Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #1

Fast master motorcycle lift

Got my first MH and am trying to figure out how to take my motorcycle with my wife's explorer with us. Weighed the MH and rear axle is at 15480 with a stated limit of 17500 leaving about 2000. The motorcycle weights under 800. The total weight of MH is 23600 with a limit of 30000. Explorer weights 4600 lbs and the class III hitch has a 500 lb tongue weight and 5000 straight tow and 7500 4 down toad. We have the explorer set up for 4 down. I am concerned that the lift and cycle will pull the weight down too much on the rear axle. The folks at fast master say I should be fine. I am concerned since I can't set it up and test. Anyone with a similar set up that can give me some experience notes?

Thanks
Vrob53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Take the weight of the motorcycle and lift and multiply them by the distance from the front axle to the center of the weight of the lift and motorcycle, probably the center of the motorcycle. You may have to estimate where the motorcycle will be when in the up position but you should be close.

Divide that number by the wheelbase. The number is the additional weight the motorcycle and lift will place on the rear axle.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
What Gordon is describing, is how hanging a heavy weight on the rear of the coach, actually shifts the pivot point of the coach. In addition to the weight of the hitch and the bike, some of the weight carried by the front axle will shift to the rear axle.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:36 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
http://www.hitchcity.com/files/Towin...alculation.pdf

Try this site.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Take the at of the motorcycle and lift and multiply them by the distance from the front axle to the center of the weight of the lift and motorcycle, probably the center of the motorcycle. You may have to estimate where the motorcycle will be when in the up position but you should be close.

Divide that number by the wheelbase. The number is the additional weight the motorcycle and lift will place on the rear axle.

Thanks I will see what that gets me
Old 02-23-2017, 05:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArch View Post

Thanks
Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #7

Well that settles that. Too much weight on the rear axle. Unless I can remove some weight off that rear axle.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #8

I guess I will be looking for a truck to tow behind the MH that I can tow 4 down and not exceed 7000 lbs total
Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #9

My 15 Ford F-150 super cab 4WD comes in around 4700+#. I tow the jeep though
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the explorer can be dolly towed they make Dolly's with a platform for motorcycles or other toys.

http://www.overbiltlifts.com/car-dolly/

www.tandem-tow.com
Knoxie89 is offline   Reply With Quote