Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Fiberglass Roof Clean and Seal

I could probably put something over top of the mess on there now and it might work.
But after seeing how it looks with the mess removed I think a good quality wax will be much more effective by removing the years of band aids.
My guess is at some point a white paint was added or floor wax over chalked finish. Then later coats of floor wax added. There are lots of old puddled areas of thick coating.

The area I removed the mess with MEK looks like a brand new fiberglass roof with a little less shine. Nice and smooth versus the other areas are rough when running hand over surface.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You could use Protect all but would have to reapply it yearly. I have a 10 year old Bright Tek roof and it looks great. The PO sealed that with something. I like the mop an glow idea. I'm going to try it. You know it might be commercial floor wax. They make a stripper for that. Try a janitorial supply. They carry it.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #17

RenewZit wax remover might work. I'd test a small area to discover how effective it works.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:30 AM   #18

Hi, Slo Mo here in Utah. 1987 Beachcraft. My roof is the same condition, nearly, only some white chalky streaking down the sides. My grandson and used a Gelkote from Camping World and did a satisfactory job. I'm interested to know if this is a yearly job, due to the four seasons as I just "upgraded" from an older 16' trailer to this R.V. Motorhome.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #19

I cannot comment on what the previous coatings on your roof are, or how you might remove them. It is just my opinion that you need to remove them if you want to accomplish a really first-class repair.

However, I have a roof that was cleaned thoroughly and coated (four coats, I think) with Zep High Traffic Floor Finish in early 2013. With no further attention other than washing, my once black-and-grey mottled roof is still snowy white and shiny.

I will say that cleaning my roof seemed at first nearly impossible. I tried every kind of cleaner and every kind of abrasive and non-abrasive pad at my disposal, aided by a random-orbital sander. None of them worked well, and it looked like the job could take days. Then I tried a small test spot using full-strength Purple Stuff (409, Greased Lightning, etc.). With virtually no effort, the spot cleaned up snowy white. I did not want to have any of the Purple Stuff run down the sides of the coach, so I sprayed a small area and wiped up all the cleaner with paper towels, which I just threw over the side until finished. It took very little time. When finished, I scrubbed the roof with soap and a brush. I let it dry thoroughly before applying Zep. This was on a 2000 Monaco Dynasty with a large gelcoated area in the center of the roof, surrounded by paint and clearcoat along the sides.

I think that Zep and Mop 'n Glo are likely very similar products, but Zep is a MUCH higher solids content. If you get it on your hands, it feels like dried paint. But it is easily removed with Zep stripper.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #20

Fiberglass Roof Clean and Seal

Thanks for all the advice. I may have a little more time to try some other cleaning methods tomorrow. Will try's purple power and some more ZEP stripper.
For sure I am going to get the mess removed, even if I have to resort to acetone or MEK and a respirator.
Underneath the mess the roof does look really good. Not sure I am committed to one of the floor finishes yet. Might just use a regular wax to buy some time to think it over.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #21

I was really excited about coating my roof on the MH with ZEP until I read that some of the units that were the first to try it were now peeling and turning yellow. The thought of trying to remove the old wax has made me reconsider doing it.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragvw2180 View Post
I was really excited about coating my roof on the MH with ZEP until I read that some of the units that were the first to try it were now peeling and turning yellow. The thought of trying to remove the old wax has made me reconsider doing it.
Drag, I have certainly not seen any evidence of what you reported about yellowing or peeling Zep, though I am just one single example. However, I don't think it would ever be difficult to remove. The Zep stripper dissolves it almost immediately. In my case, I don't plan to strip it, but just to clean it well and apply a "maintenance" coat when needed. Based on my experience with Zep, I can't imagine it peeling unless it was applied over a surface that was not well cleaned.

BTW, my previous coach was a 1993 Monaco Dynasty that had some really tired blue paint. Without much confidence in the result, I decided to try the Zep on the entire coach. The transformation was nothing short of spectacular. No, the Zep did not make it look like it had new paint, but it surely changed it from "old and tired" to "very nicely maintained". One place that the Zep is truly outstanding is the black window frames on my coach. It makes them deep black and shiny, and like the roof, it is still looking good after two years.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #23

What I read is posted on this site ,
Red Max Pro #3 Question

This is a link to the post I was speaking about it is at the last most pages .
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #24

My '97 Aerbus has a 1 piece molded fiberglass roof and it had all sorts of grime and mess on it. I scrubbed the heck out of it with oxy clean and then used a power washer on it with a strong tip. Did it about 3 times and that power washer really stripped it sparkling white. I can't imagine having the results without using a power washer.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:23 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How UV resistant is the ZEP?

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 AM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
My '97 Aerbus has a 1 piece molded fiberglass roof and it had all sorts of grime and mess on it. I scrubbed the heck out of it with oxy clean and then used a power washer on it with a strong tip. Did it about 3 times and that power washer really stripped it sparkling white. I can't imagine having the results without using a power washer.
I'm wondering about the damage done by the pressure washer! With my gas powered one I can take the top off the concrete sidewalk and driveway without even using the smallest tip. I would never use that on a fiberglass roof either.
My son and I used to have a pressure washing business and the 3600 psi 6+ gpm hot water unit would do a number on concrete too.
Maybe a low powered electric rig would be OK though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #27

Last night I did a small section with ZEP stripper. Several passes and letting it sit got majority of old finish off. I will do the rest of the roof like this and maybe a quick wipe with acetone to remove any residual finish.

Definitely not coming off easily with the stripper. Takes time and multiple applications.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
How UV resistant is the ZEP?
I can't answer that except to say mine has shown no signs of yellowing after two years, nor have any spots peeled. My coach does spend a good deal of time under a shelter, though.

Tags
roof, seal