Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

Feedback needed 2003 Newmar

Looking at a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star, Cat 330, 3 slide-out model. This is our first RV purchase and is for traveling the US in our early retirement years. Any comments, suggestions, concerns etc. would be most appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Newmar makes a great product. All will depend on how well the previous owners took care of the 2003. Maintenance records, oil analysis and tire date are some of the important things to check.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Pepper, you mentioned oil analysis. Would this be something that I would do by asking for a used oil sample from the seller, or something the seller should already have from service history?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Our motorhome is a gas model so I'm not the most knowledgeable concerning diesels. But I keep reading on this site to always get a oil analysis prior to a diesel purchase. Do a search on this site for oil analysis and you will find a number of posts. Yes you would draw your own sample from the engine to insure it's authentic. Good luck!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

We have a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star, we've owned it for 6 years. We love this coach, we have full timed in it from coast to coast.
It will depend on the prior owners and how well they maintained it. Ask for records and receipts and if possible get an independent inspection. Newmar products are excellent and there are plenty of good used ones on the market, don't be afraid to travel to find the right one. We bought ours off the internet and it was 1500 miles away but was exactly as advertised.
Good luck!
Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #6

I have a 2004 Newman Northern Star that I purchased 3 years ago. I agree with what everyone has said, but I would add to look for the paint checking issue on the sidewalls. Mine had some but it got worse even though was stored it under cover. In the dark spots, it got so bad the clear coat was popped off in spots. We had the sidewalls replaced and had it repainted at Newmar this year. An expensive mistake. If you do not see the checking, a Newmar is a GREAT coach. By the way, Newmar is not the only manufacturer with this issue. Lots of coaches made between 2000 and 2008 have these defective sidewalls.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It not from the sun or weather. It's caused by the laminate glues in the sidewalls out gassing.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafguy View Post
Pepper, you mentioned oil analysis. Would this be something that I would do by asking for a used oil sample from the seller, or something the seller should already have from service history?
Some folks do fluid analysis but I suspect most don't. I would seriously consider making a purchase agreement contingent on sampling results. As a minimum I would have the engine oil, engine coolant and transmission fluid. I would also consider generator oil and coolant too.

There are a few companies that do this. I use JG Lubrication Services and get my results usually within 2 days of when they get the samples. You can check out the web site for costs including the pump(s) you will need to draw samples.

IF YOU CAN GET IT...For the most accurate results you will want information on total miles/hours since the fluid was changed. Along with this you will also want miles/hours of any fluid added or filter changes since the last change. Finally any brand information on funds used.

Don't worry too much if you can't get all that extra data but it just helps the sample results more accurate. It does this because the services data base the results of most fluids out of the can and compare it to used fluids. Still, if there are serious problems it will be very evident no mater if you have all that extra info or not.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two DSDP's a 2000 and 2002. Kind of wish we'd have kept the '02 as it was the most trouble free RV I've ever owned. Spent less on upgrades/upkeep on it in 13 years than we have on the Magna in one year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Check the exterior for delamination. Also check the roof condition ie (cracks,damage,seals).check the age of the tires..if they are close to 8 years they'll need replacing. The deisel engine should be fairly bulletproof for a few hundred thousand miles...the fuel filters and brake dryer filter should be done .and serpentine belt should be checked for wear.Also make sure the hydraulic system is free from leaks around the jacks...if its a rear radiator make sure its not plugged full of crap. It wouldnt hurt to find out if the Allison trans has had the filters changed as well.

Tags
newmar