Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Final Change Coolant - QDXXXX Generator.

We had our main Cummins ISL changed over to Cummins Final Change.

At the same time, we had our generator QD8000 pulled from the coach. (Non slide generator.) Had them try to send out the radiator out to flush and save it. No cigar, totally clogged due to poor service from pervious owner. So new radiator installed, and all kinds of new parts while everything was out and open to easy access.

I had Final Change also used as the coolant for the generator too.

Now in the main engine, I'm supposed to be able to go for quite some miles and years without needing to worry about the coolant.

Any thoughts on how long I should be able to go with Final Change in the QD8000? ) (My thoughts, were to go 500 hours, or four years, whichever came first.)

TIA for any opinions,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have done the same thing. The engine in the Genny is parent bore, no sleeves. If Final Charge will go 600k miles in the sleeved main engine, then the same coolant in the Genny will go nearly as long. It's function is to neutralize corrosion. How much coolant does it hold? Which is more expensive a coolant test or a flush and fill? I thought it might go forever, but that is wishful thinking, for sure.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #3

I would suggest looking at the cost of flush and replace vs testing.

If cost to test close to cost of materials then replace materials.

If material real expensive and cost cheap then sample and test at rv maintenance cycle.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

It was Final Charge, from Peak. Sorry for the brain skip!

Yeah, it's one of those things where it was more about providing I hoped better protection, then the costs of flushing and changing. I also hoped the generator would run a bit cooler too, as our ISL did after the change to Final Charge.

I've finally got a Peak provided test for this coolant. Seems like many places still don't understand the difference in these kinds of coolant, testing them their normal way. I always have to caution them to not touch up the tanks with any other coolant.

I might try calling Peak, and seeing if they have an opinion on recommended change internals in Diesel Generator duty.

I go thru the same thinking when it comes to generator oils. Never understood why say Mobile 1 synthetic would not provide better protection while allowing longer change intervals. We usually never hit the 100 hour change interval, though this year we did stretch both my time and hours a bit over the yearly cycle and we were over 100 hours of usage. (Lots of hot weather traveling this year!).

But I was thinking with Mobil 1, I could got say 18 months, and or 150 hours change intervals, and still provide better protection for the engine.

But posting here, and asking Cummins what they thought, always seems to come back to 'Run Dino Oil' - and of course follow the recommended change schedule.

Oh well. If I do get any input from Peak, I'll share back.
Smitty
Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Not to sound smart alecky but, why is it called "Final Change" if it has to be changed in 60,000 miles or 4 years?

Saw the thread title and it got me excited there for a minute. But now that i'm reading, this doesn't seem to be anything special or different than what has been available for years. It must be a diesel thing..
Old 08-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Not to sound smart alecky but, why is it called "Final Change" if it has to be changed in 60,000 miles or 4 years?

Saw the thread title and it got me excited there for a minute. But now that i'm reading, this doesn't seem to be anything special or different than what has been available for years. It must be a diesel thing..
Normal diesel coolant requires a least yearly testing and then appropriate additive, SCA, to keep it corrosion and liner pitting chemicals within range. The new stuff, OAT for Organic Acid Technology, allows interval up to 600,000 miles with no additives with yearly testing. The Gray area is how long to run in the Genny which doesn't need liner pitting prevention. Gasoline engines have the equivalent in DexCool, which has a five year interval. I just didn't want to have to carry two different coolants for on the road top off. The test strips naturally are different but haven't been widely distributed. They are easily tested with a refractometer, it's just a bit pricey for yearly use.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

No matter how good these coolants are.... I'm a believer of a filter and supplement on a yearly basis.... On one of our other trucks we would annually pull down the old filter when we replaced it... and we were amazed at the dirt/flakes in the filter... I think its very inexpensive protection..
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

In dealing with the Ford 6.0 we learned one issue with the diesel specific coolant is not corrosion resistance but a surfactant for the lack of correct term that keeps the coolant in contact with the calendar walls.

The ford tech stated the standard green stuff foams at a microscopic level due to the way the diesel engine vibrates and this cavitation the coolant at the wall and with v engines the rear 2 would fail.

Same effect may be in a diesel genny too.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #9

This is a good FAQ on Final Charge. And on the comment about how long, notice the 8 years and or 1M miles. To me, 8 years is pretty dang good, and not needing to do the SCA dance on a regular basis is a plus. But the engine running a bit cooler, at least for me, has also been a benefit.

I admit, that the running Final Charge in the generator was done due to the timing of a major generator repair, including new radiator - that lined up by accident with when I had our Cummins ISL changed over too. I only wanted to carry on supply of coolant.

I posted this, because Final Charge, and other OAT base change overs, were very prevalent here about 5 years or so ago. And I was hoping someone had already collected some info on the usage in diesel generators.

It will be next week before I will get to call Peak Tech Support and ask some questions in regards to generator service. I'll then follow this up with a call to Cummins/Onan Tech Support to compare the info!

Smitty
Old 08-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
This is a good FAQ on Final Charge. And on the comment about how long, notice the 8 years and or 1M miles. To me, 8 years is pretty dang good, and not needing to do the SCA dance on a regular basis is a plus. But the engine running a bit cooler, at least for me, has also been a benefit.

I admit, that the running Final Charge in the generator was done due to the timing of a major generator repair, including new radiator - that lined up by accident with when I had our Cummins ISL changed over too. I only wanted to carry on supply of coolant.

I posted this, because Final Charge, and other OAT base change overs, were very prevalent here about 5 years or so ago. And I was hoping someone had already collected some info on the usage in diesel generators.

It will be next week before I will get to call Peak Tech Support and ask some questions in regards to generator service. I'll then follow this up with a call to Cummins/Onan Tech Support to compare the info!

Smitty
My coach was changed over about 5 years ago. I bought test strips and the coolant tests very well today.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #11

Ours is testing out well to in the main engine, have not tested the coolant in the Generator yet...

Sorry I forgot to add the FAQ link in my last post.

Best to all,
Smitty

FAQ - Final Charge | PEAKhd.com
Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

Radiator clogged due to poor service by PO?!?! I have never looked at my genny radiator, nor has Onan indicated I should. Am I missing something? Am I someone else's future bad PO?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
We had our main Cummins ISL changed over to Cummins Final Change.

At the same time, we had our generator QD8000 pulled from the coach. (Non slide generator.) Had them try to send out the radiator out to flush and save it. No cigar, totally clogged due to poor service from pervious owner. So new radiator installed, and all kinds of new parts while everything was out and open to easy access.

I had Final Change also used as the coolant for the generator too.

Now in the main engine, I'm supposed to be able to go for quite some miles and years without needing to worry about the coolant.

Any thoughts on how long I should be able to go with Final Change in the QD8000? ) (My thoughts, were to go 500 hours, or four years, whichever came first.)

TIA for any opinions,
Smitty
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Radiator clogged due to poor service by PO?!?! I have never looked at my genny radiator, nor has Onan indicated I should. Am I missing something? Am I someone else's future bad PO?

Chris
Not if you change the radiator fluid regularly and use either premixed antifreeze or distilled water to fill.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You guys need to check this stuff out! We have used it in our race bikes and switched every engine we own over to it. Big drop in temps and NEVER needs to be replaced. It contains no water so no corrosion. They are great folks and you can talk to the owner of the company and his son directly with any questions. Its called Evans waterless coolant. They make a few different versions for different applications. I have no connection to the company. Here is a link to their heavy duty/diesel coolant. They also mention generators specifically.
Heavy Duty Coolant | Evans Cooling Systems, Inc

Tags
generator