Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
We do because we still can
and we can still hear it...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #100

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The amount of chest thumping and juvenile posturing in this thread sounds more like a bunch of teens in the 1950-60 than supposed competent drivers of vehicles weighing between 20-50,000 pounds. I hope to never meet a few of you on the road.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Agreed.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
You have to realize that the 80 mile and hour speed limit you speak of does not apply to all vehicles especially those with tires which at best are only rated for 75.....as stated earlier the max speed limit for most trucks or vehicles of a certain weight is normally 10 miles less than the max which is not much but I am sure all states to include Utah have to acknowledge the enormous amount of damage a 30,000 lb vehicle can cause.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
You have to realize that the 80 mile and hour speed limit you speak of does not apply to all vehicles especially those with tires which at best are only rated for 75.....as stated earlier the max speed limit for most trucks or vehicles of a certain weight is normally 10 miles less than the max which is not much but I am sure all states to include Utah have to acknowledge the enormous amount of damage a 30,000 lb vehicle can cause.

WDK
mine only weighs 13k...I like that i'm free to do what I want ... i'm old enough to know what I can and can't do with out the gubbermint...

I cruise at 65mph... and 60 mph when towing....but when i'm testing I go to a different limit...I ran up to 80-82 just to see what it would do...

I felt safe...I crashed on a motorcycle going faster...
Old 09-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Just for fun (and my own reference) I checked the tires on our rig, 22.5 Sumitomo's on the front, same size Samson's on the back. Both brands are "M" rated (81mph).

The flimsy-sidewalled Michelin's they replaced are "L" rated (75mph)
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Another comment from Kanukistan if I may. A while back much to the chagrin of a lot of plodders the province raised the speed limit on our main Island highway to 74.56454 MPH (120 K per hour) Strange things did happen the majority of people continued to drive 68.35 (110 K per hour) and the big surprise was accident frequency went down very considerably, as did the number of people ticketed for exceeding the speed limit.

In my daily driver I set cruise at 120 and have at 'er but in my old motorhome I still plod along at about 80 KPH (55 MPH) and hang ten in the right lane. I was taught years ago that the speed limit posted was the MAXIMUM speed you could legally drive on a given section of road and not a posted contest.

We all have to learn that what we are comfortable doing others are very uncomfortable with and and we ain't about to change either. Like someone else said, I'll get to the campground a half hour behind you.

120kph= 74.56454mph
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #105

Quote:
mine only weighs 13k...I like that i'm free to do what I want ... i'm old enough to know what I can and can't do with out the gubbermint...

I cruise at 65mph... and 60 mph when towing....but when i'm testing I go to a different limit...I ran up to 80-82 just to see what it would do...

....the issue you posed was the speed limit being 80 miles an hour in some states....it's not for all vehicles.....that you might find a long stretch of road in that you can only hurt yourself at best, all be it the range fire you might start if you go up in ball of flames, then go for it but we are mainly talking about heavier vehicles here, running at speeds they are not really equipped to go.....yes the engine will get to that speed but you are pushing the weakest links in your coach namely the tires.

As far as your age.....no matter how old you are, you go above the speed limit rated for your vehicle and get caught, the government will issue you a ticket and or jail time depending on wheather or not your speed was considered wreckless and he is not going to let you off because you were old enough to know better.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
Why not just keep the rig at the speed limit when load and conditions allow and turn your flashers on if the load and conditions won't allow?

I'm somewhat of an old gearhead (well, used to be) '63, 64 Impala's...'69 Chevelle, and now much later a Dodge truck twice the weight that would smoke my old cars.

I'm in less of a hurry lately.

Then you had the wrong engine in your Chevelle!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Then you had the wrong engine in your Chevelle!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #108

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
....Is there a limit on towing in the states where the speed limit is set to 80?
No. And, you would probably be surprised to find that it is directly due to the heavy political lobby efforts by the Freight Carrier groups, consortiums, and corporations that the speed limit has been risen to 80mph, and will be expanded to more states ASAP.

It is in the best interest of Freight Carriers to get their as fast as possible! Late model cars are designed to cruise safely at even higher speeds than 80mph.

Those same Freight Carrier groups are trying to get the 55mph "when towing" limit in California eliminated.

As others have mentioned, it's not the speed that causes problems, it's the stopping or running into slow moving objects that is the problem.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
No. And, you would probably be surprised to find that it is directly due to the heavy political lobby efforts by the Freight Carrier groups, consortiums, and corporations that the speed limit has been risen to 80mph, and will be expanded to more states ASAP.

It is in the best interest of Freight Carriers to get their as fast as possible! Late model cars are designed to cruise safely at even higher speeds than 80mph.

Those same Freight Carrier groups are trying to get the 55mph "when towing" limit in California eliminated.

As others have mentioned, it's not the speed that causes problems, it's the stopping or running into slow moving objects that is the problem.
Makes me laugh when I look back and remember when we were all forced to drive at 55 because of the supposed lack of gas. The BS that is shoved down our throats over the years is sickening. And I got a speeding ticket on the freeway once for going 63mph.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #110

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The amount of chest thumping and juvenile posturing in this thread sounds more like a bunch of teens in the 1950-60 than supposed competent drivers of vehicles weighing between 20-50,000 pounds. I hope to never meet a few of you on the road.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

With you there, Steve.

If these folks want to compare testosterone levels that's fine, but elsewhere please. I spent a good part of my working life doing 400+ kt in a rig 200 ft wide and 200 ft long. I feel no need to get into any kind of "mine's bigger than yours" contest.

Sense and judgment are foreign concepts to some people. Hell, about 6 months or a year ago there was some guy on some forum going on about how he even launched his boat off a trailer using his forty ft MH as the tow vehicle. Then he responded to critics by posting a homemade video of himself driving this boat at 60 or 70 kt or some such, while recording the smartphone video with one hand. Got some laughs at that one. ;-)
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
With you there, Steve.

If these folks want to compare testosterone levels that's fine, but elsewhere please. I spent a good part of my working life doing 400+ kt in a rig 200 ft wide and 200 ft long. I feel no need to get into any kind of "mine's bigger than yours" contest.

Sense and judgment are foreign concepts to some people. Hell, about 6 months or a year ago there was some guy on some forum going on about how he even launched his boat off a trailer using his forty ft MH as the tow vehicle. Then he responded to critics by posting a homemade video of himself driving this boat at 60 or 70 kt or some such, while recording the smartphone video with one hand. Got some laughs at that one. ;-)
you'll really like these then... I run with sizzors...

sking at 60 yrs old...hadden't ski but one time in 20 yrs or so

Old 09-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #112

Quote:

Really, you crashed a motorcycle going faster??? Faster than what? 60--80?? I crashed one of mine going about 15 and you know what--- it hurt. No broken bones but I was pretty banged up. I realized while flying through the air that the " gubbermint" was right to require me to wear a helmet.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote