Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Fan won't divert to defrost- floor and vent ok

I'm new here and to RV'ing in general. I have followed some threads and think I have basic idea but.. My 2004 Escaper, built on a Freightliner chassis won't blow air through the dash vents when set to defrost. Move the dash switch to floor or to vent and they work fine. Just defrost. I found a device on the firewall to left of the generator that people were talking about. I can hear it working when the switch is moved and it seems to have an empty air connection (there seem to be 3 but only 2 have hoses) but I don't have any hoses just swinging free. Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120428123121.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	20490  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
That's the vacuum generator/pump in your posted image. There should be a tube going from it to a spherical reservoir like the one in the picture below.

There should be a tube going from the reservoir or control valve in the dash to a vacuum powered actuator like this one.

You can pull the tube between the pump and the reservoir to see if vacuum it present.

HTH

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson0412 View Post
Snip...My 2004 Escaper, built on a Freightliner chassis won't blow air through the dash vents when set to defrost. Move the dash switch to floor or to vent and they work fine. Just defrost. Snip
I'm confused...'won't blow air through the dash vents when set to defrost' - it's suppose to work like that. In a normal system there is a little bleed through though.

'Move the dash switch to floor or to vent and they work fine. Just defrost' - again confused, are you saying that just defrost doesn't work? Or that you only get defrost air in the floor & vent positions?

The dash system needs a vacuum to operate the vent doors to direct air flow to the mid-section or the floor. The default when there is a vacuum failure is to provide defrost air to keep the window defrosted.

If you get air everywhere except defrost, then the failure is likely in the control or the door control cable. JMO.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My '04 Freightliner works the same. On defrost the air will blow through two of the side vents to keep the side windows clear.
My air valve looks the same as yours with one unused fitting.
The vent door to divert air to the different locations is motor driven, turn on the ignition w/o the engine and you will the motor drive. The vacuum resevoir shown is for the fresh air/recirculate door.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry that I wasn't more clear. It will blow air through the floor vents when control is set to floor and it will blow air through the front vents (straight towards the driver/passenger) when set to vent, but when it is set to defrost it only blows out the floor vents. I can hear a motor driving when i go from floor to vent but nothing to defrost setting. Maybe the switch itself? I'll check that just to make sure. Thanks for the replies
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #6

Those are vacuum switches. If you look at the back of the main control, you'll likely see several brightly colored 'tubes' that look like wires. Your main vacuum device is likely OK as I said the default is for defrost if you lose vacuum but you seem to still have that. I'd look for a disconnected, broken, or kinked hose under the dash in that rats nest you likely have under there. Good luck!

BTY, in my rig, I did lose my vacuum and it did default to defrost. It does provide some heat but not for the feet. The vacuum pump cost was $305, yikes. Haven't installed it yet.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a thought. Since the default (no vacuum) position is the defrost mode, disconnect the vacuum line going to the vent controls, then check for air from the defrost defusers. An idea, could the ducting to the defrosters be disconnected from the fan distribution box or from the defusers, or maybe a broken duct hose? Maybe the air felt on the floor in defrost mode is actually air blowing out of the distribution box, broken hose, etc. Just my two cents...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the great tips! Turns out it was a device under the dash. All I had to do was curl up into a ball, put the gas pedal in my ear and shine a light while the Mrs moved the switch. It would pull up just fine but gummy going down which was the defrost setting. A bit of cleaning and a spot of spray and we're back to normal. Just can't be w/o defrost in the Northwest!

Tags
fan, vent