Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

Fantastic vent fan

Can someone explain how these things work? Not sure of the model but it's 3 speed forward or reverse, temperature sensitive, rain sensor. This thing is opening and closing on and off all day but the fan does not run? I cannot figure out how to start the fan? I can open it? but no fan. Help please
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

Lower the temp. On remote.
Wbitz81670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Most Fantastic fans have a manual and an automatic mode. If you are in the auto mode it will open or close based on temp or rain. Lower the temperature if you are in the auto mode. Or, put it into manual mode. In doing so the vent cover should open and the fan come on once it open a bit. Your controller will be able to change the fan speeds. Additionally in the vent itself there is a manual control for the fan. A word of caution, if you are in the manual mode your rain sensors will not operate, (don't ask how I know this).
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

It opens and closes automatically but how do you turn on the fan?
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #5

I assume you have a remote. There is an up and down arrow. Below that is the auto/manual/off button. The first push of the auto/manual/off button raises the vent cover. It's in the auto mode---which means it's temperature sensitive. The auto light will be on. Look at the temp lights; you'll probably have the top one on, meaning the fan won't come on until the temp exceeds that value (90 degrees). Tap the down arrow and lower the fan threshold. OR tap the auto button again: that puts it in the manual mode in which the up/down arrows control speed. If the fan isn't on tap the up arrow. Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

There is a switch under the vent cover that may need adjusting. Climb up on the roof, take several small wrenches of various sized because I can't remember the size. Set the fan on manual and turn the adjustment knob to maximum fan speed. Doing this defeats the rain sensor and also makes sure the fan motor is set to run. Tighten the nut on the switch slightly and see if the fan starts.

The switch makes the ground connection for the fan motor and the connection corrodes a bit over time. Tightening the nut will improve the connection. KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE FAN BLADES.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #7

Sounds like you have the top of the line model . But what year is your coach ? Does it look like original equipment ?
Motors have been known to fail , but I'd be looking into the motor ground wire first.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a thought the motor has a fuse in the frame of the fan itself, or more aptly put mine do. Maybe yours as well. It is obvious, has a cap which opens to expose the fuse.

Also a plunge type switch on top ( i access mine from the roof) that gets rusty and needs a little squirt of silicone. If it does not work the fan will not go on.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
There is a switch under the vent cover that may need adjusting. Climb up on the roof, take several small wrenches of various sized because I can't remember the size. Set the fan on manual and turn the adjustment knob to maximum fan speed. Doing this defeats the rain sensor and also makes sure the fan motor is set to run. Tighten the nut on the switch slightly and see if the fan starts.

The switch makes the ground connection for the fan motor and the connection corrodes a bit over time. Tightening the nut will improve the connection. KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE FAN BLADES.
5/8" as I remember.
Sounds like it got a little corrosion on the threads which tightening the bolt will cure.
On ours, set for automatic, the dome stays up all the time and the fan varies it's speed with the temp as it rises or lowers. We have the two dial wall control. On manual the dome goes up and the fan runs at whatever speed we set it at.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had one that ran and opened and closed all the time, ended up being the thermostat, called Fantastic fan, told them my problem and they sent me a new
thermostat no charge.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #11

Call Fantastic fans they told me about the switch under the cover. Also told me about the rain sensor there also and how to clean them. I will not get to looking at it till tomorrow but will let everyone know. Thanks for the help. Gary

Tags
fan, vent