Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
2x what bailiff said joe

Allan&Mary with Daisy Dog&peanuts
1999 Newmar Mountian Aire 3758 37.5 ft V10
living life like there is know tomorrow
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
My previous Coach was a 88 Coachmen I owned for about 10 years. I could never fill it fast or without it tripping off many times while filling. I never figured out why this happened and just figured it was built when gas was much cheaper thus pumping more slowly than pumps do today.

Regwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #17

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've had problems getting the fuel tank full ever since we've had the MH. It seems that no matter how slow I fill the tank the nozzle trips off before the tank is completely full.

Someone on here told me to open the fill spout on the opposite side of the coach while pumping fuel. That sounded logical to me so on my last trip I tried that. I was pumping away and my wife started screaming from the other side. I stopped and went around there to find fuel pouring out the filler spout onto the ground! I was pumping it into one side and out the other!
The pavement was sloped slightly to the passenger side!
Try the "invert the pump" trick (pump handle inserted upside down)... works every time. Logic is the fuel is being pumped to the walls of the fuel tube and doesn't create any foam and vents more. Watch out though... it works so well that the pump might not automatically shut off and spill fuel. I dont even bother inserting the pump right side up anymore...
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
I'd hate to suggest something so "creative" or foolish as this, BUT if you have air levelers and can control side to side............ when prices are lower and I want to maximize my visit, I've been known to slope the coach and get another 10-15 gallons in it. I've had people ask if there was something wrong with the MH because it looks like it is tipping over...............
Tom and Gail McKeon plus Chief
2007 Beaver Contessa 42' Tag CAT C9
2010 Jeep Wrangler 1997 HD Roadking on Hydralift
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
HC, do you use odometer and MPG calculation as a gauge backup? That way you can tell if your gauge is hinky.

John, no I've never thought of that.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! At least I know I'm not the only one having this problem!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Tank Fill

I have the same problem. Even with tilting the coach and watching the fuel come up the filler tube the guage still doesn't read full. But with ovre 100 gal capacity you can still travel quite some distance without worry. To me the extra gallon or two isn't worth the effort. I usually start looklng for fuel when the guage gets to about half - that way it doesn't hurt the plastic card as much. Then I can continue the dream.

06 Monaco Camelot 38 PDQ
01 Chrysler PT Cruiser
14 BMW R1200RT
tompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #21
We never show full. I have the fuel all the way up to the cap and it still will not show full. When we travel I figure 7 mpg and then figure my fuel stops. We have a 150 gallon tank so we go quite far. I also check the price of diesel and figure that also into our fuel stops.
2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
2002 Windsor
When I want to fill the tank completely, I wait for the
hose to kick off, then as I am filling, I listen to the flow.
I can get the tank filled completely, but usually will allow
some "expansion" room.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #23
The owner's Manuel for our 2014 Ventana says, do not completely fill diesel tank!
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #24
Have you checked the hose from the filler neck to the tank. Is there any sag in it?

wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote