Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fiberglass corner mouldings cracking

Hi Everyone,

The fiberglass corner mouldings (top to bottom) on the rear corners of my 2003 Coachmen Mirada MH are cracking. Any information on how to repair the cracks is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Dan 1 to irv2.
Are these in the corner wrap around corner of coach from sidewall to back wall of coach?
I had that type of wrap that both pieces had to be replace ordered mouldings from MFG and replaced.
They were stress cracks, you may be able to find some boat shop that could repair but maybe more expensive than ordering from MFG.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi 007,

Yes, these are the corner wrap from sidewalls to the back wall. Thanks for the welcome and the info. I just purchased my 1st MH and I'm finding plenty of information and feedback on irv2 to help get me started.

Regards,
Dan
Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
KIX

If you're a DIY type AND the part is f/g you could fill the cracks with resin thickened with micro-balloons, then sand and paint. Mis your batch hot so it doesn't run down the cracks before catalyzing.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Kix,

I'll keep that in mind if I can find a resin kit. I'll check out some boating stores and see if I can find something along that line.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
KIX

If yo uhave a West Marine in your area they will have what you need. You also may want to use a body filler like the old standby....Bondo. There are products similar but better on the market today
Old 04-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan 1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

The fiberglass corner mouldings (top to bottom) on the rear corners of my 2003 Coachmen Mirada MH are cracking. Any information on how to repair the cracks is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Are they fiberglass, or could they be plastic? If plastic, repair is almost always a pretty futile attempt. Cracks will reappear pretty quickly. Fiberglass will have tiny individual strands showing at the cracks, and generally won't crack completely through. Plastic will look like, well, broken plastic. A cleaner break?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Most auto parts stores handle fiberglass repair kits. The marine stores (including Bass Pro)has a few color mixtures to blend mix in the FG for color match.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
KIX

If they are plastic like used in some car body parts then go to an auto body repair supplier for some of their two part filler. Follow the directions explicitly.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #10

If they're plastic, they're going to crack again unless something is done to allow them to expand and contract freely. Like vinyl siding on a house, plastic needs room to expand and contract with temp changes. When screwed directly to steel or wood, that can't happen. The early Champion MH's found this out the hard way, had huge issues. They even had an aftermarket company come out with custom alum. parts. Fleetwood Class C's had the big plastic corner wraps that went from just in back of the cab door to the sidewalls - and they had big issues until they figured out how to fasten them so they could move. FWIW