Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Fan Speed Regulator?

So a while ago the coupler between my Cat engine the the radiator pump that turns the radiator fan fell apart.

It overheated. I took it to a Cat shop. I was in Austin headed back to Cali. So I rented a Uhaul to pull my trailer and left the RV in Austin.

They replaced the coupler and said everything was ready to pick up. So I flew back to Austin and picked up the RV.

I noticed right away that that the alternator wasn't charging the chassis batteries, but it was charging the house batteries.

They said it was probably just so low it needed to drive to charge.

I left and about one exit later it overheated again. Which was weird because the fan came on and it stayed at 185 degrees while we were idling trying to charge the battery.

With a high idle we can get the engine up to 217 and the fan seems to turn fast.

Coolant is full.

Not sure why it's not charging the batteries or keeping the engine cool.

Also the battery coupler button is not raising the voltage like normal even though the house batteries have a full 14 volts.

This is a 97 Beaver Patriot with a Cat 330 3126 and a side radiator and fan.

One guy here is guessing the overheat might have messed something up in whatever regulates the speed of the fan.

Any clues what we're hunting for here? I would hate to have to fly back to Cali and leave it here again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #2

The shop probably didn't road test the coach, so they didn't experience the problems your seeing.
There are several different control systems for the hydraulic cooling fan systems for the side radiator equipped coaches, and what works on my Freightliner might not work on your coach.
My F/L has a solenoid controlled fluid flow block, between the pump and the fan motor that bypasses fluid back to the hydraulic tank when high fan speed is not required. Disconnecting the two wire connector from the block sets the fan to high speed and should stop the over heating.
The no charge to the chassis batteries should be a separate issue; and an odd one at that; because the alternator should prioritize the chassis batteries with charging the coach batteries as secondary.
Can you get some jumper cables between the two sets of batteries to keep you mobile?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The fact that your "battery coupler" doesn't work explains why the hosue batteries aren't charging via alternator - the two functions use the same relay to connect the two battery banks. Either the relay is bad or it has become disconnected somehow, e.g. a blown fuse or broken wire.

This is unrelated to the fan issue, though it's always possible the shop mucked up something while working on the coach.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

The shop bypassed the thingy between the pump and the fan and now it spins full speed. And is very cool, 180 or so.

I did run cables between the house and coach which is working to get me back to Cali.

Thanks for the help!

I'll investigate further when I get home.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #5

The coupler they replaced is a Magnaloy Flexible drive coupling. The modified Model 500 was original equipment. Misalignment will cause premature insert failure. If the insert is not replaced coupling failure will occur. A Model 600 upgrade is available for some applications. Proper alignment is critical to long life.

I would check your fluid level for the hydraulic fan system and replace the filter if it has been on there a while.

The fan motor is controlled by a wax valve mounted on it.

There is an isolator that keeps the chassis and house batteries separated. If you look into the engine compartment, from the back of the coach mine is located on the passenger side against the "fire wall". Deep into the engine compartment. Best access is to raise the bed. There are a couple of large fuses there also and a big relay.

The terminal labeled A alt, comes from the alternator. It feeds the output terminal through two large high current diodes, one going to terminal 1 for main battery, and 2 for the second battery bank. The diodes prevent current from going in the reverse direction from one battery bank to the other. (Isolator)

With the engine running, measure from the alt pin to ground, and you should see about 13.8 to 14.4 volts or so, if your batteries are charged and in good shape. At terminal two or three to ground, you should see several tenths of a volt lower than the A terminal, which is caused by the diode voltage drop.

97 Beaver Patriot, Cat 3126, Aqua Hot
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

With the fan on constant high speed , expect to get poor fuel mileage and have the coach feel sluggish. Takes about 50 HP. to keep the fan operating at max .

Tags
fan