Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #141

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Something worth pointing out is that just because a vehicle does not hit anything, does not mean they swerved to avoid a hazard or another car. One of the biggest things I've learned over the years, is unless you are a long ways off, you are much better off to just hit the hazard squarely, rather than swerve. Now having said that, something else I have learned, especially with the motorhome is that if you do swerve, before you correct, snap the wheel back to center and freeze motion for 1 full second. Then respond to the direction of the vehicle. This allows the suspension a chance to settle, so one does not over correct. Most people who wipe out, do so as a result of over correction.

I have swerved hard enough in my motorhome to slide the front wheels. I was traveling ~70 mph. I yanked the wheel hard enough to pull a muscle in my back. Even though it was a hard swerve, there was no remote hint of loss of control. Since it doesn't really lean, or sway, its actually very tame in those situations.
Cannot testify to being able to slide front wheels at 70 mph. Bet the brown spot did not come out in the wash. Find it tough to believe that being able to slide front wheels at 70 is in any way a tame event.

I made no reference to the start of the accident. Not part of my job to determine how it started unless the highway geometrics could be improved. Most involved highway or better speed according to the police reports. Once the event starts it is difficult for most except the highly trained driver to not overcorrect. Most want to return to the road surface. Over correction starts the roll over but speed finishes it. Going off the highway at slow speed rarely results in a roll over.

IMO most drivers believe they are experts, just ask or listen to them. Not many have taken an advanced handling or racing course but rely on the fact they have not had a serious accident yet. Statistically the odds are in their favor. Yet the number of roll over and rear end accidents indicates not all who drive are experts.
Attached Files
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #142

Fast DP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post

It appears this is shot from the cab of a big rig. It also seems evident that the truck driver never attempted to brake or slow down when the car made its idiotic move. I'd say it's 50-50!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #143

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
It appears this is shot from the cab of a big rig. It also seems evident that the truck driver never attempted to brake or slow down when the car made its idiotic move. I'd say it's 50-50!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

I would say you are right on the first two accounts. I disagree with the 50 - 50.

Camera is at a different angle (on the dash on the passenger side) than the driver so in all likelyhood the car was not visible from the drivers position. It was obvious the driver gave way for the car to merge into the driving lane by moving in the passing lane.

From the audio it appears the truck driver was surprised by the contact with the car. One would not expect a car to try to cut in front given the small gap left between the truck in the passing lane to the truck in the driving lane.

There are a couple issues here.

Same as a motorhome trucks have a blindspot in front of them. It is much larger than any motorhome.

Second is what is the car driver thinking? Have to see a truck sitting right beside the drivers door. It appears the car driver saw the truck and moved partially back into the driving lane. Not sure but it appears that the two cars (this one and the one ahead) may have been travelling together and the second driver decided to try to push ahead to keep up with the first car. There is a lot of this that goes on in city driving. Bad judgement on the part of the car driver to try to squeeze in.

Truck drivers and trucking companies only get paid when they are making miles. Being involved in an accident not only damages the truck but takes it out of production for the time of repairs. During that time the driver and the trucking company do not get paid for work the truck is not doing. Not many drivers will deliberately be involved in an accident.

Fortunately it appears no one was hurt during the incident.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Some of these people remind me of huffypuff.

Do believe he crashed & disintegrated!!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Cannot testify to being able to slide front wheels at 70 mph. Bet the brown spot did not come out in the wash. Find it tough to believe that being able to slide front wheels at 70 is in any way a tame event.
A Revcon handles much different than any other motorhome. When this version was designed, Peter Bryant was VP of engineering. A google search of his name and CAN-AM will give you some perspective of who he was. So no brown spot, just fully awake, and realized I was not as alert as I needed to be to continue driving. Was doing a quick lane change behind a pickup. He was towing an unlit flatbed trailer, which could not be seen. I yanked the wheel back hard enough to pull a muscle in my back. When you are tired, you get lazy and don't make a full observation of what you see. I did pull over for the night.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #146

Forest River Owners Club
All this talk of high speeds, but no mention if towing.
My 2013 Ford Edge manual says not to tow over 65 MPH so that's the most I do (most of the time). I saw someone posting that they were towing and going 98? Bet the warranty wouldn't cover anything if the tranny broke

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #147

It's really hard tone cavalier about high speed in a motorhome after viewing:

http://youtu.be/HLY7MwLXXpo

Aftermath of a left front tire blowout & coach hit a sign support.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
All this talk of high speeds, but no mention if towing.
My 2013 Ford Edge manual says not to tow over 65 MPH so that's the most I do (most of the time). I saw someone posting that they were towing and going 98? Bet the warranty wouldn't cover anything if the tranny broke

Chris
.....X2! My HHR manuel says the same thing. Though I suppose if you don't care about your speed and the safety of those you put in jeopardy because you think you can handle 85 and 90, then why would you care about the transmission warranty of your toad....your just concerned about getting where your going maybe 20 minutes faster.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Why would one assume this has anything to do with high speed? Yes terrible accident, but I saw nothing in the video that showed it to be speed related.

BTY: A Jeep disengages in the transfer case, so the transmission is irrelevant.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #150

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
You will never convince the Joe Kool drive fast and impress everyone crowd that high speed is not the best Idea in Rving.
I just hope we are out of their way when it goes bad!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #151

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Then you had the wrong engine in your Chevelle!
Or do like I did! Take the engine and trans out of a '66 Chevell and put it in in your '67 Camaro. That was the hyd liftered 396 that had a red line of 7,000 and the "rock crusher" trans. 11.99 @ 132mph. Was my daily driver also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #152

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
Just for fun (and my own reference) I checked the tires on our rig, 22.5 Sumitomo's on the front, same size Samson's on the back. Both brands are "M" rated (81mph).

The flimsy-sidewalled Michelin's they replaced are "L" rated (75mph)
Which may mean nothing since the lawyers have as much or more say in the ratings as the engineers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #153

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Or do like I did! Take the engine and trans out of a '66 Chevell and put it in in your '67 Camaro. That was the hyd liftered 396 that had a red line of 7,000 and the "rock crusher" trans. 11.99 @ 132mph. Was my daily driver also.
I had a 64 dodge two door sedan that did just as good and also was my daily driver. Hot damn we had fun cars.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
You will never convince the Joe Kool drive fast and impress everyone crowd that high speed is not the best Idea in Rving.
I just hope we are out of their way when it goes bad!
For all we know, the guy was probably only doing 40 mph.