Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Filling water tank without city water

We own a 2012 Thor Serrano 34M. I cannot find any way to fill the water tank without a city water connection. There is no gravity feed fill anywhere.
Does anyone know if this can be done?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can use a bucket and a submersible pump from harbor freight or locate the freshwater tank and see if you can find the fill line and just add a T. I did that on mine and I have a water line I can unroll with funnel on the end for pour filling. I added a valve at the T to prevent water spilling out my extra fill line.

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Our fiver has a hose attached to the water line next to the pump for winterizing. By opening or closing certain valves water can be pumped or gravity feed into the fresh water tank. Don't have any pictures to show.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippinhead View Post
We own a 2012 Thor Serrano 34M. I cannot find any way to fill the water tank without a city water connection. There is no gravity feed fill anywhere.
Does anyone know if this can be done?
Skippinhead,
Well, I don't mean this to sound like "Stereotyping" but, I recently have read several threads on how poorly Thor products are manufactured. I personally have no experience with Thor products so, I can't help you with your issue. I have read a thread or two on "No way to fill a water tank" and, all I can say is, I'd be calling Thor on this issue and find out if one can be installed. That sucks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

That's the way many RV's are today. I replaced my water pump some time ago with a newer one. I use the old one as a transfer pump. Installed hose bibs to it and use it when I'm dry camping for an extended time. Works great.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Our fiver has a hose attached to the water line next to the pump for winterizing. By opening or closing certain valves water can be pumped or gravity feed into the fresh water tank. Don't have any pictures to show.
That's the way our two Dutch Star MH's were. The present one has a gravity fill but it'll be hard to use as it's hard to get to.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #7

i can't imagine an rv being designed that way by any serious manufacturer. that is a big corner cutting. if i were to buy an rv, and noticed that i would question what other parts were omitted. i would run, not walk away. they care more for a few bucks saved, no mercy on users' feeling and convenience.

keep in mind, the gravity fill is not only for water fill, but also serves as the second overflow port. the normal overflow port is typically very thin. when input water rate is higher than what the overflow port can handle, water level will continue to rise, eventually it will hit the gravity fill port. please check if you have the overflow port; that might be cut as well...

they may make a quick money, over time they are destined to the market elimination. amen!
Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

We have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage that does not have a gravity fill. In our over six years of owning it, and living full time in it for over four years, we have never had a need for a gravity fill.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If doing a gravity fill is something that you plan to do on the occasion, there a simple solution for that. Just go to your local Hardware Store and purchase a electric inline water pump with garden hose hookup. Connect the outlet of the pump to your water hose tank fill up, and connect another garden hose to the inlet of the pump, then drop the other end of the hose in you water source. I personally use this system in the spring went I want to disinfect my water tank, just drop the solution in a 5 gallon bucket and pump the solution in the tank.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #10

My Ellipse also does not have a gravity water fill either. I have a 100 gal tank and can not imagine trying to fill it with a water jug. I have never needed to add water while boondocking, so I haven't missed the gravity water fill. I don't need one, but depending on your needs, you may. That's a consideration one should take into account when deciding on their RV. I too assumed they all had one until I bought this unit. I found out quickly I didn't need it. Just my 2 cents.

Randy W
Old 03-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #11

My Concord does not have a typical gravity fill either, from what I gather if you want to fill if from some non pressured source you put the switch to winterize and turn the pump on and it will pull water into the tank. Haven't tried it yet, but will find out what happens. My tank does have an overflow if you leave the water hose hooked up while it is filling the tank, it comes out the bottom on the right hand side, quite well I might add.

Aaron
Old 03-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #12

while you might not have a 'dedicated' gravity fill hookup, you might consider removing one of the water tank overfill tubes and use it's hole into the tank - if all you're looking for is a hole into the top of the water tank.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #13

When you fill up the water tank, you use a water hose. That hose will have a connector on the end that hooks up to your coach. You connect it, throw the valve so it will fill the water tank and turn on the water. Done.

Why do you need a gravity fill? Our coach doesn't have one and I've never needed or wanted one.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:11 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only time I used the pump to fill our Dutch Stars was to put bleach in to sanitize the system. Otherwise I just turned the valve to fill the tank when at home or a campground.
I have seen them charge add'l for water at some rallies when you had only a pressure fill. Not sure why but it was about double the gravity fill price.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water