Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Feels like Turbulence!! Bad Shaking

When Im driving under 45 mph my RV shakes very bad,when it gets to about 45 it smooths out. I have fairly new tires all around and it doesnt pull like a front end alinment is needed, does the setting of the timing have anything to do with this? When I took it to get smog the man said that the timing was set very high but because it runs smooth at idle he didnt adjust it. It shake very bad at 15-to 45-mph I have to floor the gas to get up to 45 mph before it stops!! HELP!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

check out 1. threw a wheel weight 2. If hit a curb hard, may have separated belt. sure sounds like tire problem. I dont think timing would do thaat. Didnt say if it did that all the time before. Take to tire shop where they can spin on coach. At very least, eliminate that possibility.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When it shakes do you feel it more in the steering wheel or in the seat? Is it an up and down shake or a side to side shake? Wheel alignment does not cause a tire shake but a bad tie rod end joint sure will but you will feel that in the steering wheel. In a vintage MH you need to also check the u-joints on the driveshaft that can cause a real bad shake at a slow speed and you will feel that more in the seat. If I tire was out of balance it would get worse as you approach 45 mph and not smooth out. Have you checked the tire pressures in all of your drive axle tires. If you had a inner flat tire that could also cause it. It is a process of elimination by doing it here on the internet. Chock the wheels and with the engine off get under it and grab that drivesahft and shake each end hard and see if you get any movement. Check those inner back tire pressures. If you can't figure out what is wrong then I would not drive it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #4

I had a similar experience recently. A little research led me to believe that what I was experiencing was a transmission symptom called torque converter chatter, where a torque converter locks up causing vibration. The solution: I bought a tube of Dr.Trann Instant Shudder Fixx for about $7 and the problem was solved in five minutes. I hope your solution was as simple as mine was.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Bad shake

The shake seems to be in the steering wheel all the tires are properly inflated I noticed the passenger side front tire rod looks dry. Is there a grease ball inside the tire rod? There is also air valves under the springs both front wheels are these for the leveling jacks? Should I put air in them?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

I would jack up the front end so tires are clear of ground and start trying to shake all parts of steering assembly to include front wheels. Suspect you have worn parts
Old 05-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspowers View Post
When Im driving under 45 mph my RV shakes very bad,when it gets to about 45 it smooths out.
Could we please have the year, make and model of this motorhome?

Thanks.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A bent wheel especially if its on the steering wheels will have these symptoms also.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Since we now know it is felt in the steering wheel and this in a 1982 Holiday Rambler I would be real suspect of that tie rod end that you say is dry.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have the shakes up to 45 mph and then it smooths out by 50. Mine is the rear wheels and/or tires out of round. I found it by having the wife drive the RV while I was a a motorcycle. I thought it was the front end tires out of balance. No help after balancing. Posts here say it could be bad rims or not mounted exactly in center of the hub. So what have I done to fix this and a noisy differential? "The older I get the less I worry about STUFF".
Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #11

Check the "U" joints. When you start going down the road listen for squeeking ( windows open ) IT sure sounds like classic U joint problem.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Turbulence Stopped!! U JOINTS REPLACED

Thank you for the troubleshooting. I was headed west on 10 fwy and the drive shaft dropped. Lucky for me only had to replace U Joints and Gear Vender now I will replace U Joints in front drive shaft because I noticed a little play in it. Its a 1982 Holiday Rambler 454 engine there lots of work ahead and I am enjoying the experience. Thanks for your experience.