Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Fill 'er up!

I've had problems getting the fuel tank full ever since we've had the MH. It seems that no matter how slow I fill the tank the nozzle trips off before the tank is completely full.

Someone on here told me to open the fill spout on the opposite side of the coach while pumping fuel. That sounded logical to me so on my last trip I tried that. I was pumping away and my wife started screaming from the other side. I stopped and went around there to find fuel pouring out the filler spout onto the ground! I was pumping it into one side and out the other!
The pavement was sloped slightly to the passenger side!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would take a good look at the vent and the run of the filler tube.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've had problems getting the fuel tank full ever since we've had the MH. It seems that no matter how slow I fill the tank the nozzle trips off before the tank is completely full.

Someone on here told me to open the fill spout on the opposite side of the coach while pumping fuel. ...
I HATE that suggestion!

You spill it, you pay for it and in some cases you can get charged/fined for the cleanup if it is serious enough.

Is it possible that the fuel gauge is not accurate? How have you established a partially full tank and do you have an idea of how much fuel it should still be able to take after you "fill" it to the shut off?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
The problem is the fuel backs up in the filler tube because of a series of bends, etc. also, the fuel "foams".
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I HATE that suggestion!

You spill it, you pay for it and in some cases you can get charged/fined for the cleanup if it is serious enough.

Is it possible that the fuel gauge is not accurate? How have you established a partially full tank and do you have an idea of how much fuel it should still be able to take after you "fill" it to the shut off?

That was my first thought too, that the gauge was wrong. This time when I finished filling the gauge showed "full". Next time I will leave the tank filler closed on the opposite side and try waiting a minute or so after the nozzle trips off to see if I can finish filling it that way.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #6

Try just loosening the cap on the other side. That is what I do, but I still keep a watch to make sure that the fuel does not go out the other side.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
That was my first thought too, that the gauge was wrong. This time when I finished filling the gauge showed "full". Next time I will leave the tank filler closed on the opposite side and try waiting a minute or so after the nozzle trips off to see if I can finish filling it that way.
FWIW, my fuel gauge seems a tad "slow" in showing it full. I've seen it take about a minute after I turn on the ignition for the needle to completely move to full. It seems odd but it is what it is.

Certainly giving it a minute or so should allow the foam to dissipate. It is a PIA but, again, it is what it is. Now, there could be some ways to fix that but I leave that to others that have had experience in that area.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Even on the lowest auto setting on the nozzle, it will still foam up. I usually end up propping the nozzle open with the cap, which is slower than the lowest setting. When it shuts off, I let it set for a minute, then finish it off by hand. Takes a little longer, but by the time I do a walk around and clean the windshield and front end from bugs, it's about finished. And the tank does fill up. With Truck nozzles, it's even more important to do it that way because of the higher flow. Opening the other side doesn't do much to stop the foaming, as mentioned earlier, it's more a function of obstacles or bends it takes to get to the tank that causes it.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my previous MH, the fuel filler tube was a long rubber hose that had begun to sag over the years. This caused a situation similar (but not as extreme) to the "P" trap in household drain lines and would make refueling the MH a very long process. The sag in the hole was not very much but enough to hold a pocket of fuel and cause the pump to click off. The solution was to replace the straight sections of the hose with metal tubing and just keep rubber at the bends. This worked great over the last 5-6 years and was still working fine when I traded that coach in last Fall.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #10

Joe

There are a few common problems to check for.

Look at the fill hoses where they enter the fuel tank. If they don't enter at the top then your pushing the fuel up into the tank once it reaches the hose. Any foam has no place to go but up the fill tube. Mine enter the sides of the tank about 1/8 of the way down. This means for me the last 15 to 20 gallons are extremely slow.

Look at your vent hoses. Make sure that the vent hoses don't have a dip in them. They should go from the tank up to the filler without drooping. A low spot will collect the foam and fill with fuel creating an air block making the tank vent back up the fuel hose.

A lot of people try to fill to fast. The big trucks dump fuel straight into the tank not down a long small hose. Pumping the fuel quickly into the tank can create a significant amount of foam that will take awhile to settle. Use the lowest setting or make a small wedge to slow it down even more.

97 Beaver Patriot, Cat 3126, Aqua Hot
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #11

Carolina Campers
On my Dolphin, the fill is at the rear, not the side. I like that better, but I also found that the only way to fill it without it stoping is to hold the nozzle up toward the top of fill and rest the end of the nozzle to the back. That means I have to hold the nozzle while filling. Also a PITA. Regardless, once I did leave it to wash the front window and the nozzle did not auto stop, what a mess,
Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #12

Diesel fuel foams a lot more than gasoline and dissipates a lot slower. The result can be 3/4 full of fuel and 1/4 foam. Semi trucks can experience the foam too. To fill their tanks, when the fuel gets close to the top, they slow the flow to reduce the foam, sometimes stopping a minute then finishing. My old F350 would cluck off, then after a brief wait, I could slowly continue to finish with about 6 additional gallons.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

HC, do you use odometer and MPG calculation as a gauge backup? That way you can tell if your gauge is hinky.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

What Bailiff said!

Even the straight One-ish foot fuel filler in my Dodge 3500/5.9L and my old F350/7.3L stopped/popped the pump before full. It can be foam from the high speed fill pump.

I slow it down for the last 2-3 gallons (of a 30gal tank) -or- I have to sit and wait for the foam to dissolve.

Not a big problem, just a time waste.
Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote