Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Fantastic fan Vent covers on roof

My RV dealer recommends I buy some fantastic fan vent covers so I can have then open/cracked without worries. I've seen a few different models and from my understanding they are easily screwed down with a phillips head screwdriver. Anybody have any recommendations for these? Are there any other covers I need to buy to better weather proof my new motorhome? Thanks
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
TGR

I bought maxxairs from CW. Bought them on sale.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

We have three Fantastic fans and I have covered all three of them with Maxair covers. I use the $30.00 variety with no issues. This is the fourth MH I have done this way. They say you have to buy the $100.00 type.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad10th View Post
My RV dealer recommends I buy some fantastic fan vent covers so I can have then open/cracked without worries. I've seen a few different models and from my understanding they are easily screwed down with a phillips head screwdriver. Anybody have any recommendations for these? Are there any other covers I need to buy to better weather proof my new motorhome? Thanks
I installed Max Air vent covers over my 2 Fantastic fans on my Alpenlite 5er. They work great, I got the large covers about $90 each and they keep the rain out plus you can go down the road with the vent up some with no problems. Right now here in Oregon it is raining hard at time and both of the vents are open. It takes more than a phillips screwdriver, you need a cordless drill and some wrenches to install. My Country Coach has rain sensor fantastic vent covers so if it rains they closes by themself.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

I use the MaxAir Fan Mate rain covers. It allows us to keep the vent open when in storage. I know some say that it restricts air flow when the fans are on. Not sure it makes any difference as we have the speed turned down to medium as it is.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #6

I have installed the Fantastic Fan covers. Very easy and great to leave vents open while in storage and also to vent coach while cooking and with rain. Got mine off Ebay for 45.00 each. Vent cover has pins with clips to easy remove to clean and check.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Quote:
I believe there are good reasons to have the covers installed. One is the rain, you will want to use them if its raining or not. Another is that you can run them when going down the road with a vent cover. I have a vent in the bathroom that does not have a vent cover (other than the one you screw up and down manually), and I am looking forward to replacing this with a fantastic fan and a cover. You will know what I mean when you are using the facilities and it starts raining....

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Take your pick, on brands, get them, you will see the benefits. Its a good upgrade you will not regret.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Just one caution about driving with the vents open, you'll create negative pressure in the RV (especially if windows are closed) and it can 'suck' black tank odors into the cabin. Not a pleasant smell.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #10

Alright.. Thanks for all of the feedback
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I bought maxxairs from CW. Bought them on sale.
X2, I had them install them took maybe 15 minutes for both, I slept in the MH Friday night and we got 2 inches of rain and both were open and no water. We got 1/2 in last night and still dry.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We're attending the GS rally in Syracuse in June. These MaxAir covers are on our list of things to get. Thanks for all the info.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have installed MaxxAir II covers on my last two MH's. They need a little more than a screwdriver to install but not much, watch the installation viedo on the CampingWorld site.
I suggest covers that have a screen behind the louvers otherwise bugs and debris will find it's way in.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Buy a flip up mount. Makes any vent easy to clean.