Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #1

Fiberglass/paint advice

I have a 1996 36' Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour with a Ford 460 7.5 L.

It is white with two tone gold along the cargo hatches and across the front and rear ends of the coach. I am going to repaint the two tone. Its faded and to far gone for a buffing wheel to bring it back. I buffed, waxed, and sealed the white/fiberglass portion of the coach and am unhappy with the results. There is little sheen left in her.

What are my options with fiberglass? New Gelcoat? Paint? Also I have a couple small puckers in the fiberglass from minimal water damage that has since been repaired. How do I deal with the puckers?

Thanks for all your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Howdy Broadsword.

If you are up for repainting, I'd like to recommend the materials we use on our 1952 Chris Craft 47' boat. The hull is pained white, and prep work is not unlike fiberglass: clean, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand , paint. Seems odd, but these materials work equally well on aged fiberglass and last a long time with great appearance.

The products we use are Interlux Bright Side Polyurethane and related Interlux products. The manufacturer's instructions are easy to follow, and with some patience and practice, you can get professional results.

Attached is a picture of our "floating RV" (yes, that is a wooden hull). I use Interlux materials exclusively, and they can provide great results. Other manufacturer's stuff works equally well. Check out boat forums for additional information.

Erich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4875.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	59390   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4870.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	59391  

Old 03-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #3

Before you spend the money on painting have a look at the Zep treatment I have a 95 Brave and it looks brand new now here are a few pics

Name:	image-3490622328.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	59392

Name:	image-4105258483.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	59393

I went half way to really show the results I have done many many coaches now and have always had great results. As for the painted section you will probably have to bite the bullet
Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
Before you spend the money on painting have a look at the Zep treatment I have a 95 Brave and it looks brand new now here are a few pics

Attachment 59392

Attachment 59393

I went half way to really show the results I have done many many coaches now and have always had great results. As for the painted section you will probably have to bite the bullet
How do you prep for Zep?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
426sMartin do a "search This forum" for Zep,, I did my fiberglass roof last year and plan to do the rest of the coach this year.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Polyglow worked really good for my 14 year old motorhome and unlike Zep it has UV inhibitors

The kit comes with cleaner, Polyglow and applicators
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

Check it out on utube as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStarDEF View Post
........Attached is a picture of our "floating RV" (yes, that is a wooden hull). ........Erich
Erich......, that's a beauty, and I know full well what a labor of love a wooden hull is! How often for the full hull? In water year-round? Salt or fresh?
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStarDEF View Post
Howdy Broadsword.

If you are up for repainting, I'd like to recommend the materials we use on our 1952 Chris Craft 47' boat. The hull is pained white, and prep work is not unlike fiberglass: clean, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand , paint. Seems odd, but these materials work equally well on aged fiberglass and last a long time with great appearance.

The products we use are Interlux Bright Side Polyurethane and related Interlux products. The manufacturer's instructions are easy to follow, and with some patience and practice, you can get professional results.

Attached is a picture of our "floating RV" (yes, that is a wooden hull). I use Interlux materials exclusively, and they can provide great results. Other manufacturer's stuff works equally well. Check out boat forums for additional information.

Erich

WOW! She is a beauty
Old 03-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #10
Commercial Member

JFXG:

MV Tres Hombres (the name of our Chris Craft) is home ported on Salmon Bay, Lake WA, just inside the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, so she spends most of the time in fresh water in a covered slip and is in the water year round. We haul out every 4 years for inspection and bottom paint, plus other maintenance. During summers, we spend at least 8 weeks on salt water in Puget Sound and points north and south. We like to have at least 2 weeks in San Juan Islands, and 2 weeks further north in Canadian Gulf Islands.

We wooded, refastened, and faired the topsides in 2002. Since then, we've scuff sanded and added 2 coats of 1 part polyurethane enamel in 2006 and power buffed/touched up in 2010. We're due to haul out this year, and will scuff sand and add 1 coat. Properly maintained, the paint system we use seems to have great durability.

Thanks for the kind words.

Erich
Old 03-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
Commercial Member

JFXG:

WOW!! The info in your IRV2 name indicates you are on Marrowstone Island near Mystery Bay. We've been in there before on MV Tres Hombres, and that is a GREAT place on by boat or on land. Can be a little damp this time of year! If this is your first visit to that area, be sure to check out Port Townsend. We've been there many times afoot and afloat and love it.

Apologies for the off-topic post in this thread!!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post

Attachment 59392

Attachment 59393

Is it an oily application? I ask because One of the areas we dry camp takes us down a long lime rock road. Not that it would stop me from using the product. Just wondering if dust sticks. I will absolutely try this before painting.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadsword View Post
Is it an oily application? I ask because One of the areas we dry camp takes us down a long lime rock road. Not that it would stop me from using the product. Just wondering if dust sticks. I will absolutely try this before painting.
No, it is hard like clear coat.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dutchstar View Post
Check it out on utube as well.
I checked it out. I gotta try it! The two tone pain on the bottom will be interesting to see what happens to it. The cargo door hatches are metal. So I'm thinking I will still end up painting it. Which is a lot better than doing the entire coach. I can shoot paint with the best of em so I am not worried. Thanks!

Tags
advice, paint