Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #1

I am wondering if there has been any serious problems with firberglass roofs on Winnebagos ?
I have read the extensive posts on this forum... biggest problem seems to be that they are slippery and how to care for them etc. Didn't see any discussion if they are Good or Bad.
Is there Anyone with some knowledge on this topic ?
THANKS
Dennis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #2

I am wondering if there has been any serious problems with firberglass roofs on Winnebagos ?
I have read the extensive posts on this forum... biggest problem seems to be that they are slippery and how to care for them etc. Didn't see any discussion if they are Good or Bad.
THANKS
Dennis

Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DenMc:
THANKS
Dennis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My previous coach was probably had the worst maintianed roof you had ever seen but a few minutes with a floor scrubber, some polymer sealant/finish along with a good caulking job and that 12 year old fiberglass Winnebago roof looked like new. A rubber roof with that lack of care would have long ago disintegrated.

I had driven that coach through places that would have left a rubber roof in shreds and got through without any damage whatsoever except for a few green streaks from where the branches dragged across.

It is more dramatic when a fiberglass roof fails but it is the exception and not to be expected. With a rubber roof you know that someday it will have to be replaced so you are expecting it and more resigned to it when it comes time to do so.

Keep them clean, coat them with a good polymer boat sealant (not a slippery wax) and the caulking in good order and there will be few if any problems. Far less then you will get from a rubber or fabric roof.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DenMc;

My current motor home is mt 2nd with a fiberglass roof. I am happy with it. I clean and wax it once a year in the spring. It looks like new.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Neil as I've had three Winnie fiberglass roofs with no major problems. Only problem was with my first class C when I did not check the caulking and had a leak. Now I know to check the seals every month or so.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Fibreglas roofs are great. The only thing I liked better was the one-piece aluminum roof on a Georgie Boy we had a long time ago. The problem is that WI roofs require periodic maintenance to insure that the seals around the edges are maintained. If you don't like to do this, Eternabond takes care of that, too.
Dirk
Old 09-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree also. Although I've had RVs for over 30 yrs, I have never had a rubber roof. I do like the fiberglass roof very much. As mentioned it doesn't need replaced under normal conditions. After seeing friends cleaning and maintaining a rubber roof compared to what I have to do, I know I will always have a fiberglass roof.

I've been on mine when it is wet and haven't found it to be all that slippery. I wax it at least twice a year but in addition to vents, sat dish etc I have a few large solar panels so it doesn't take all that long to wax it.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm painting the deck on my boat with a non-skid rubber water soluable paint. I wonder how that would work?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Sounds like another maintenance problem.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #10

When I first asked this question I was wondering about the 'Pro's & Con's '..but after hearing from owners with F/G roofs I see no serious problems. As far as painting it with a boat deck paint, as Finback mentioned, I only hope he was refering to a rubber roof and not a F/G roof. I did see in other posts that if one is concerned about being slippery 3M makes a very good sticky back tape in many widths to place on the F/G roof to help improve safety.
Thanks to all who posted, your information has been a great help.
Dennis,
Nanaimo, B.C.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #11

Sorry,.... I meant "Finhawk"
Dennis
Nanaimo, B.C.