Prevost so I am very familiar with them. I have gone over the busforsale site many times as well. We came to the conclusion that for now, we'd look for something cheaper that had slides. With 3 of the kids being under 5, we really don't need the dedicated sleeping spaces, we need the living space. As soon as bunks are added, the kitchen and living areas are shrunk. If needed, they can roll out a little foam and use a sleeping bag on the floor (they do this at home anyways sometimes). Any way you slice it, we'll be 'roughing it' to a degree no matter how big we go. We embrace that and will enjoy the adventure.

I did have the thought of taking a coach and making the back room a bunk room and having a nice pull out sofa up front for us. I moved away from that idea when we decided to just get something to get started with and then look into more custom ideas in the future. I had also thought of looking into a large class C toy hauler and converting the garage to a bunk room. I moved away from that idea as well when the few units in the category that would fit our other needs (capacities for water and towing) were above our desired price range. Also, we would lose a lot of basement storage in this type of set up.

Toad: will be either a Honda minivan, Suburban, or passenger van. Its most likely going to be a Suburban.
If you can swing the money part of it look at Buick Enclave. They have three row seating and are pretty comfortable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am just thinking out of the box and it is not answering your question but was an idea I had. We were at a RV dealer and just looking around last year before we decided to go from a 5er to a MH. One of the dealers had some new travel trailers that were 35 feet. They had a really nice bunk room in the back and slept a lot of people. bunks in the back with a tv. fold out couch queen bed in front. I do not remember how much storage space though unfortuneatly. Now I know you cant seat 7 people in a pickup. A Travel Trailer is a bumper pool. While helping a friend look for a sprinter on mercedes chassis with a diesel engine I noted they have those in 1 ton configuration. and they have them set up like a bus with multi row seating. You could use one of those with the number of seats you need. Take out the rest and put in a cot for one of the smaller children to sleep in while traveling possibly or to put in extra storage. I really do not know anything about them just saw what was available for sale for him. I know you are looking for class A but thought of this idea. Seems to fit all of your needs if enough storage and gives you room for all your passenger also might fit in close to your budget if you find used sprinter.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am just thinking out of the box and it is not answering your question but was an idea I had. We were at a RV dealer and just looking around last year before we decided to go from a 5er to a MH. One of the dealers had some new travel trailers that were 35 feet. They had a really nice bunk room in the back and slept a lot of people. bunks in the back with a tv. fold out couch queen bed in front. I do not remember how much storage space though unfortuneatly. Now I know you cant seat 7 people in a pickup. A Travel Trailer is a bumper pool. While helping a friend look for a sprinter on mercedes chassis with a diesel engine I noted they have those in 1 ton configuration. and they have them set up like a bus with multi row seating. You could use one of those with the number of seats you need. Take out the rest and put in a cot for one of the smaller children to sleep in while traveling possibly or to put in extra storage. I really do not know anything about them just saw what was available for sale for him. I know you are looking for class A but thought of this idea. Seems to fit all of your needs if enough storage and gives you room for all your passenger also might fit in close to your budget if you find used sprinter.
I had thought about something like this as well (ford or GM passenger van, not a Sprinter). I am more attracted to the MH option for a couple of reasons over towing.

Comfort while traveling (on road in your living room)
Greater tank capacities
Bigger/better generator set up
Quicker set up and take down

I'm not completely ruling it out, just more interested in a MH. I wasn't too big on the idea of towing a larger camper with a passenger van...do you think a sprinter is much different? Not many 3500's are set up as passenger vans, so I would probably have to convert it. That may allow for something like a forward and rear facing seat set up in there with a table though which would be nice.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #46

WOW, 2 of these would do the trick. Too bad they seem to be discontinued. That, and they were $6000+/ea Then again, with little modification needed to the RV, these may be a good alternative than having custom bunks drop from the ceiling (and have to re-route electric and duct work)

Doc Sofa and Bunk Bed www keepvid com - YouTube

Or this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zU4EzTIGSnE
Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
The Fleetwood Discovery has a bunkhouse model that sleeps 7. Two in master bed, two in bunks, two in inflatable sofa bed and one the dinette table that collapses to make a small bed. Only 1 bathroom though. Newer units have 22 cu ft residential fridges. You could probably find older models for <$75k. They have washer/dryer and good size holding tanks. Ours is 100 g fresh, 75g grey and 65g black I think. I'm biased because that's what we have. . Good luck!
I think you'd be very hard pressed to find a used Disc 40G (or any other DP bunkhouse) for $75k - they just haven't been making them that long so used ones (if you can even find one) are probably more in the $120k+ market.

Also, personally, I don't think I'd want 3 people on the hide-a-bed & dinette every day. I just find it too much of an inconvenience to make / undo the bed and you can't use the living area when they go to bed. Although with 7, you might not have any choice. You might be better off finding an older DP with a walking closet at the back where you can build bunks (although 4 is do-able, fitting 5 might be very tough)

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
I had thought about something like this as well (ford or GM passenger van, not a Sprinter). I am more attracted to the MH option for a couple of reasons over towing.

Comfort while traveling (on road in your living room)
Greater tank capacities
Bigger/better generator set up
Quicker set up and take down

I'm not completely ruling it out, just more interested in a MH. I wasn't too big on the idea of towing a larger camper with a passenger van...do you think a sprinter is much different? Not many 3500's are set up as passenger vans, so I would probably have to convert it. That may allow for something like a forward and rear facing seat set up in there with a table though which would be nice.
I understand completely like I said I was just thinking about your needs and the idea just kind of struck me. I have seen several of the sprinter chassis set up with seats like passenger vans. I do not know how much they can tow only that they are a 1 ton rated vehicle with a mercedes benz diesel. There are a lot of plusses to a class A but to be honest I have not seen too many of them that can sleep 7 conveniently. I did look at a winnebago gas unit once that had bunk beds for about your price range. I did not drive it because I did not need the extra beds. The only reason I mentioned this was the travel trailer I am talking about was one of the nicest units for use with several children that I have seen and I believe would fit in your budget or close to it.

If you can find them Ford used to make an expedition that had a diesel in the 3/4 ton and 1 ton version. But I regress. I do not blame you for wanting a class A If i see anything I will post it
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
If you can find them Ford used to make an expedition that had a diesel in the 3/4 ton and 1 ton version. But I regress. I do not blame you for wanting a class A If i see anything I will post it
For clarity, it is a Ford Excursion with the Power Stroke Diesel. It is what I used to tow my travel trailer and it has 3 legitimate rows of seating. A great rig that I am in the process of setting up as a TOAD now.

You could obviously fit 7 comfortably in the excursion, but a traveling living room it aint ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
For clarity, it is a Ford Excursion with the Power Stroke Diesel. It is what I used to tow my travel trailer and it has 3 legitimate rows of seating. A great rig that I am in the process of setting up as a TOAD now.

You could obviously fit 7 comfortably in the excursion, but a traveling living room it aint ;-)

Chris
Thank you for correcting me. I have only seen one of them and I thought it was an expedition.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #51

check out the Palazzo 33.3... you mention you will upgrade in a couple of years. I took the advice from folks here. Buy your last coach first. The $75K budget is tuff for a diesel.

Our 33.3 will sleep 8 comfortably... queen in the back and front over head, 2 twin bunks and a queen inflatable sleeper sofa. We pull a 4dr jeep wrangler with no issues, It is a smaller DP though so only 1 bath (the 36.1 is the 1.5 bath model). Good luck with your search...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #52

Have you thought much about how you will travel once you get to a campsite? It's a PITA to drive a 40-foot vehicle and set up at a campsite and then find out you need an extra toothbrush or some such item. If you got a 36 or 38-foot class A and towed a van, you could sleep 4 comfortably in the RV and 3 in the van. And if you need to go anywhere, you could get the whole family in the van.

sjkted
Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkted View Post
Have you thought much about how you will travel once you get to a campsite? It's a PITA to drive a 40-foot vehicle and set up at a campsite and then find out you need an extra toothbrush or some such item. If you got a 36 or 38-foot class A and towed a van, you could sleep 4 comfortably in the RV and 3 in the van. And if you need to go anywhere, you could get the whole family in the van.

sjkted
Always planned to have a van or large suv towed for that purpose. Not considering separate sleeping vehicles due to age of children/security.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #54

Check out some of the la rger class B's and the classC mhs.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not know anything about georgetown RV's but one in Ebay right now that is what you are looking for maybe and price is right. Do not know about towing or anything like that. maybe someone else will post more about these item # 181209435735 on ebay
Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #56

Thor Owners Club
I don't think anyone has yet mentioned a toy hauler. The garage can be setup as a bunkhouse/bedroom. You won't need to tear down the dinette daily to make a bed.
Damon Outlaw is the most popular although it's gas not diesel.

pablo77rv is offline   Reply With Quote