Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Feedback on 2014 Thor Tuscan XTE

Hi, I am new to the forum. I owned a 1995 Holiday Rambler Endeavor for 3 years, bought it new and haven't owned a motor home since. I live in Marlborough, MA and my fiancé and I are very seriously considering a new Tuscan MQ configuration. These are running about $180K and we like most everything about it. I have several questions and would appreciate some newbie help

- What other MH would you consider for the price? We want a center LR configuration and we don't want a tag axle.

- Does anyone have experience with this model in terms of reliability, factory and dealer responsiveness to repairs and problems?

- What would the fuel milage be, it has the 360 hp 800 ft/lb cummins engine, Gross Vehicle weight is 32,400 towing a jeep cherokee, any idea?

- What "options" should I turn down or consider purchasing when I close on the coach? Does it pay to buy the 5 year extended warranty? gel coat? Tire warranty? Anything I should def get or absolutely stay away from?

- Are there any tips you can offer to get stuff thrown in with the purchase? i.e. is asking for full fuel tanks out of the question?

I would love your feedback and if you are nearby please let me know, we are looking for couples to hang out with in campgrounds nearby. We are probably going to make our "maiden voyage" to Normandy Farms which is a really beautiful camp ground I remember from my old days of RV'in.

Thanks and glad to be here!
Musikboy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
They make a decent product, Cummins power on a Freightliner Chassis.
Most of the "things" in the coach are the same brands as all others.
It is all about the floor plan, and how you like the layout. I assume
you are looking at the 34' or 36' model. The ISB will give you decent
power in this size and good fuel economy. IMHO, the ISB is not enough
for the 40' versions, especially when towing. You will have many little
problems with any new coach, these things go down an assembly line,
and sometimes the quality control process is weak and gets pushed
on down the line to the dealer and consumer. For us, we wanted the
Splendide combo washer/dryer.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #3

If your going to shell out 180k they better fill the gas tank. Imo
Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your feedback. In 1995 we bought a new Holiday Rambler Endeavor diesel pusher 34' (no slide outs and we were very comfy by the way) and had a ton of little problems, requiring multiple trips back to the dealer. But they were fixed and we enjoyed that motorhome and drove it all over the US pulling a Jeep Gr Cherokee, no problem. Now that daughter is in college, time for mom and dad to go wander.

We love the center living room floor plan, the Fleetwood Discovery 40X was the closest to this we found but the Thor product seems to be a better value. It's the 36' version we are looking at, the 36MQ layout. Wife is in love with the product but we've not yet made the final decision to pull the trigger. We are still "looking" now that we know much more about what we want.

This Tuscan has a washer/dryer stack, seems like it takes up a lot of space and weight for something so seldom used. We are not full timers, not even close, we are weekend warriors and with a little luck one long trip next winter.

A little "gun shy" about a used MH from a private party, so gravitating toward a dealer and new, at least for now. I saw some used MH's in the southwest that were pristine but couldn't judge mechanically, glad we didn't pull that trigger since the layout was wrong for us.

Thanks for the comments as well on the cummins and freightliner combo, so far I've read and heard good things about that chassis/motor combo.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Re:used

There is so little that should go wrong mechanically on a few year old coach. Remember these diesel/Allison combos are made to run for hundreds of thousands of miles. If you found a coach with under 50k miles on the drivetrain consider the previous owner having done you a favor by breaking it in. You could get a killer USED coach from a high end maker for that money IMHO.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
MUSKIBOY: Hi and WELCOME to iRV2.com ! Since you are new here, You may not know there is a THOR forum here: Thor Industries Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums and I think you'll find lots of threads of interest.

FYI, there is a "y" on the end of "Tuscan"
Old 03-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #7

The Tuscany & the XTE are on closeout pricing at some dealers as the 2015's can be ordered.
The Stack Washer & Dryer are standard if the coach was mfg.after 11/2013
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
The washer/dryer keeps you out of the laundromats, and when
you arrive home after your long weekend trips, you will not have
to do a load or two of wash ! And, you got free electric and water.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
We have some friends that have a 2013 Tuscany 42' and have had good luck with it. They have had some minor things go wrong and each time Thor has said to get them fixed and send them the bill. On a couple ocassions Thor helped them find a service guy, but mostly they were allowed to use who they wanted for the repairs. Again, most of this is very minor. The biggest issue they have had is replacing the slide toppers (which was odd on a brand new coach) but they sagged real bad. beyond the few little things they have been real happy. They run the 450HP and they are getting crazy good milage and I have run with them and watched them fill their tank and calculate.
Cabinets and such are not top of the line, but then again neither is the price. Not cheap mind you, just not the top. If the floor plan suites you, then get it if you want it. They are good coaches.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
The washer/dryer keeps you out of the laundromats, and when you arrive home after your long weekend trips, you will not have to do a load or two of wash ! And, you got free electric and water.
Couldn't agree more with you. We use ours and love it!!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Re:used

There is so little that should go wrong mechanically on a few year old coach. Remember these diesel/Allison combos are made to run for hundreds of thousands of miles. If you found a coach with under 50k miles on the drivetrain consider the previous owner having done you a favor by breaking it in. You could get a killer USED coach from a high end maker for that money IMHO.

Chris
I sooo agree. We arrived at CampingWorld in Berkeley, MA and they reneged on the deal,said they "made a mistake" and quoted us the wrong model. So we laughed when they asked for $15,000 more and left. I think the fever has passed, we are back to shopping. We are looking for a super clean diesel pusher with a center living room. We liked the king size bed a lot too.

I've seen some nice Fleetwood Discovery 40x's out there. One was beat up pretty bad even though it only had 11,000 miles on it, looks like it was lived in for years.

We missed out on a very clean version of that same coach by a few hours.

We still love the Thor product and if we can find a Tuscany version 2012 or later for around our price, we will investigate.

Next challenge will be where it gets parked on our property. The neighbors were not too thrilled when I mentioned that they would be staring at a 40ft motorhome most of the year

Tags
thor