Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
We're going to be adding seat belts if needed.
I should expand...Our thoughts were to add additional secured seating behind the front passenger chair if it didn't already exist (euro chair, desk, etc.) We would add an additional dinette (preferably a u-shape) or possibly 2 swivel Flexsteel chairs (a la certain Newmar Allstar models). There are probably other models set up this way, but that was the first to came to mind). This way we could put the forward and rear facing car seats for the youngest children up close to mommy and the older kids can be belted in with their boosters around the dinette or couch. I would like having the second dinette for extra desk and eating space. It would also give a second puzzle or game table. I would look for something where we could easily stow the table top when traveling so it would allow enough room for the larger car seats. I think we gain more with the second dinette.

The point is, the coach itself (size, power, room layout) is the starting point. Belted seating can be modified as needed (which is a probably already a given with the number of passengers.)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
I hadn't even thought of the weight thing but I agree with Curdy, the bunks / kids are going to be a comparable weight to the bed / adults that he would replace.

In case it can help, here's some pictures of our 03 Phaeton. In ours, I think you'd have to keep the base of the bed but you could probably build bunks on top of the base. One thing is that you'd have remove the cabinets above the bed but that's probably no big deal:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1154159...lideMechanism#

To give you an idea of the height, I think the base of the bed is about the same height as the bottom bunk you see in the back. I think there's about 25" above the bunks.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #73

Consider something other than a class A. Try a super C. when I was looking a few years back I could only find the gas versions in your price range, but the diesels should be there now. Look for a Jayco Seneca or similar on a Kodiak chassis. From what I saw, they would easily sleep 7 and are more family oriented than a class A.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
I hadn't even thought of the weight thing but I agree with Curdy, the bunks / kids are going to be a comparable weight to the bed / adults that he would replace.

In case it can help, here's some pictures of our 03 Phaeton. In ours, I think you'd have to keep the base of the bed but you could probably build bunks on top of the base. One thing is that you'd have remove the cabinets above the bed but that's probably no big deal:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1154159...lideMechanism#

To give you an idea of the height, I think the base of the bed is about the same height as the bottom bunk you see in the back. I think there's about 25" above the bunks.
Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pictures. I agree that leaving the base as is in that set up with building bunks on top would be the way to go. Regarding the cabinets, yes, I think the would have to come out unless the smaller children had the top bunks. I don't think that will happen, so more than likely out they'll go.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #75

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdy View Post
Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pictures. I agree that leaving the base as is in that set up with building bunks on top would be the way to go. Regarding the cabinets, yes, I think the would have to come out unless the smaller children had the top bunks. I don't think that will happen, so more than likely out they'll go.
A word of caution about not taking the bunk design over and around an existing slide system seriously. I did not read all of the post to see if you had a specific coach or model in mind but the designs change from model to model, manufacturer to manufacturer and year to year.

When I look at our rear bed layout and slide design I cannot see how the elimination of the king bed wouldn't expose the slide mechanism and impact access and clear floor space.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpmich View Post
A word of caution about not taking the bunk design over and around an existing slide system seriously. I did not read all of the post to see if you had a specific coach or model in mind but the designs change from model to model, manufacturer to manufacturer and year to year.

When I look at our rear bed layout and slide design I cannot see how the elimination of the king bed wouldn't expose the slide mechanism and impact access and clear floor space.
Not really sure what you mean about not taking it seriously.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #77

From michelb's pics of her 03, you could do exactly that in my coach. Pull the laundry and convert the master closet to a 2 bed bunk setup. That is a great setup. On ourse, there is still decent room to walk around the back side of the bed and get in and out of the bunks. If you did that the slides would be unaffected. That gives y ou 4 folks in the bedroom and 3 to shard the couches and dinettes out front. Seems that would work wonderfully and still leave a real bed for the parents.

@michelb - Was that bunk setup OEM or something you added? Cool floorplan.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #78

Tiffin Owners Club
From the previous post, I think Curdy's plan is to take convert the master into a kids room by removing the queen/king and replacing it with 2 sets of bunks.

On my floorplan, it's probably not trivial but it's certainly do-able. I think the best option on mine would be to simply remove the queen mattress, the side table / shelf and the overhead and then attach a larger 'floor' onto the bed base and build the bunks on that. I don't think it would be trivial but I don't think it's impossible. One catch is that it would have to be done in a way that it's not impossible to remove the bunks if you need to service the slide mechanism and / or the engine through the comparment (I'm not sure how other DPs are setup; ours has a engine access panel in the closet (I would need to remove the lower bunk mattress to get to mine) and there's one in front of the closet on the raised floor between the bed and the closet (which is still accessible in ours)). What I'm envisioning would be something where the bunks would move with the slide (build on the bed platform so they'd have to be able to mostly support themselves and be secured to the base and slide-out wall but I don't think that's unfeasible).

As far as our bunk conversion, I did it myself but it was just replacing the existing closet which goes wall-to-wall (W/D are in the front) so it wasn't particularly difficult even if I don't have a whole lot of experience / skill as a carpenter. Here are a few pics of my conversion: https://picasaweb.google.com/1154159...03PhaetonBunks

For Curdy, if you haven't already seen it, I think this is a YouTube video of the TravelSupreme with 4 bunks in the walk-in (which I might have mentioned in an earlier reply) but that floorplan wouldn't have the 1 1/2 bath you were hoping for. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...52434380,d.dmg (hope the video is the right one; YouTube is blocked by the firewall at work so I can't actually see it). If you decide that's something you'd like to do, there are a few floorplans with walk-ins available that would have the space.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #79

At this point I'm not looking to modify any closet space. We'll need that space.