RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #1

Filling inner dual tire with air

I purchased Viar 450p- RV compressor and was using it to set tire pressure before adding a TPMS setup. I had a dickens of a time using the “service station style” air chuck, especially on the inner dual tires. In most cases, I ended up using the screw on air hose as that worked better than the regular chuck. Am I doing something wrong here, or us the Viair normal chuck just not that good? Worse case I am going to have to take my hew MH to a tire shop and get new valve stems put on that I can connect to. I’m told this is a. common issue in inner dual tires?? Open to suggestions here.

HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #2

That chuck that came on my Viair was not appropriate for duals, mine had the one that clips on at 90 degrees and a locking lever. Don't know if yours is the same.

I use a conventional air chuck and air line same as my shop compressor at home, with the portable. The OEM Viair chuck was open and free flowing when not connected. Because a normal air chuck is closed when not on a tire, I made up a tee fitting to attach to the portable with an overpressure relief valve so the compressor won't destroy itself or the hose when it runs against a closed air chuck.

For inners the long air chuck with a straight on outlet rather than angled is your friend.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #3

Most folks put braided extenders on the inner tires. It makes them so much easier to get to.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #4

You need a dual head air gage for dualie tires.
Same for the air chuck. Personally I have better luck with a home made air chuck..a quick connect, a pipe coupling and a straight air chuck all put together makes a very handy air chuck at a fraction of the cost of store bought crap.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #5
OCM

I installed a "Crossfire" system on my duals. Now I can monitor pressure on the "walkaround" and fill both tires from one easy to get to location.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got tired of extenders leaking. Either get a straight air chuck and gauge that will reach through the wheel. Or better, have long one piece valve stems installed that extend through the wheel.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Most folks put braided extenders on the inner tires. It makes them so much easier to get to.
Did away with mine after the bracket that held it in place broke off when one tire pulling pulling it in between and blowing the inner tire. End result..... $900 for 2 tires on the side of the road.

I stop at a tire shop before getting on the road and have them checked for free.
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I purchased Viar 450p- RV compressor and was using it to set tire pressure before adding a TPMS setup. I had a dickens of a time using the “service station style” air chuck, especially on the inner dual tires. In most cases, I ended up using the screw on air hose as that worked better than the regular chuck. Am I doing something wrong here, or us the Viair normal chuck just not that good? Worse case I am going to have to take my hew MH to a tire shop and get new valve stems put on that I can connect to. I’m told this is a. common issue in inner dual tires?? Open to suggestions here.
I use the screw on chuck also - works well for me. The regular chuck is useless IMO, not just on duals but any tire, because it takes a while to inflate these big tires. The newer models come with a 3 or 4 ft extension hose now.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post

I agree that braided extenders are easier to get to, but they are notorious for leaking. After fighting a slow leak on an inner dual and recommendation by my truck tire shop, I had straight extenders installed. No more leaking inner dual. I modified my Viair hose with a 3' extension hose ahead of the gauge that ends in a clip-on chuck. The screw-on chuck that comes with the Viair is a pain. BTW, don't trust the gauge that comes with the Viair, get an Accutire gauge.
https://www.amazon.com/Accutire-Meas...%2C961&sr=8-14
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
I agree that braided extenders are easier to get to, but they are notorious for leaking. After fighting a slow leak on an inner dual and recommendation by my truck tire shop, I had straight extenders installed. No more leaking inner dual. I modified my Viair hose with a 3' extension hose ahead of the gauge that ends in a clip-on chuck. The screw-on chuck that comes with the Viair is a pain. BTW, don't trust the gauge that comes with the Viair, get an Accutire gauge.
https://www.amazon.com/Accutire-Meas...%2C961&sr=8-14
I agree - the gauge on mine is off above 100psi, ok below.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
High Desert - normally Tiffin supplies coaches with valve stem extensions for the inner duallies. Filling is then pretty easy. Ask your dealer what they did with them.

In the meantime, order some Borg dually valve stems which are the best solution.
luvlabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #12

Just to clarify here. I have a class A with 22.5” tires. The inner duals do have factory extended valve stems that come through the outer tire rim so no need for extenders, I would think. For whatever reason, the air chuck, or screw on air hose do not make contact with the valve core even when I have backed the valve core out some. So far, the Viair dual head air chuck is not impressing me.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
filling rear axle dual tires-

Here is a real old thread I started years ago and my solution to this problem-

My solution to the inner dual tire valve problem

Having done this, I also later installed a TPMS. I am still using this system- today-

I would strongly recommend this dual foot, LOCKING, air chuck

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-693-...s%2C167&sr=8-8

Set your compressor output to your desired pressure, or a few pounds more- you can easily let out a couple of pounds after your finished with that tire.

Place this chuck firmly onto the valve stem, then tilt is slightly, and it locks "in place" with the weight of the air hose on it- and go get a cup of coffee.

Click on the picture of this chuck, magnify it, and see the locking threads.

You won't find it in most auto parts stores. I have, over the years, found one store that carries it-- I can't remember which one ?
I watched a tech in a truck tire shop using it and I had to "check it out".
I have also ordered these, and given them out to my friends with motor homes at Xmas-- They love them--

Good luck----
Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

This is what I've been doing for 16 years and 4 motorhomes:

My first RV had the braided extensions when I bought it used, but they slowly leaked. So I took them off. But to add air, I would screw one of the braided extensions to the threads on the valve stem, attach my compressor (either a locking chuck, truck stop styled chuck, or a threaded one) to the open end of the braided extension and fill my duals. Then I remove the extension and put the cap on the valve. I check the tire pressure the same way.

I've simply brought that old braided extension with me ever since. No leaks and no trouble adding air, no expensive aftermarket extensions.

El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air