Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
It's all relative Fast to some is slow to the faster !!!

After hours of uneventful driving the cruise control on our DP looses control !?!
Not sure what it is, went to ask my wife why it was bumping up 1 to 2 mph per mile and she's always asleep when it happens ??? Isn't that a coincidence !!!

IMHO, if you have a proven unit, and you know your unit, with 22.5 tires rated at 75 mph, which is 10 mph under the speed limit out in the boonies, so why not ??? if an event happens, it's going to happen and you deal with it.
Life's too short to expect something to go wrong every moment...
but then there's those that are surprised when something doesn't go wrong !
The problem with this statement is that yes, while you have to deal with pushing your coach to its limits and what ever might happen, the moment you hit someone else, they have to deal with it too.

WDk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:18 AM   #86

Our coach is happiest cruising along at 65mph. Gear wise it is capable of 100mph and I believe it has the power to get there, but I have no plans or desire to find out. We've done long stretches at 75mph when our schedule required, but I prefer slower speeds for comfort and fuel mileage. We can squeeze 6+mpg at 65mph. We lose a full 1mpg at 75mpg and going up to 80mph drops the mileage under 5mpg.

Son-Inlaw is always in a hurry and drives their coach at the legal limit plus. We just tell him to save us a spot wherever we happen to be going and usually arrive 20 minutes or so behind him.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #87

I'm the OP and have really enjoyed the reading the comments in this thread. I've driven about 50k business miles per year for the last 35 years and drive according to the conditions. Seems to be working. As to I-75, 70mph is too fast for the right lane resulting in constant lane changing and too slow for the middle and left lanes. The main reason I sped up was to stay with the DP to see if that was a consistent speed he was running or a short term thing. More curiosity than anything else. As to the poster concerned about my hair...I wish had enough left to be concerned about and I don't text and drive...at any speed. BTW, the wealth of knowledge in this forum is just amazing.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
may have been said - but it's all relative...
Asked how fast 75 seems to grandma Pearly
and how fast it seems to Dale Garrett Jr
know it's not the same thing, but u get the picture...

If you are comfortable with it 200 mph, then 75 is SLOW and there is no stress.
I actually like the 'quick' purr of a nice performing engine!
Love the Jeep, but I LOATH the 3.6L sewing machine - all noise and no push !

but food for thought, too slow and we get bored and the monotony might lull us to sleep
It's one thing to be comfortable in a specially turned race car all the way around and while the speed may not be the big factor for a professional race car driver, I am quite sure he knows the limitations and undersiarble factors a 37 foot motor home presents and more than like would be more cautious not to drive it comparibly like his race car ie 75 to 80 miles an hour in an RV is probably too much more of a risk than driving his race car on a closed track.

WDK
Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The amount of chest thumping and juvenile posturing in this thread sounds more like a bunch of teens in the 1950-60 than supposed competent drivers of vehicles weighing between 20-50,000 pounds. I hope to never meet a few of you on the road.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
X2!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #90

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
X2!!!
X3

I think if he realized he's basically sitting in a wooden portable building covered in fiberglass on top of a metal frame riding on tires that are being pushed beyond their limits, he would change his mind. Either way, I hope him and those like him are never near me or my family.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #91

rose smellrs keep to the right.. speed limit is 80!!!!~!

80 mph speed limits move east to Wyoming on I-90 | WATE 6 On Your Side
Old 09-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #92

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/sto...-mph/16628475/

I am an overly cautious driver, according to some of the backseat drivers in my vehicle. Some of them are related to me.
So it was a surprise to them and even to me when, after a Labor Day road trip to Salt Lake City to visit a daughter, I declared, "Montana should increase the speed limit to 80 miles per hour."
In July, Idaho changed the speed limits on some stretches of interstate highways to 80 miles an hour in areas defined as rural. Idaho lawmakers voted to increase the state speed limit during their 2014 session but authorized the Idaho Transportation Department to determine where it was appropriate to raise the speed limit to 80 miles per hour. That was done after safety studies and engineering reviews.
The speed limit on some stretches of interstate in Utah were increased to 80 miles per hour in July 2013.
Wyoming also has 80 mph limits on some rural interstate routes, along with Texas. The Lone Star State also allows speed limits of up to 85 miles per hour with caveats. There is just one segment of highway, 40 miles of State Highway 130 between Austin and San Antonio, with an 85 mph speed limit, and it's a toll road built by a private developer. A one-way toll for a passenger vehicle for the 40-mile length is $6.49.
Toll roads in Montana, where traffic "jams" are generally isolated to the Missoula and Bozeman areas on college home football game Saturdays, probably aren't on the agenda.
But with the majority of Interstates 15, 90 and 94 in this state in rural areas, an 80 mph speed limit along some routes would make those long trips a little less long. What could be the down side? I asked Montana Highway Patrol Col. Tom Butler to weigh in.
"As a general rule, the faster you go, the more opportunity there is for injury and property damage because it takes you longer to stop," he said. "The difference in near misses is of feet and fractions of seconds. Whether it is an accident caused by a distracted driver, a mechanical issues such as a blown tire or a deer or antelope on the highway, the faster you go, the less time you have to react."
A change in Montana's Interstate speed limits would need to be passed by the Montana Legislature and so far, no bills to do that have been proposed.
I lived beside a state highway in rural Glacier County in 1995 when Montana's daytime speed limit was switched to "reasonable and prudent" and watched daily examples of idiots who are neither. I was relieved when the "Montanabahn" closed in 1999 and the state's maximum speed limit was set at 75 mph.
If Montana's upper speed limit is raised, we all need to defer to data and safety experts about just where those higher speeds are appropriate.
Whether that is even addressed by the 2015 Legislature, I can't pass up an opportunity to pass along Col. Butler's most important advice.
"We always advocate slowing down for conditions and buckling up," he said.
— Jo Dee Black is the Tribune's business editor and a member of the editorial board.
129 CONNECT 4 TWEETLINKEDIN 9 COMMENTEMAILMORE
Old 09-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #93

half the US has 80 mph speed limit and more to come.

More 80 mph speed zones coming on rural Utah freeways | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/go...9bb2963f4.html
Old 09-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
I was in Utah a few months back where the limit was 80. I had no problem doing 65 through there and neither did anyone else in my weight class. I did have a few MH's pass me doing 80 and believe me, I let them. In fact, I slowed just a bit so they could get WAY passed me. I didn't want to be anywhere near them when they blew a tire or the distracted driver coughed. Worse yet where the 5th wheels. There aint much braking on a pick up pulling that much weight. And yes, I know the trailer has brakes too but would you like to do a panic stop in that rig?
stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #95

Best advice in this thread are on two points.

Don't exceed your tire ratings for weight or speed.

Panic stop your rig at different speeds and adjust your max speed based on your ability to come to a controlled stop.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I like this, especially when riding my bike or driving my car. Too bad my mambi pambi state will not join the club. My question is what about vehicles towing? In Calif. the limit is set to 55mph even though the max is 65 and 70 in some spots. Is there a limit on towing in the states where the speed limit is set to 80?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Well said Steve!! They probably blow their horn alot too!!
We do because we still can
Old 09-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #98

my best advise is to drive where YOU are comfortable... if you're skert go slower....if the speed limit is 80 stay out of the way if you can't hang....