Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

Filter questions

Hi all, I have this question dealing with my oil filter on my Monaco with a C8.3 Cummins. The old filter was replaced with a NAPA 1748. This filter cross references with the Fleetguard LF3000, etc. I took the old Baldwin 103 filter off and noticed it looked a lot different internally, as you can see in the pictures from the NAPA one. I did install the NAPA one, but ever since I put it on it has been bugging me as to why it looks different on the inside compared to the Bladwin filter. It almost looks like a cheap substitute. So, probably wasting money I ordered another Baldwin, just because it will make me feel better. My question is, why the difference and is the Baldwin going to do a better job filtering the oil? I won't throw the NAPA filter away, I will use it on my next oil change if it will do the job well. Thanks for any replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	63879  
qdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am no fan of NAPA parts, they seem to use second string parts and auto repair places keep buying them because they are cheaper and thus make for repeat business. jmho
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The one on the left has an anti-drainback valve. If used on a remote location that is not vertical it keep oil in the filter. Since our motorhomes are vertical (most of the time ) either is just fine.

NAPA filters are made by Wix and as long as you buy the Gold series you are fine. They had to go with the cheaper ones a few years back to help shops stay competitive with the quick lube places.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

I know that oil filters are all supposed to work, but for the cost of an engine, I am willing to spend the extra and get my filters from the local Cummins dealer. There are places that I will use 'after market' filters, but the engine in our MH is not one of them.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #5

I buy OEM fleetguard filters from Filter Barn. The OEM oil filter is much bigger than the after market filters.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

Thanks guys. The guy at NAPA didn't even know why the filters were made different. I now know that the Baldwin is made with the anti drain back valve and the NAPA wasn't. That alone would make the NAPA filter cheaper to produce. The Baldwin looks like a well made filter. Would it compare closely to the Fleetguard?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
gdup, a Baldwin filter would be an excellent replacement filter to use. It should compare equally to Fleetguard. Fleetguard is part of the Cummins manufacturing company and for obvious reasons they would be the OEM supplier to Cummins engine applications. Is it a better filter, no not really as each filter manufacturer knows exactly how the other filter is produced. I would use the NAPA filter when you change oil, when I worked at Baldwin Filters (many years ago), Wix and Fram were excellent filters. When you cut the filters apart and analyze them they are all physically pretty much the same. The filter media are usually what really separates are good filter from a better filter. Of coarse other physical properties of each filter come into play too.

As far as an anti-drain back valve if the original filter was designed to not have one on that particular engine application then it did not need one in the filter. There are so many filters, all with similiar characteristics, that make cross referencing a filter to a competitor very hard and to make it 100% accurate. All the filters you mentioned do cross over to Baldwin's BD103. As the old Fram commercial use to state "pay me now or pay me later", again you get what you pay for.

R2Home, as far as being an "after market" filter the Baldwin filter is no more of an after market filter than Fleetguard. There are many filter manufacturers and these manufacturers produce the filters for Ford, Chev, Cat and so on. These manufacturers meet or exceed the filter specs for whatever the specs are.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the great reply and info. Very interesting. I won't be concerned about using the NAPA filter on my next oil change.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #9

IMHO the Baldwin filter or the Fleetguard LF9009 would be your best bet.

The LF9009 is an upgraded version of the LF3000 and uses different filter media as I understand it. Also the LF9009 can be used for extended service in certain applications (not RV) due to the fact that it does not use a paper filtering media. While we cannot take advantage of the extended service, it still appears to be a better design.

Had the LF9009 installed last summer by Speedco in Brunswick, GA. Oil is still looking clean on the dipstick after 10 months and 3,000 miles or so.

If you get your service at a Speedco location, they will install the LF9009 filter for any 8.3 liter displacement Cummins engine.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Baldwin and Fleetguard are both excellent brands, but so is Wix and they make the NAPA Gold series for NAPA. I would be happy to use any of them.

There are typically several variants of a filter that will fit a given application and "different" doesn't necessarily mean "better". Sometimes you can even get a physically larger filter that can run more miles between changes, but that's seldom an advantage for an RVer.

Filters with a number beginning with LF are made by Luber-finer, so those Fleetguard LF3000 and LF9009 filters aren't really any more Cummins OEM than any other brand.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote