RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Fiberglass roof bubbles

I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler. This morning I was surprised to see that in the past week the fiberglass roof has started to bubble over some of the roof ribs. Has anyone else had this experience?

I have spent a lot of time and money trying to maintain my coach, but replacing the roof is in a whole new bracket.

Thanks,

Steve

RVsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 04:57 AM   #2
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
A good picture would help so we can see what "bubble" means. Shoot at an angle that shows clearly what you're seeing.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how the fiberglass sheet can "bubble", so I suspect you are seeing some coating or paint problem. Try wire brushing or sanding it down a bit and it should clear up. Re-paint as needed. Dicor makes a white fiberglass roof paint that is excellent.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #4

Here are some photos. The contrast is not good, but I will try for more when the sun is lower for better contrast.

I hope I attached the photos correctly.

RVsteve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	143969   Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	143970  

Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	143971   Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	143972  

Old 11-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

Is this a rubberized roof. From the current pictures that what it looks like to me. I had a 96 pace arrow that has similar bubbles. Never did leak or bother me...
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #6

Roof Bubbles

Nope, not rubberized. It is a one piece fiberglass roof. Monaco tech said he'd never heard of a fiberglass roof bubbling. It's all a little strange...came on all of a sudden, disappears at night, comes back when the sun heats it.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #7

Since fibreglass is a rigid material I have never seen or heard of this. Interested to see what others say on this issue. Surely you can be the only one to ever have this issue.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve
I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey built in the 2nd quarter of 2008. Was on the roof yesterday and just noticed I also have similar looking "bubbles" in 2 spots on my fiberglass roof. They were definitely not there in the summer. Had to have both sidewalls replaced in 2010 by Winnebago due to a bad batch of side panels when mine ( and many others) were built. Makes me wonder if there was a bad batch of fg roof panels as well floating around at the same time. Will be interesting to see if any others have the same problem. Going to take some pictures tomorrow and send them to Winnebago. I agree with the other posters that fiberglass "does not bubble" so it is hard to rationalize how these came about. In any event, you are not the only one with bubbles. It is definitely not a coating or finish - it is the panel itself.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
That may be a fiberglass roof, but from the pic's I see, there seems to be an additional coating on top of it. I mean look at the area all around. There are blotches everywhere. Lot's of them. If there has been some sort of coating put on the fiberglass roof, like maybe an inappropriate coating of some sort, or maybe not prepped properly, and then the heat of the day could heat up the fiberglass underneath and maybe there's a chemical reaction going on that creates air bubbles between the 2 materials. A swelling effect of sorts. Kinda like a rash of your body from a chemical reaction.

R U the original owner? How long have you owned this RV? Do U know if there has been any product put on the original roof? Have you tried to push down a little bit with your finger on these raised areas to see if they're soft or anything like that? What's your take on all those other blotches/blemishes around the surrounding area?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
That may be a fiberglass roof, but from the pic's I see, there seems to be an additional coating on top of it. I mean look at the area all around. There are blotches everywhere. Lot's of them. If there has been some sort of coating put on the fiberglass roof, like maybe an inappropriate coating of some sort, or maybe not prepped properly, and then the heat of the day could heat up the fiberglass underneath and maybe there's a chemical reaction going on that creates air bubbles between the 2 materials. A swelling effect of sorts. Kinda like a rash of your body from a chemical reaction.

R U the original owner? How long have you owned this RV? Do U know if there has been any product put on the original roof? Have you tried to push down a little bit with your finger on these raised areas to see if they're soft or anything like that? What's your take on all those other blotches/blemishes around the surrounding area?
There is water on his roof in his photo's........is that what you are seeing?
Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #11

I am the original owner and I have not applied any special coating. The bubbles are semi-soft so that I can depress them by standing on them. The fact that they are appearing over the metal roof ribs must be some sort of clue. Maybe the metal absorbs more heat from the sun, but why this problem after 8 years, most of which the coach was stored out-of-doors. I have sent photos to Monaco for an opinion.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #12

The water is from melted frost from overnight low temps. Blotches are just dirty spots. I clean the roof once a year.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #13

After-thought: My coach was built the year before Holiday Rambler filed for bankruptcy, and they did a few odd things during construction trying to clear inventory. Although the VIN specs say it is one-piece fiberglass roof, it is POSSIBLE it is some other compound. I'll see what Monaco has to say.

Tags
roof