Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Family Sized Class A

My three small children turned into teenagers and the Winnebago Brave we have had the last 5 years seems to have shrunk. I saw the Itasca Sunstar 32K has U shaped dinette and bunk beds that look family friendly - does anyone know of another RV that has a similar layout? Thank you!

Sarah & Andrew

3 Children
SarahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood Storm and Damon Daybreak both have a bunk model that are pretty much in line with the Sunstar in price. I don't want to get into a brand discussion. There are certainly differences in quality throughout the field.

Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
We looked at the Fleetwood Fiesta with the bunk beds also, we ended up buying a Southwind because of the price.
2002 Southwind 32v
Ford Triton V10
jscribn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
I have a 2011 Daymon Daybreak 35BR - two bunks in addition to the normal stuff - couch folds out to a queen and the dinette converts to a space 2 golden retrievers or a human under 9 might use.

The bunks work great. We have an 11 year old and she love it. TV right there that they can see, Each bunk gets a window, privacy curtain and doors that slide to separate the main bedroom from the bunk room from the main area.

One thing to consider on any coach is the room for two teen girls clothes. Ours has a nice sized closet that my wife and daughter share for stuff that hanges. It has two drawers under it and then there is a set of drawers next to it. Some coaches I've seen lack this and have a lot of counter space where the drawers are. Great for an older couple, not so great for storage.

Only 3 of us (plus the dog) and we did 18 days and 4K+ miles from Michigan to the Grand Canyon area and were not lacking for space. It was great !! If we had one more kid on board I can't say it would be any more crowded.

And ignore all the veiled comments about Brand X being better than Brand Y There are lower price points in each manufacturers line, so you get what you pay for, but overall I have no problem with the Damon.
2011 Damon Daybreak 35DB
Robot9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Tiffin Allegro Open Road 35 QBA is also a bunkhouse coach.

Tiffin Motorhomes | Tiffin Motorhomes Celebrating 40 years on the road

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
I have a 2011 fleetwood storm 32BH. I have 4 kids and also wanted to be able to take grandma and grandpa on trips with us. It has 2 queen beds(one over the drivers area like a class c and one in back), 2 bunks, the fold out couch(younger kid or real young kids), and the dinette that converts to a bed. Plus for eating there is as and extra dinette in the back that converts to the bunk beds at night. We have been very happy with being able to accommodate everyone. We have slept 8 adults, but the person on the couch must be ok with their feet hanging off.
jeremyee49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A super c would be worth a look too. Jayco's seneca had a bunk layout, with a big bunk over the cab, in a 36 ft diesel engine coach
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
I think all manufacturers make at least one bunkhouse (most do gas and diesel and may have multiple bunk floorplans). If you don't feel that strongly about class A, it might be worth looking at class C as well since they tend to have more useable sleeping capacity.

As silly as it sounds, the first thing to consider is your budget. I suspect you can get a bunkhouse for as little as $50k and you can easily spend $500k.

While it's certainly possible to make do with any size (there are probably millions of families that camp with tents and pop-ups), if I was buying, I'd really look for something where you don't have to take down / put sleeping areas every day as well as something that still gives adults space to stay up when the kids go to bed (although that might mean going to something 35'+ long). Also consider the sitting positions when travelling and seat belts (not all mhs have seatbelts at the dinette).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
I haven't been thru a lot of class A's with bunks, but most of the ones I have seen didn't have much weight capacity on the bunks themselves - two 12 year old boys would be too much for a lot of the bunks I have seen.
dropframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
We have a Coachmen Mirada 34BH, just bought it a year ago. No issues, great floor plan.
Jrf4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Fourwinds Hurricane 34b. Rv shows (Pomona) currently have them @ 79k with full body paint and all the other goodies. The bunks are rated for 350lbs and seem to be longer than the rest of the Gas units. The Allegro is the nicest unit with the nicest bunks with a price tag of 130k. The 34b is 35' where as the Damon, Storm, and Coachmen are 32'. The extra 3' makes a big difference in the kitchen area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6862.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	16808  
2007 Thor Hurricane 34B 15k F53 20,500 GVWR
1974 VW Thing toad
alyupe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Bunk in

We travel in a Newmar Grand Star 3510. It is the common bunkhouse layout, with triple slides. It runs on the 8.1L Workhorse chassis and tows a 2010 Ford Edge. I have two young'ins and with the deep drawers under the bunks and the hanging wardrobe with 6 drawers under it we don't lack for space. With that and the space under the bed/basement we are able to carry as much as we need for our three week trips. As previously stated, look for something in the 35' range, the extra feet make all the difference both on the road and with the jacks down. If you would like pictures or the brochure let me know.

Longhornjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Originally Posted by Jrf4865
We have a Coachmen Mirada 34BH, just bought it a year ago. No issues, great floor plan.
I have owned the same coachmen model, the fleetwood fiesta 34BH and now our newmar. All have been and are great RV's.

Other then my current one the fleetwood was the best, the 22.5 tires made a world of difference and was over all much more reliable then the Coachmen.
Shaun & Jarese - Denver Co
3 Kids, Nicholas 16, Alex 13, Cassie 9 Years
Newmar AllStar 3950 (mid-engine diesel)
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #14
Ford Super Duty Owner
bunkhouse class A

We have the Four Winds Hurricane 34B, purchased in early 2008. It has served us well with good support from the manufacturer and dealer. The bunks are handy for extra storage on long trips when it is just the two of us and the bunks are great when company travel with us.

The best part of using the bunks for company is that the living room area stays set up without needing to open the couch bed.

Happily Retired
teebee1 is offline   Reply With Quote