Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #71

Keeping the herd strong !

The herd is kept strong by eliminating the weak, sick and stupid ! As a retired fire fighter I have attended many accidents where people have overdriven either their or their vehicles capabilities. We called them road pizzas. The problem is they usually kill someone else.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Fast DP!

I do see A LOT of 80,000 lb tractor trailers driving well over 80mph. I almost got killed by one once.

I don't have a dog in this fight, Just Say'in...

Cheers!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I do see A LOT of 80,000 lb tractor trailers driving well over 80mph. I almost got killed by one once.

I don't have a dog in this fight, Just Say'in...

Cheers!
whats even worse is the greyhound bus drivers.. heading down hill 80 everywhere but in their lane
Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The amount of chest thumping and juvenile posturing in this thread sounds more like a bunch of teens in the 1950-60 than supposed competent drivers of vehicles weighing between 20-50,000 pounds. I hope to never meet a few of you on the road.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Well said Steve!! They probably blow their horn alot too!!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy07 View Post
The herd is kept strong by eliminating the weak, sick and stupid ! As a retired fire fighter I have attended many accidents where people have overdriven either their or their vehicles capabilities. We called them road pizzas. The problem is they usually kill someone else.
X2!!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Why not just keep the rig at the speed limit when load and conditions allow and turn your flashers on if the load and conditions won't allow?

I'm somewhat of an old gearhead (well, used to be) '63, 64 Impala's...'69 Chevelle, and now much later a Dodge truck twice the weight that would smoke my old cars.

I'm in less of a hurry lately.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
You are the reason for the accidents if you were driving 75 mph. Probably on the phone and fixing your hair at the same time or were you reading?
It's sad that someone like Denis has to take a serious subject like guys over driving perhaps not their capabilities but most certainly their RV's and make a sexist remark like this and no one else has called him on it.

WDK
Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
What??? There's a big difference between running a car at 75 and a Motorhome at nearly 80! There's probably a three fold difference in stopping distance, not to mention handling characteristics. It's really just a matter of physics. IMHO.
Not to mention the tires on an RV at least none that any of us want to buy are rated at that speed.

WDK
Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
at 65 mph you're moving at 95 feet per second.
at 80 mph your moving at 115 feet per second.

If you have to panic stop 26,000 pounds of motorhome, that 20' per second isn't going to make much difference. The trick is, stay alert to your surroundings and, extreme circumstances notwithstanding, you'll never have to panic stop.

I pulled our 7000# boat with the cruise set at 72mph for the better part of 200 miles last weekend, and I was the slowest vehicle on the road. That said, know this: If you're driving 55mph on a highway where everyone else is driving 80, you're the most likely vehicle to create an accident...
While I am not a big fan of the government in a lot of cases.....big rigs as far across this land as I have driven have had a speed limit at least 10 miles less than a car because his mistake is usually going to 20 fold that of a Volkswagen and are mostly regulated to the right lanes making it somewhat safer for the little guy. Everyone driving faster can easily use the left lanes and if everyone stuck to that, statistics show there are less accidents so it would seem your theory is more an off the cuff opinion rather than anything based in fact or study.

WDK
Old 09-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
It's sad that someone like Denis has to take a serious subject like guys over driving perhaps not their capabilities but most certainly their RV's and make a sexist remark like this and no one else has called him on it.

WDK
I'm not trying to stir trouble here but I didn't see the comments as sexist.

I'm a male and fix my 1/4" long hair when I get into my truck when it's 100 out & 140 in the truck.

I think the reading and talking on the phone is more of a problem.

People are over sensitive these days...IMHO.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #81

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
whats even worse is the greyhound bus drivers.. heading down hill 80 everywhere but in their lane
Your right, and there has been a rash of bus crashes up here in B.C lately!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
I'm not trying to stir trouble here but I didn't see the comments as sexist.

I'm a male and fix my 1/4" long hair when I get into my truck when it's 100 out & 140 in the truck.

I think the reading and talking on the phone is more of a problem.

People are over sensitive these days...IMHO.
While there are some exceptions, most people are going to read that as a woman fixing her hair.....and though we can all use some sensitivity training, to ignore that the statement is "mostly" directed at women is just looking the other way and making light of it.

WDK
Old 09-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #83

I would say he was seriously pushing the envelope. Stopping distance would suck. I wonder how the Jeep liked it as well.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Actually, it will make a world of difference. At 80 mph your rig has 46% more kinetic energy than it does at 65 mph (because KE is proportional to the square of velocity) and kinetic energy is what has to be dissipated in order for it to stop. Your brakes will have to work much harder to bring you to a stop and your stopping distance will be far greater.

I don't care what speed you drive at, but everyone has to deal with the same principles of physics.
I agree. It's comforting to know that when slowing from 80 to 65 you are safe..... ...you still may need to go from 65 to zero and have lost some time to decide how to get there. Logic.