Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Filling own propane tank

One of the downfalls of my Newmar is that the generator runs on propane, which means constant filling of the propane tank. Most of the time I'm able to fill my tank in my hometown, but soon we hope to take longer trips and then the hassle of finding places to fill propane tanks begins. Do truck stops offer propane fills?

I did stumble upon a youtube video where propane was added to a tank from a portable 30 pound tank and a proper hose. How many people do this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we had our '00 DSDP we had a propane generator (and our last propane gen set)!! At one FMCA rally we went through 2 10 gallon tanks and most of the onboard 40 (32 usable) tank in 5 days running the gen part time to keep the dogs (and us) cool.
At that time they sold an Extend A Stay unit that allowed you to run off a portable or even much larger tank. I think the original company is out of business though but the unit is available from a different company now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Most Flying Y's/ Pilots have propane with RV Lanes. Most RV Parks too but expensive.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
At the truck stops, do they fill the propane tank for you? I've never filled my own propane tank as in my home town the propane dealer insists on doing it for you. I've watched them a hundred times so I'm sure I could figure it out if need be.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
You are not going to find a place where you fill your own propane tank. The staff at the location will fill it for you.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try to fill my tank at a U-Haul location. Typically an easy in/out location and price competitive.
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:50 AM   #7
RV LIFE Support Team

Tractor Supply has propane. Propane is easy to find, just need to keep your eyes open and do some planning ahead.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:44 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Almost all Flying J's and many normal gas stations have Propane. Of course there is UHaul also. Just look before pulling in at night and fillup. Most places won't fill after dark so plan accordingly.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Tractor Supply has propane. Propane is easy to find, just need to keep your eyes open and do some planning ahead.
I'm with Sue. I use Tractor Supply for propane.

I found Flying J RV lanes do have propane BUT you have to drive in the opposite direction of the normal flow to get the propane fill valve close to their tank. Once the Flying J store employees came out and held off the traffic so I could go around and into the lane the wrong way.

So, my vote is Tractor Supply.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:51 AM   #10

J's work good. Tractor Supply, if available, usually has about the cheapest prices.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:57 AM   #11

I have owned 3 diesel pushers, 1 had a propane generator, the other 2 had diesel. I agree with the PITA it is to always be looking for propane due to running the genny during A/C season. If I were looking for a 4th MH, I would only consider one with a diesel genny, never again will I own a MH with a propane genny! When we were on the road, Flying J was typically our "fill station" , if not there, we paid the higher price at a campground due to easier in/out of fill area.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #12

I've gotten propane filled at an Ace Hardware and a welding-supply shop.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I've gotten propane filled at an Ace Hardware and a welding-supply shop.
Ace Hardware? I just looked at the two stores around here and they don't have propane filling station. Is there a APP you use to locate the stores that have propane?

Southern States also has propane filling locations AND scales to weigh the coach if you want. My only problem is the two Southern States around here are too hard to get a motorhome into and back out.

We have propane at our stick and brick house, and when the truck came to fill our house tank I asked him if he could also fill my motorhome. The first time he said "sure no problem" and did so. The second time he said "No Way Jose" you will need to go to our bulk station for them to fill you since the tax situation is different then the house. I said no it isn't, the propane is for heating, not driving, and he said "Please go to the bulk station so I won't get into trouble again".
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:07 PM   #14

Most Ace Hardware's are privately owned. Some choose to carry propane and some want to but can not because of local ordinances / building codes. I don't think there is a app for Ace Hardware stores that identify propane.

I can't imagine anywhere where one could fill propane themselves. Most places have trained personal. Most places should also have the adapter for RV tanks.

Tags
propane, tank