Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Finally Able To Beat The Heat

After suffering through a summer of heat in 2012 and thinking the front A/C unit in our 2012 Berkshire 360 FWS was not big enough I think we have finally beat the heat!

We are in Port Charlotte, FL and yesterday it was sunny and 86. We are facing north east so we are getting sun all morning and most of the afternoon on the curb side of the coach. While the sun was shining outside the inside of the coach was a cool 74 and the A/C was not running constantly!

So here is what we did. I ordered exterior sun shades for the windshield, large dining room window, door, driver and passenger windows. Putting shades on the exterior really does make a big difference vs. the interior sun shades.

I ordered them from a company in Winter Haven, FL. Prompt RVSunScreen and am very happy with the price and the product!

I also ordered a custom awning shade, from ShadePro Inc, for my Carefree eclipse power awning which also has helped make a big difference when using the patio. The shade is made for the electric Carefree awning. I ordered a 17' shade with a 10' drop and it is ideal for our awning. It is designed with a zipper at the 6' up from the ground point. The remaining 4' of shade rolls up with the awning. In cases of severe wind or rain you can have the awning rolled up in about 15 seconds. Just unzip the lower portion and roll up the awning.

Here are some pictures of the new shades.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #2

very nice! do you have to have the 6' section attached to the 4' section in order to tie it down?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
very nice! do you have to have the 6' section attached to the 4' section in order to tie it down?
Yes it has a zipper and easily attaches to the upper portion. The zipper is heavy duty and is double stitched.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #4

Radiant energy from sunlight can get up around 1kW per square metre (sorry, I only do metric nowadays) and it doesn't take much glass area to let in enough heat to completely overwhelm a couple of rooftop AC units.

Trick is to keep it outside and inside drapes and blinds just don't do that.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
BOY, I wish I had a problem with 86 deg. and the SUN right now here in Pennasylvania!
It is coming our way slooooooowly here.....
You shades really look nice on your Coach! Hat's off to ya.......
Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Have a similar setup as yours. Front exterior windshield cover, ShadePro with 24 inch top that zips off. really helps in the heat. If you have a wind sensor on your awning, don't forget to turn it off when you have the ShadePro sunscreen attached.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
Have a similar setup as yours. Front exterior windshield cover, ShadePro with 24 inch top that zips off. really helps in the heat. If you have a wind sensor on your awning, don't forget to turn it off when you have the ShadePro sunscreen attached.
Good tip on the wind sensor. I keep it off when traveling and only turn it on to extend the awning. Once the awning is extended I turn it back off and tie down the awning. When strong winds or rain is predicted I just roll in the awning and we do without.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Used that type of shades for years and they work on boats. I think I will get some made up.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I wish the manufacturers would get away from dark colors, sure doesn't help.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #10

That was one of the dumbest moves the manufacturers made. An RV is used primarily in the summer heat so why paint the RV roof and all black? Sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of the so called experts that they employee.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #11

This looks like a Nice Option.

Does anyone have any input on Limo Tinting the all the side glass and the front glass along the top with a sun shade.

Then it is there all the time, no extra parts to carry, install and remove?

Ted.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #12

Got the limo black from Lowe's it is held to window by static electricity you use soapy water to install
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Got the limo black from Lowe's it is held to window by static electricity you use soapy water to install
How do you like it, did you notice a big difference?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
That was one of the dumbest moves the manufacturers made. An RV is used primarily in the summer heat so why paint the RV roof and all black? Sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of the so called experts that they employee.
Roof on my coach is white and I have zero issue with heat in the side walls or roof. All of my heat gain was coming from the windows. Today it was 86 again in the shade on my patio and a cool comfortable 74 in the coach.