Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Fiber glass roof coatings

Hello, has anyone used Dicor fiberglass roof coating, wanting to cover small spider cracks, or can someone suggest a better product from experence. thanks Roger

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I'm about to have it applied on my roof. You should note that Dicor recommends a special cleaning solution be used before applying the coating.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

i ordered and will apply it shortly.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #4

roof coating

Thanks for replys, seems no one has used this product yet. Let me know how it turns out. thanks Roger
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

i have searched on web extensively but no clear winners. it seems like this is the best shot.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soybeans View Post
Hello, has anyone used Dicor fiberglass roof coating, wanting to cover small spider cracks, or can someone suggest a better product from experence. thanks Roger
Hello, I owned a boat yard in FL for twenty years. The spider cracks your are discussing are nothing more than "gel coat crazing". Unless the cracks protrude into the fibers and are large the problem is only cosmetic, not structural! I have no experience with the Dicor product. The special cleaning fluid is most likely Acetone. Acetone will remove the oxidation and prepare the surface for re coating. It should be handled with caution as the product will damage vinyl or fabric surfaces. In our experience, when handling a large crazing area we sanded the surface, washed with soap and water, Dawn, cleaned with acetone then sprayed the gel thinned at least ten to fifteen percent using a wax additive the speeds drying time. Most likely your roof like mine has also been sprayed with a urethane paint then clear coated. I would ask many questions of Dicor as to prep, longetivity of product, and any additional sealing product needs. Best of luck.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What about vinyl toppers? Is there a product that can be applied to cover small cracks, holes that let in light, etc? The toppers came like this when I purchased it 2 months ago. I don't know if they are hail hits or just weather beaten. No rips, just little holes. I'm just curious if something can be applied to coat/cover the entire topper. Thanks for any help.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A new alternative is being discussed here, Rhino Linings ECO coat roof restoration system.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Hello, I owned a boat yard in FL for twenty years. The spider cracks your are discussing are nothing more than "gel coat crazing". Unless the cracks protrude into the fibers and are large the problem is only cosmetic, not structural! I have no experience with the Dicor product. The special cleaning fluid is most likely Acetone. Acetone will remove the oxidation and prepare the surface for re coating. It should be handled with caution as the product will damage vinyl or fabric surfaces. In our experience, when handling a large crazing area we sanded the surface, washed with soap and water, Dawn, cleaned with acetone then sprayed the gel thinned at least ten to fifteen percent using a wax additive the speeds drying time. Most likely your roof like mine has also been sprayed with a urethane paint then clear coated. I would ask many questions of Dicor as to prep, longetivity of product, and any additional sealing product needs. Best of luck.
I understand that the spider cracks are not structural, but I am applying the Dicor coating to reduce the chalking of the roof. Although my coach is clear-coated on the sides and caps the roof is not. Waxing the roof does reduce the chalking somewhat but the effect does not last for more than a couple of months. The Dicor coating should reduce or eliminate the problem by providing a high gloss finish which should also help protect the gelcoat from additional sun damage.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dock, I see your roof is not completely urathaned coated? Evidently the fiberglass surface is oxidizing, chalking, and streaking down your coach sides? My coach is also urathaned caps and sides but the roof top is white. Somewhere I read that this white coating is designed to have uv properties and of course white color reflects sun light thus helping cool the coach. Maybe this coating is the Dicor product. I will check this out and get back.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
We used it on our coach and my buddy used it also ,he has a Tradewinds and ours is a Alfa ,did a good job seals good and looks nice to .I agree with above post we just washed with dish washing fluid and rinsed off .Decor product is a good product the caulking is to we used it also to touch up roof cap area just pealed off old and put new on has factory look ,if you take your time. Hope that helps the question with product we like it anyways.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If I had a chauking fiberglass roof, I would coat it with ZEP HTFF. I did my whole coach with this stuff (as many on here have done) which totally eliminated chaulking and made it shine like brand new. About $15 at HD for a gal, put 5 coats on my rig and 1/2 gal left. It's acryilic and just like clear coating.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
If I had a chauking fiberglass roof, I would coat it with ZEP HTFF. I did my whole coach with this stuff (as many on here have done) which totally eliminated chaulking and made it shine like brand new. About $15 at HD for a gal, put 5 coats on my rig and 1/2 gal left. It's acryilic and just like clear coating.
Have heard about that stuff was wondering about it also.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
Interesting comments, I have the same issue with the roof on my MH, dull and white streaks down the side. Good input. I will be watching this topic as I need to put some type of protective coat on my rigs roof.
Thanks,

Martin

Tags
roof