Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Fiberglass Gelcoat whitening

Is there a product that will whiten/polish fiberglass Gelcoat? Thanks
GuitarLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, search this site for "Red Max Pro" There are 100's of pages of information about this product.

I have used it twice now. Spring 2011 and summer 2012. Works great. You have to clean your MH first. then just wipe on a few coats. Lasts over a year.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Go to a marine store. Fiberglass boats what sit on the water for years on end are really tough to get back to looking good, a marine store can help.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4
Yes, search this site for "Red Max Pro" There are 100's of pages of information about this product.

I have used it twice now. Spring 2011 and summer 2012. Works great. You have to clean your MH first. then just wipe on a few coats. Lasts over a year.
Will red max pro stain resistant floor sealer work, it says step 2, thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLefty View Post
Is there a product that will whiten/polish fiberglass Gelcoat? Thanks
If your gelcoat is dull and chalky, using the red max pro or zep after proper prep will make it shine. It will not be as white as the original as the floor finish has a slight color to it due to the solids in the floor finish, but is hardly detectable.

If your gelcoat is dull, chalky, and stained, try JOMAX house cleaner mixed with bleach and water as directed on the jomax bottle. I use this to remove difficult leaf stains on my old white fiberglass boat, and it works great.
Fred
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #6

Look for PoliGlow.. its developed specifically for this purpose. It has a specifically developed cleaner in the kit to clean and whiten the gelcoat, as well as applicators and scrubbing pads. It is also formulated with the UV stabilizers that will keep it from yellowing, unlike the floor polish/sealer. I've used PoliGlow on my coach, its still bright white and shiny since applying last spring.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Red Max Pro #3 is being discontinued as a brand name. Zep High Traffic Floor Finish is it's new name. RMP #2 is not the same. Boaters have been using RMP#3 for years. Yes, there are specific Marine products like PoliGlow that will also work, but they are MUCH more expensive. As far as I've seen, (and I've googled it often) there have been no reports of yellowing with RMP#3 on RVs or boats. People that applied it up to 3 years ago still report no chalking, high shine, no color change. So, spend $100 or more for PoliGlow or under $20 for Zep. (Lowes) Check other RMP#3 threads for prep and application tips.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

google aqua buff
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Red Max Pro #3 is being discontinued as a brand name. Zep High Traffic Floor Finish is it's new name. RMP #2 is not the same. Boaters have been using RMP#3 for years. Yes, there are specific Marine products like PoliGlow that will also work, but they are MUCH more expensive. As far as I've seen, (and I've googled it often) there have been no reports of yellowing with RMP#3 on RVs or boats. People that applied it up to 3 years ago still report no chalking, high shine, no color change. So, spend $100 or more for PoliGlow or under $20 for Zep. (Lowes) Check other RMP#3 threads for prep and application tips.
My PoliGlow kit, containing a quart of coating,(I used half a quart for 4 coats on the 33 footer ) a quart of cleaner ( that you cut 3:1) large and small applicators and a scotch brite scrubber.... was $68 including shipping. There are some things I am just not willing to cheap out on..
Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
My PoliGlow kit, containing a quart of coating,(I used half a quart for 4 coats on the 33 footer ) a quart of cleaner ( that you cut 3:1) large and small applicators and a scotch brite scrubber.... was $68 including shipping. There are some things I am just not willing to cheap out on..

Did the coach come out evenly shining and how long did entire process take the first time?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #11

I was actually looking for info on whitening, the coach gel coat isn't in disrepair. Just seems more of an off white color, and we would like to whiten, thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
Did the coach come out evenly shining and how long did entire process take the first time?
I'm interested on hearing about this too... $20 or $30 savings is not much to me right now compared to the labor involved...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLefty View Post
I was actually looking for info on whitening, the coach gel coat isn't in disrepair. Just seems more of an off white color, and we would like to whiten, thanks
In my experience with f/g boats you cannot make a gel coat color lighter than the original color......unless you paint it.
So.....if your gel coat has discolored and you want to restore it to the original color then buffing with an abrasive rubbing compound should restore the gel coat to original color and shine. I have had success with buffing using Aqua Buff 2000 compound......mix in about 30% Starbrite Mariine Polish with Teflon or similar additive to prevent burning and much less "grab" of the buffing pad. This process is hard work but will restore the original color.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
Hi... it did come out with an even shine... just as if I had sprayed the clearcoat on. It really is amazing stuff. Guitar Lefty....the cleaner that comes with this will turn a white coach white again. If it's off white, it will be a brighter off white. Anytime you buff, its like washing your face..you take the top layer off, but the pores are still full of gunk. You need to use a cleaner that will remove the gunk from the pored to brighten the color. This is the biggest reason to spend a bit extra and get PoliGlow instead of half-@ssing it with bathroom cleaners and floor sealer. We have some stormy weather moving in tonight and tomorrow until late afternoon, so I will try and get some good pics so you can see the results. As far as the time involved... I have about 25-28 hrs in it... HOWEVER...that was washing the roof, trimming some curling graphics, cleaning the entire coach and putting 4 coats of PoliGlow on, doing the edges of the compartment doors,etc. That may sound like alot of time, but I'm a meticulous peckerwood...and it has cut my regular wash time in half.. nothing sticks to it, black streaks come off with a soapy brush, it dries without water spots, etc. All I do is microfiber the windows and I'm ready to roll.