Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #15

Broadsword you will not be disappointed, you will be frustrated with the amount if time you sit back and just look at it! Glad we all could lend a hand and hopefully save you a bushel of money😄

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #16

Bought the Poliglow Kit

I researched it and went with the Poliglow starter kit from MyBoatStore.com - Proven boat care, finishing, waxing, and maintenance products.
With tax & shipping it was $67.95. It was the cheapest I found. I haven't found a single bad review on the product either. I am looking forward to starting the project! I will post before and after pictures for sure.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #17

please keep us up to date, I have been buffing mine for years and have to do it 2-3 times a year. watched the youtube videos and this looks a whole lot easier to do and says it lasts a year! my wife mop and glowed our kitchen the other day and I was gonna do a little spot with that until I saw this post. I'm done buffing, motorhomes are just too large...
Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
please keep us up to date, I have been buffing mine for years and have to do it 2-3 times a year. watched the youtube videos and this looks a whole lot easier to do and says it lasts a year! my wife mop and glowed our kitchen the other day and I was gonna do a little spot with that until I saw this post. I'm done buffing, motorhomes are just too large...
I will for sure. As soon as I read " mop and glow" I immediately thought of Marine Corps boot camp. Before inspection we would wipe it on the toes of our Pantant leather shoes and they would shine shine.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStarDEF View Post
Howdy Broadsword.

If you are up for repainting, I'd like to recommend the materials we use on our 1952 Chris Craft 47' boat. The hull is pained white, and prep work is not unlike fiberglass: clean, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand , paint. Seems odd, but these materials work equally well on aged fiberglass and last a long time with great appearance.

The products we use are Interlux Bright Side Polyurethane and related Interlux products. The manufacturer's instructions are easy to follow, and with some patience and practice, you can get professional results.

Attached is a picture of our "floating RV" (yes, that is a wooden hull). I use Interlux materials exclusively, and they can provide great results. Other manufacturer's stuff works equally well. Check out boat forums for additional information.

Erich
c

I want that boat gorgeous simply gorgeous. Nothing nicer than a old wood boat.
I can see us going down the old Mississippi in her just saying,
Thanks for the great picture, can I use it for my desk top Pic?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #20

Poliglow results so far

O.K. The poligow came in last Friday. I could not wait to do a test spot. I did. It looked great so I proceeded to do another small section which resulted in the entire passenger side.

1996 36' Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour
First you dilute the poliprep. 1;3 ratio with water. You can use a regular truck/RV brush and use the coarse pad provided to get the tough stains out. Let it dry for an hour. Then apply the poliglow with the (damp) microfiber mitten provided. Work in one direction like painting, right to left. And also look it from an angle to ensure you are evenly applying it. I worked from front to back as high as I can reach, then went back and did the upper 1/4 or so. The only thing I am disappointed with is I didn't find this product sooner. OUTSTANDING!!! I put 3 coats on so far and think one more will do it. It looks so much better, even the stickers look good. The starter kit is the way to go but I am going to need another bottle of the Poliglow to finish it up right. A bottle half the size should do it. I have plenty of before and after pics and will post them when I am satisfied with the results. Bottom line is its absolutely worth the 68 bucks! I wasted 525.00 on a professional to detail my coach and the results we less than satisfying. I felt like I flushed 525.00 down the toilet. After these result...I did for sure. I will update with pics. In the mean time...do not hesitate to get this stuff if you are looking to bring back that shine. Great product.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Poly-Glo still looking good after 2 years with just washings
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadsword View Post

I have a 1996 36' Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour with a Ford 460 7.5 L.

It is white with two tone gold along the cargo hatches and across the front and rear ends of the coach. I am going to repaint the two tone. Its faded and to far gone for a buffing wheel to bring it back. I buffed, waxed, and sealed the white/fiberglass portion of the coach and am unhappy with the results. There is little sheen left in her.

What are my options with fiberglass? New Gelcoat? Paint? Also I have a couple small puckers in the fiberglass from minimal water damage that has since been repaired. How do I deal with the puckers?

Thanks for all your help!
I tried the "Zep" application as posted elsewhere and I can't believe I didn't do it years ago. My 96 Adventurer, like yours, was faded to the point where there was no hope to polish it. And to make matters worse, our neighbours and frequent RV partners traded up to a new shiny DutchStar. I tried RV gelcoat polish, turtle wax, and others and the best I could get was a a little gloss and very tired arms.
I pressure washed , then spot cleaned the mildew spots, (like I said theres no finish and everything eats its way into the gelcoat)using a weak TSP solution and a green scrubbie. After rinsing well I started with the Zep Wet Look. Using a torn up terry towel I applied very thin coats. working around the RV. My wifey came out after the 1st coat and sighed, hoping for better results. The finish was streaky and hazy , but I told her thats to be expected and each coat gets better. After 4 coats she couldn't believe its the same RV!
It's very important to do the following
#1 CLEAN ALL DIRT/MILDEW!
#2 USE THIN COATS TO AVOID RUNS!
#3 WATCH FOR HAIR, LEAVES, ETC THAT FLOAT IN WHILE ITS DRYING.
Overall I'm very satisfied with the results. Wish I did it 2 years ago.
Now to repaint the lower section .....
Old 04-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #23

Would not reccomend Zep for the striping though because it made ours (striping) look chalky. But it makes all the rest look like new. You need to prep it only once after that a light re-coat every year will keep it looking shiny and new. As far as I'm concerned its the easiest way to go...And it works !!
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Would not reccomend Zep for the striping though because it made ours (striping) look chalky. But it makes all the rest look like new. You need to prep it only once after that a light re-coat every year will keep it looking shiny and new. As far as I'm concerned its the easiest way to go...And it works !!
The tapestripes on our Adventurer were pretty good shape but faded also. The Zep made them look much better although the "metal flake" in them doesn't sparkle like new. Perhaps it's a maybe on the stripes , worth trying on a small section and remove if it goes chalky like yours did.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #25

I have a 1999 holiday rambler tried all types of wax I was very unhappy with results. Tried the Zep faded to guickly. I have now used poly glow for two year, my MH has a great shine. I will clean and prep for a two coat re coat this year. The trick to making it look great is the prep work, get all the black streak and follow directions. It took two bottles of poly glow for my 36 footer.

Good luck
Je
Old 04-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've seen the results from both Zep and Poly Glo and they make a faded unit look great. Our neighbor had his 5er nose done last year and in returning to the park this season it still shines great. He was very please with the results and actually the people that put it on are coming out toady to detail his 5er and see if it needs another coat. In looking at it I would doubt it.
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehall46 View Post
I have a 1999 holiday rambler tried all types of wax I was very unhappy with results. Tried the Zep faded to guickly. I have now used poly glow for two year, my MH has a great shine. I will clean and prep for a two coat re coat this year. The trick to making it look great is the prep work, get all the black streak and follow directions. It took two bottles of poly glow for my 36 footer.

Good luck
Je
My Zep is only a week old so , so far so good, but what did you use to remove the Zep when you changed.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting some cast-vinyl stripes re-made from a sign printer is a pittance in cost compared to a re-paint. Remove the old ones, prep for polycoat or zep, apply new stripes, and coat. Pretty simple process really. I'm thinking this is way easier than trying to repaint my left side of the coach that has sat in the sun for ten years.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, paint