Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
ChasA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,857
I can do 0 to 60 in 7 flat. 7 minutes that is.
__________________

__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
2010 Freightliner XCS (mfd 9/'09)
'07 Saturn Vue V6
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I could never understand why some are so obsessed with pushing the limit in a motor home. With tires rated for a max speed of 75, why flirt with what could happen. I thought RVing was supposed to be a relaxing experience. I'm one of those 62 mph (on the interstate) guys that delights in not having to think about the need to pass anyone. At the end of the day, I'm still relaxed and sometimes hate to stop.

I'm with you 100%.


Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
__________________

__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Pigman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,937
From the OP's post it sounds like the Monoco was smooth, stable and the driver was comfortable at that speed. Was he closer to the "edge" whatever that means, I don't know. It was faster than I would drive it at a stready state, but both I and DW have had our Bus over 80 on hills, smooth roads and open spaces.

Pick your speed based on road conditions, how the rig performs and how comfortable you feel. The LEO's may object based on the rules, but it's ultimately your choice. The poster followed at that speed for an hour or so, so where's the problem???
__________________
Pigman
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #32
Member
 
stich's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 82
Another one in the 62 club. Yes with a 450hp rig, it will go much faster. I just like the sweet spot and less tension at 62. Sometimes I'm a rebel and will pump it up to 63 but I don't stay there long. No sense pushing the envelope you know.
And to be honest, I most often am towing and in CA they will go after you for doing too much over the limit (55).
__________________
Jack & Dianna Purdue
1998 Monaco Executive 40'
2007 HD Ultra Classic- summer toad
stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Triker56's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,945
Man!! My ears hurt from that video V10 engine noise.
Reminded me why I love my DP engine noise. OH!! Wait there is no engine noise in front with my DP other then a occasions wind noise from the door.

Retired and don't have any need to drive 75 + MPH. Rather have my quite 10 + MPG air ride at 55-60 MPH. Once in a while on long 6% upgrade I do let RPM's get up to around 2,100 that helps keep engine cool.

Previous MH had a up hill screaming 454 that got 6 MPG on it's best day.
__________________
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Man!! My ears hurt from that video V10 engine noise.
Reminded me why I love my DP engine noise. OH!! Wait there is no engine noise in front with my DP other then a occasions wind noise from the door.

Retired and don't have any need to drive 75 + MPH. Rather have my quite 10 + MPG air ride at 55-60 MPH. Once in a while on long 6% upgrade I do let RPM's get up to around 2,100 that helps keep engine cool.

Previous MH had a up hill screaming 454 that got 6 MPG on it's best day.
turn the volume down on yourspeakers.....I SAID TURN THE VOLUME DOWN ON YOUR SPEAKERS...LOL
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
tankcj's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
man,... wish I could have seen him....


__________________
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
70 mph in a Class A climbing a grade, passing vehicles, heading into a setting sun while taking a video?...Really?
you missed the part with no hands on the wheel

also 75 is the speed limit...lol
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
89sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 879
Not everyone who owns a RV is afraid to actually drive it, just because you old folks are still stuck with the 55 saves lives mentality doesn't mean everyone is. I'm glad to get there well ahead of the rest of you totally relaxed and enjoy the place I was going to longer. Not everyone is stressed driving the speed limit, in fact getting stuck behind you slow moving old folk is what stresses most people...
__________________
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #38
Registered User
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cherry Creek, BC Canada
Posts: 7,650
When I was RVing on the water my 30 footer would do 12 knots down hill with a tail wind. Hard items to come up with on the Great Lakes. At 3/4 throttle she was at about 10 knots and the only thing the extra 1/4 of throttle got me was fuel consumption like you couldn't believe. I learned to enjoy the view way back when.

I like the 55-60 club and do not denigrate those that pick other throttle positions as we all get where we are going eventually. My trips are planned in 300 to 350 mile jumps so getting there twenty minutes earlier is no biggie to me.

I think the OP was proving the point about what his newly added gizmo will do and he seemed pleased with the results. I went back and watched his eyes in the video and he wasn't ball that distracted filming himself but up here in Kanukistan the Leo's would have had him arrested for "using a hand held electronic devise while driving" in a heartbeat.
__________________
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,446
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
70 mph in a Class A climbing a grade, passing vehicles, heading into a setting sun while taking a video?...Really?

I want to see actual video of these grades. Where I do 42mph and enjoy the view, what speed do motorheads speed by at and not see the view?

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441123808.473914.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441123827.296279.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441123840.440687.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  49.4 KB
Hwy 12 North of Bryce canyon
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
When I was RVing on the water my 30 footer would do 12 knots down hill with a tail wind. Hard items to come up with on the Great Lakes. At 3/4 throttle she was at about 10 knots and the only thing the extra 1/4 of throttle got me was fuel consumption like you couldn't believe. I learned to enjoy the view way back when.

I like the 55-60 club and do not denigrate those that pick other throttle positions as we all get where we are going eventually. My trips are planned in 300 to 350 mile jumps so getting there twenty minutes earlier is no biggie to me.

I think the OP was proving the point about what his newly added gizmo will do and he seemed pleased with the results. I went back and watched his eyes in the video and he wasn't ball that distracted filming himself but up here in Kanukistan the Leo's would have had him arrested for "using a hand held electronic devise while driving" in a heartbeat.
I didn't see the op's video... did it get deleted???
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I want to see actual video of these grades. Where I do 42mph and enjoy the view, what speed do motorheads speed by at and not see the view?
Attachment 105439
Attachment 105440
Attachment 105441
Hwy 12 North of Bryce canyon
I keep her under 90 going through there...
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I want to see actual video of these grades. Where I do 42mph and enjoy the view, what speed do motorheads speed by at and not see the view?
Attachment 105439
Attachment 105440
Attachment 105441
Hwy 12 North of Bryce canyon
I think the view there might be a little different than the grade at baker calif.....
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield Wiper Will Not Work On Fast Speed? reubenray Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 3 07-12-2014 08:54 PM
HELP with fast idle Hondalee Country Coach Owners Forum 3 05-18-2014 05:38 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.