Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Cek

Filling hydraulic reservoir.

I want to check the fluid for our jacks. I found the reservoir but I'm not sure where to fill it from. There are tw caps on the top one on the left and one on the right. They seem to be very loose and more like a plug or vent? I don't want to pry on them and find out that's not the right way to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1897
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	39638  
Cek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Is this a Winnebago? I think Power Level is a brand name that Power Gear made for Winnebago use. If so, this manual may be helpful. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a picture showing the filler cap, but it does have the fill procedure.

http://support.powergearus.com/drawings/3010001202.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently rebuilt my power gear levelers on my Bounder. Although not a Winne I think they should be the same. The two [I believe fill plugs] you mentioned should be threaded one inch wrench should fit as I remember. Loosing either, fill to a level where you can feel your fluid with your finger. When checking or filling reservoir have levelers in the up position, not in the down position. You will be adding too much if they are down and you will have a mess on your hands. Hope this helps. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
I recently rebuilt my power gear levelers on my Bounder. Although not a Winne I think they should be the same. The two [I believe fill plugs] you mentioned should be threaded one inch wrench should fit as I remember. Loosing either, fill to a level where you can feel your fluid with your finger. When checking or filling reservoir have levelers in the up position, not in the down position. You will be adding too much if they are down and you will have a mess on your hands. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thank you. The two "plugs" on to dont seem to be threaded. Unless something is broke they seem very loose and wobbly... Has anyone actually filled a unit that looks like this one?

05 Fleetwood Discovery
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Your photo appears to be showing the front side and if so wouldn't the filler be on the top out of sight?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Make sure the jacks are up when you fill the tank. Had an incident with a farm tractor and a large hydraulic cylinder that was extended when I filled the reservoir. Not real pretty
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After you find the fill plugs, your next thought will be "How do I get the fluid in?"
Do as I did, go get your DW's turkey baster, the thingy with the rubber ball on the end---Works great !!!!!
Just don't let your DW catch you.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Cek

I found it. You fill through the sensor hole on the side. That's the good news. The bad news is that the reservoir is full. So now I need to find out what else could cause all of the beeping and flashing.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cek View Post
I found it. You fill through the sensor hole on the side. That's the good news. The bad news is that the reservoir is full. So now I need to find out what else could cause all of the beeping and flashing.
I have never seen an RV leveling system that had "beeping and flashing" alarms for a low fluid level in the reservoir. The alarm is indicating that the jack(s) are down. If one jack is even slightly down, or a sensor out of adjustment, the alarms will sound.

When you retract the jacks, you should always allow them to retract and the timer to turn off the jacks power.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
I have never seen an RV leveling system that had "beeping and flashing" alarms for a low fluid level in the reservoir. The alarm is indicating that the jack(s) are down. If one jack is even slightly down, or a sensor out of adjustment, the alarms will sound.

When you retract the jacks, you should always allow them to retract and the timer to turn off the jacks power.

I let them fully retract. The power is off and the jacks down light is off. They only flash and beep when the coach leans in a corner when I'm driving. Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The two red wires in the picture are the sensor wires for the jacks. Your jacks DO use fluid level to show jacks down. If the jacks are down, the fluid is low in the tank and the fluid level sensor sounds the alarm. The reason the jacks sound when turning is the fluid goes to one side of the tank and the sensor sounds. Fill the tank a little higher and make sure you position the float straight down. Not at an angle.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cek View Post
Your previous comment was correct, there are no threads on the top caps, push fit with grommets. I lost one grommet when I pushed in too hard, I now use a rubber plug and check the level with a finger. If you use the side fitting, level indicator, it will never get to the full level.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #13

I have probably the exact same unit on my 2005 Fleetwood Providence. Power Gear provides two fill ports to make filling easier. Retracting the jacks all the way up is important, as already stated. Otherwise, the mess could be ugly. Once up, open the drain bolt on the bottom of the unit after removing at least one cap. The cap seems to be a vent as well. It will take just about six quarts of Dexron III or higher type. I just used Dexron VI and it has never worked better. IMHO, a funnel with a tube spout will make replacing the six quarts much easier. The cannister tank should be filled to within a quarter inch of the top. The caps have a center spindle as a dipstick. The caps can be pulled up and out without worry. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Gatraveler is exactly right.
I had a Powergear unit on a 2006 National Seabreeze. I can tell you for certain that if the fluid is just a 1/4 inch low it WILL beep and flash, especially on turns!
As soon as I added fluid, the beeping stopped. I'll bet the reservoir isn't completely full.

Pablo
pablo77rv is offline   Reply With Quote