Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #1

Family of six!

Hi, I am new-be and would like to purchase an RV that would sleep us all. Don't really want to convert a bus, but would like something safe that I can get for around $30,000. Any suggestions? Thx. Look at a 1993 Foretravel U225 that had 53,000 miles with a Cummins and Banks job. I felt the inside was just to small. But an awesome motorhome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi rfanti -

I'm pretty new too on this forum but I have been doing this for a few years (RV ing) and I'm on my second coach.

Like you, I bought my first one used just to see if I would like it.

I take it from your post that you are looking for a coach and not a trailer/fiver. That said, your timing is good as a buyer since the recession has cratered pricing a bunch and $30k should buy you a decent "starter" used coach.

I notice you are in Tenessee and not so close to Texas, but just the same you may want to check out Used RVs, Motorhomes, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

PPL is one of the largest, if not THE largest, dealer in consignment RV's and they are located over in Houston. I've never bought a coach there but I know a few that have and they all report a good experience. As a web site, it's a good place to go just to get a feel for what's out there in used coaches (or trailers) and that can help a lot when you then turn to your local dealers and private resellers.

Also, you may want to expand your post to give a better description of the size/model of the Foretravel you looked at so that other's can figure out what you consider small. Naturally, with a family of six, you need room to sleep six and most coaches will do that, although not necessarily in total comfort for everybody, depending on their ages.

By the way, Foretravel is built right here in Texas (Nagadoches - oldest town in Texas) and has an excellent reputation. I can't speak to the model you looked at, but many RV'ers consider a used Foretravel to be a pretty good investment. Foretravel was one of the last to offer slides on their coaches (they say they wanted to wait and "do it right" and if you see one of their new units, you would probably agree that they accomplished that goal) so I'm guessing the one you saw had no slides, based on it's age. I'm sure that once you see a few DP's or Gasers with a slide or two you will lose that feeling of "too small".

Some of the newer coaches feature bunk beds which are a real good option for larger families like yours. They sleep a couple of kids in a relatively small space and don't need to be "made up" for each night out. However, I'm not sure you will find this feature in too many used units in that $30k price range. But others on this forum may have better ideas.

There are dozens of threads on this forum dealing with what to look for and consider in a used RV, so dig in and start your studies and I'm sure you will learn a LOT that will apply to your search.

Don't get in a hurry and buy the first "good deal" you find, since every used coach is different and their are MANY to choose from, especially in this market.

Good hunting!

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfanti View Post
Hi, I am new-be and would like to purchase an RV that would sleep us all. Don't really want to convert a bus, but would like something safe that I can get for around $30,000. Any suggestions? Thx. Look at a 1993 Foretravel U225 that had 53,000 miles with a Cummins and Banks job. I felt the inside was just to small. But an awesome motorhome!
Don't rule out ebay as an option. I have bought 2 mh's that way (one new and one late model Class A DP) and had a great experience and got a very fair price. Both purchases were from dealers. Many of the coaches there are sold by dealers who are flipping trades or selling bank repos. They often can provide an extended warranty/service plan, too. Check their ratings to get comfortable with their business practices. Many of them will allow you to "back out" if you are not happy when you come to pick up the mh. Plus ebay provides a $50,000 protection plan for many of the vehicles sold there (if there is a misrepresentation, failure to deliver, title, etc). Happy shopping.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd look for an A class gas with bunks, queen and a sleeper couch.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
I would look at a c class - our 31' minnie winnie sleeps at least 6 depending on size of the 6!
2 in the bedroom
2 in the cabover
at least one on the sofa / could be 2 smaller kids
one on the dinette conversion / could be 2 small kids
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #6

Everyone says, stay away from gas! Why?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #7

Would anyone care to take a look at ebay on this one and tell me what they think? Thx. Item number:320552730838
Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfanti View Post
Everyone says, stay away from gas! Why?
Nothing wrong with gas, don't know who you are talking to, maybe dealers that only have deisels. How do you intend to use it? If only for trips and weekends then a gas is totally adequate. For your price range it's also going to be easier to find a nicer unit in terms of age and mileage. Deisels are great for driving longer distances and longer engine service life.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is nothing wrong with gassers and take it from someone from the dark side. IMHO you should be looking at a C as they tend to have more sleeping room as rf4 has pointed out. It is your first coach and will let you see if you like it. If you keep with it you will probably upgrade as you sleeping requirements change. They tend to be closer to your price range for a newer model. Look at one with a slide out and jacks. You can add an add a room which will give you additional space.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #10

Thank-you all for the great info. I am just afraid that the C-class doesn't handle as well as the pushers, and that they are made cheaper. Looking on Ebay, I have found several in the 2000 to 1995 that are in the 30,000's that sleep six. Just having a difficult time trying toi find out which is the best for my money.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #11

Does anyone know if this is a good coach "2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8378 MXG Trio", Thx.