Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #127

Tiffin Owners Club
For kicks I looked up some traffic stats. Trying to find "RV" or "motorhome" as a vehicle type is almost futile, "other/unknown" is probably where some RV stats are lumped, as well as "heavy trucks", which also includes semi-haulers obviously.

That said, here's what I found for year 2010:

vehicle occupants killed per vehicle type:

12,435 - passenger cars
9,752 - light trucks
529 - heavy trucks
543 - 'other' ...

vehicle occupants injured per vehicle type:

1,253,000 - cars
733,000 - light trucks
20,000 - heavy trucks
5,000 - 'other'

===========
Based soley on these numbers, combining cars & light trucks, and combining heavy trucks and 'others', this means you're 79x more likely to be injured, and 21x more likely to be killed, riding in cars vs. riding in big vehicles...

Next, accidents per 100 million miles. Unfortunately, no 'other' vehicle data on this, but here goes anyway--

Passenger cars - 1.18
Light trucks - 1.53
Heavy trucks - 1.22

By the mile, these numbers are statistically equal, and I would assume then that RV's would also be close...
===================

And, accidents per 100,000 registered vehicles:

Passenger cars - 13.09
Light trucks - 17.09
Heavy trucks - 32.25

Ah HA! Big trucks are in twice as many accidents! Yeah, but look at the miles they drive, it's not unusual for semi's to rack up 500,000 miles a year. And with that in mind, RV's are at the opposite end of that scale, like mine, 15 years old and not 40k miles yet. No RV specific data, but based on the per-miles data of the more-driven vehicles, I would think it's a safe bet that RV accidents per 100,000 units is substantially lower than the others.

So, since accidents per mile is statistically equal, and accidents per vehicle type seems to coincide with that, it (should?) mean that the 79x as likely to be hurt in a car accident vs large and 'other' trucks statistic is reasonably accurate.

Just wish I could find some actual "RV" data

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
For kicks I looked up some traffic stats. Trying to find "RV" or "motorhome" as a vehicle type is almost futile, "other/unknown" is probably where some RV stats are lumped, as well as "heavy trucks", which also includes semi-haulers obviously.

That said, here's what I found for year 2010:

vehicle occupants killed per vehicle type:

12,435 - passenger cars
9,752 - light trucks
529 - heavy trucks
543 - 'other' ...

vehicle occupants injured per vehicle type:

1,253,000 - cars
733,000 - light trucks
20,000 - heavy trucks
5,000 - 'other'

===========
Based soley on these numbers, combining cars & light trucks, and combining heavy trucks and 'others', this means you're 79x more likely to be injured, and 21x more likely to be killed, riding in cars vs. riding in big vehicles...

Next, accidents per 100 million miles. Unfortunately, no 'other' vehicle data on this, but here goes anyway--

Passenger cars - 1.18
Light trucks - 1.53
Heavy trucks - 1.22

By the mile, these numbers are statistically equal, and I would assume then that RV's would also be close...
===================

And, accidents per 100,000 registered vehicles:

Passenger cars - 13.09
Light trucks - 17.09
Heavy trucks - 32.25

Ah HA! Big trucks are in twice as many accidents! Yeah, but look at the miles they drive, it's not unusual for semi's to rack up 500,000 miles a year. And with that in mind, RV's are at the opposite end of that scale, like mine, 15 years old and not 40k miles yet. No RV specific data, but based on the per-miles data of the more-driven vehicles, I would think it's a safe bet that RV accidents per 100,000 units is substantially lower than the others.

So, since accidents per mile is statistically equal, and accidents per vehicle type seems to coincide with that, it (should?) mean that the 79x as likely to be hurt in a car accident vs large and 'other' trucks statistic is reasonably accurate.

Just wish I could find some actual "RV" data
....absent specific RV information, your either saying that most RV drivers are quite sensible and safe in their approach to how they handle their rigs though some accidents are inevitable, or that sense the data shows there are less people killed in RV accidents then they can take the gloves off and run as hard and as fast as they want because they are less likely to get in an accident or that RV's are built so well that that people seldom get killed in them......I am willing to bet, two of those are wrong.

WDK

Old 09-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Hmmmm. . . . . . Ever wonder about all of the stuff on the side of the road and how fast it is going?
Very few of the reviews I did involved two vehicles running together. Most had the vehicle leaving the roadway. Most were at highway or better speed. Most destructive was the vehicle approach collision...
Something worth pointing out is that just because a vehicle does not hit anything, does not mean they swerved to avoid a hazard or another car. One of the biggest things I've learned over the years, is unless you are a long ways off, you are much better off to just hit the hazard squarely, rather than swerve. Now having said that, something else I have learned, especially with the motorhome is that if you do swerve, before you correct, snap the wheel back to center and freeze motion for 1 full second. Then respond to the direction of the vehicle. This allows the suspension a chance to settle, so one does not over correct. Most people who wipe out, do so as a result of over correction.

I have swerved hard enough in my motorhome to slide the front wheels. I was traveling ~70 mph. I yanked the wheel hard enough to pull a muscle in my back. Even though it was a hard swerve, there was no remote hint of loss of control. Since it doesn't really lean, or sway, its actually very tame in those situations.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #130

Your number comes up its up not much you can do about it just hang on and try to be careful not stupid
Old 09-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #131

funny, a thread about how good a motorhome handled and that it was towing tuned in to whiners about how fast he was going and most weren't even in the same zip code...
Old 09-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
But what if our Zip codes collide?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
But what if our Zip codes collide?
Would that be Head on or a Glancing Blow?
And, would it make a difference at 55 MPH or 80 MPH? :laugh
Old 09-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #134

Old 09-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #135

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I knocked my eye ball out of my head......
You don't hear that line every day!!

I have been around dangerous stuff since I was a kid with martial arts, fencing, alpine skiing, bracket racing VWs, target shooting/hunting with rifles and archery, knife and ax throwing, various initiations. And then just a bunch of dumb stuff ya just gotta try.

In several of those activities listed above, eyeballs, (not mine), have been permanently damaged or misplaced while I was there to see it. Not a good thing!

However, it sounds like your's made it back into it's proper place!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #136

who's at fault here?

Old 09-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #137

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Some of these people remind me of huffypuff.
Now thats funny............don't care where your from
(or how fast you drive)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #138

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
101 by carpenteria...

bridjit.com/ check this out for your driveway.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
You don't hear that line every day!!

I have been around dangerous stuff since I was a kid with martial arts, fencing, alpine skiing, bracket racing VWs, target shooting/hunting with rifles and archery, knife and ax throwing, various initiations. And then just a bunch of dumb stuff ya just gotta try.

In several of those activities listed above, eyeballs, (not mine), have been permanently damaged or misplaced while I was there to see it. Not a good thing!

However, it sounds like your's made it back into it's proper place!
when ever some one says to me "dude, did you bump your head???""

yes as a matter of fact I did is my answer
Old 09-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #140

so what if I blow a tire while im towing... I still haave a bunch of tires left...right?