Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #1

Fighting cross winds

I have a 07 newmar canyon star 33' on a workhorse chassis 8.1 gm engine Allison 6 speed transmission
Replace all tires with Hankook AH11 tires front were aired to 95 pounds (coach calls for max of 100 pounds)
Just back from a four day trip and fought the wheel the whole time
Will changing the front psi to 100 help
Do I need to change the front two tires out and if so what tire would help with the side to side softness
Is there anything else I can do to make the drive more pleasant
Thanks
Stuart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

BlueOx Tiger Trac rear track bar and a set of Koni FSD shocks tamed our W-22 chassis from your described symptoms. Although I liked the design of the Tiger Trac, any rear trac bar will probably get the job done...the FSD's will help with any porpoising at bridge and concrete expansion joints and help with body roll as well.

I think that these two items give these chassis the best bang for the buck, I also believe we'll always have some small degree of 'tailwag'...sort of the nature of the beast.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

Thanks I will look into both of these
I don't know if I feel the back troubles as much as fighting the steering wheel
Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Stuart, if the back moves laterally, it will push the front in the opposite direction. I wanted to have the maximum control, so front and rear trac bars along with a steering stabilizer installed. Yes I know when the wind is blowing, but I can keep the unit going straight.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

Thanks I have a lot to learn. Has anyone installed a safe-t-plus steering control?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Stuart,

The Safe-T-Plus is a great safety device to keep you from loosing control of your rig if you have a front tire go on you. It is not adjustable while driving to compensate for cross winds.

Glenn
Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #7

I'm a little unclear about your post.

Did you just replace the tires and then the steering problems occurred or did you always have the problems or something else?

Many (bad) things can occur during a tire change if it isn't done correctly. A friend has a tie rod bent on his coach and I have seen RV sent home with severely out of balance tires.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #8

I had new tires installed about 1200 miles ago before this we had Goodyear tires and had no problems I believe that my problems is the front tires just don't know if I need to replace the front tires or increase the psi to 100 pounds
Old 06-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Stuart, if the back moves laterally, it will push the front in the opposite direction. I wanted to have the maximum control, so front and rear trac bars along with a steering stabilizer installed. Yes I know when the wind is blowing, but I can keep the unit going straight.

Fred
Wind is a handful in almost all motorhomes! A lot of gas MH have 12-14 foot rear overhang (short wheel base ) The back is moving the front around. My 36 journey is a little better than my old bounder but still a hand full in wind. Yes it is no fun but 70,000 miles in the bounder and 50,000 miles on journey we still love it just slow down and hang on. The quote above goes for diesel MH also.

Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My old tires were Hankook front and Goodyear rears. 95 PSI all around.

New AH12 Hankooks all around. Still 95 PSI.

They ride much softer than the old tires and require a little more searching with the wheel to keep it in the lane. Nothing much I can do about it I suppose. Not that bad but not as good as the old tires.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased my MH new in 2004. 35' Newmar Scottsdale, Workhorse.
I had trouble similar to what you have. I was all over the place in the wind, passing trucks and when going over bridge bumps it bucked up and down. Dealer replaced the shocks and installed Steer Safe. That really helped. Drove completely different. Trucks hardly effect me and the wind is tamed and no more bucking. However, if it is really windy (20 mph or more), it is still difficult. Just a nature of the high sides. Also, if a tire should blow out, the Steer Safe is suppose to help steer straight. I do have 19.5 Goodyear tires.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Stuart,

The Safe-T-Plus is a great safety device to keep you from loosing control of your rig if you have a front tire go on you. It is not adjustable while driving to compensate for cross winds.

Glenn
Saf-T-Plus has an optional trim adjustment that works really good in cross winds. I have one. You can set the trim with a 90 deg crosswind (flags standing straight out on the poles along the road) and then take your hands off the wheel and the coach will continue to track straight in your lane. This works as good as the Howard Power Center system (no long made), which I had on our old coach.

I had mine installed at Kaiser Brake & Alignment in Eugene, OR.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Why hasn't ANY told this member that the FIRST thing he needs to do is 4 corner weigh his unit THEN inflate all tires to the psi recommended in the mfgrs. tire pressure chart??
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Why hasn't ANY told this member that the FIRST thing he needs to do is 4 corner weigh his unit THEN inflate all tires to the psi recommended in the mfgrs. tire pressure chart??
Yes, proper inflation is necessary, however it will not cure wind conditions.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote