Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fiberglass roof

What is the best way to maintain a fiberglass roof ?

68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It seems like fiberglass roofs are pretty much maintenance-free, except for maybe keeping it clean! Ours is 14 years old and still in great shape!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
No maintenance required other than inspect for damage such as from low hanging tree limb and repair any physical damage from that to the gelcoat layer with eternabond tape or lap sealant. Maintain the sealed joints with front and rear caps and around vents etc.

OK to clean it with any non-abrasive mild cleaner.
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2016 Honda HR-V
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
The fiberglass roofs are gelcoat?
2014 Berkshire 390RB
dan-nickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
The fiberglass roofs are gelcoat?
Mine is! (1997 Allegro Bus)
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I clean mine twice a year with baby bath/shampoo and vinegar, and then treat with 303 Protectant (including vent covers, AC shrouds, etc) ... also do the slide covers. Good advise on a previous post to check all seams carefully ... it's a sure bet that it will pay dividends ... safe travels ...
2015 Itasca Ellipse | 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Lv2Roam2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The fiberglass may be maintenance free, but the seams and openings are caulked like any other type of roof and need periodic inspection and touch-up.

Most fiberglass roofs are painted and the paint may deteriorate even though the fiberglass does not. Chalking is not unusual after several years. Dicor makes a good fiberglass roof paint if yours ever needs to be re-painted.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
A person that has a fiber glass roof should apply a coat of wax to protect it from the sun. If not the sun will eat her up. I go to Wal-Mart and buy liquid Blue Coral and just apply it all over the roof. You do not have to polish it up like you do the side walls, this is just to protect it from the UV rays.

I used to get up on top years ago and check the caulking, but since I Eternabond all the seams, I never have to worry about caulking. Wife was always scared I might get dizzy and fall off the coach and that would be curtains for sure. So I do not get up there much anymore.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 38'
Neway Freightliner chassis, 2016 GMC Terrain toad
3126-E Caterpillar 330 hp
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
iRV2 No Limits Club
I sprayed my BriteTek roof on the '02 Dutch Star with 303 after cleaning it. Going to do the same with the present fiberglass roof too.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fiberglass roof maintainance

Thanks for the input. I have a 2014 sun star 31 ke .The roof looks like filon not gell coat.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #11
Roof Maintenance required every 6 months!

I found that my Winnebago requires that seams fore and aft and sealant along the roof edges be inspected, cleaned and renewed if necessary every six months. I didn't know this and found my roof partially peeled off in some high cross winds due to deteriorated sealant along the edges.
The edges are not screwed down but are pressed into a channel that runs front to back. There is an adhesive sealant applied to waterproof the joint and help secure it in place - for sure it will prevent wind from getting under roof and pulling it loose..
Cleaning is also required...waxing will make it easier to clean and reduces chalk like residue that streaks down the sides of the coach.
2004 Winnebago Brave 32V, 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Roadmaster tow stuff Samsung RF18 Fridge
2+2 USAF Retired
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #12
I am new to rv's. But I have a lot of experience in auto detailing, paint, gel coat repairs and boating. Your gel coat needs to be washed and waxed annually at a minimum if garaged. If it spends all of its time outside I would recommend tri-annual or more If not you will loose you shine and end up with oxidization. Gel coat needs the oils from the wax to stay
With a boat and we put 100 plus hours on a year, 3 times a week. We wipe it down with water and white viniger to remove the hard water marks every time after we finish. Safe and works great. And clean and wax it at least twice a year but it is garaged. Usually a lot more because of the use. No real need to buff unlesssratched or rubbing Once a year at the end of season it will get a miratic acid bath and wax before putting it away for winter. Now I'm not thinking rv's need miratic acid wash but that is going to get the harshest of oxidization and hard water scum off gel coat. It is not safe for aluminum or steel so I am not recommending it as much as Only making a statement of harsh use and a cleaner that can be used under certain safety constraints for gel coat.
Gel coat is mixed with acetone to thin when it is sprayed or applied. That being said acetone is the absolute harshest chemical that can be used with a rag only to whip only to remove crud during cleaning before apply wax to seal back up. Again this is not a recommendation only a statement. Most will need nothing this extreme.
Just wash and wax it in the shade or out of direct sunlight. Get all of the wax off. Wax left on can cause damage in direct sunlight.
Gel coat and paint both need cleaned and waxed regularly.

Krutzmart is offline   Reply With Quote