Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Finally figured out how to outsmart the air compressor!

When I bought the coach three months ago I had problems with air leaks in the tires. One had a large metal piece in it, the others were leaking at the valve stem extenders. I still have a small leak on one of the inside rear tires and have to add air every few days. I have had a huge problem getting the rear tires up to 100 lbs and the front tires up to 110 lbs. I would start the engine and let the air pressure build up to the point it dumped the excess air, which is between 120 and 130 lbs. Then I would go out and air one tire but couldn't get enough in the others because the pressure in the system was now lower than what I wanted in the tire, but not low enough for the compressor to start again and raise the pressure up to max.

I saw a thread on one of the forums that linked to a YouTube video showing how a guy had built an adapter putting a pressure gauge in line with his air chuck so he could see how much air as being provided by the air system on the coach. This sounded like a great idea so I went out and bought the materials to make one. When I tried it I could see the pressure but the problem I ran into was that after using the air down below 100 lbs the compressor would not come on and build up the pressure again.

Finally the light bulb in my head lit up real bright! Dummy! You've got to reduce the air pressure in the system down to the point where the compressor comes on and builds the air back up to max!
I took the air chuck out of the quick-disconnect, then pushed it part-way back in to let the air bleed off really fast. When the gauge showed the pressure down about 80 to 85, BINGO! the compressor comes on and we're in business again.

Yeah, I know I'm probably the only one on here who took that long to figure that out. If that's the case, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME SOONER, before I wore out my knees trying to get air in those darn tires!!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried that and finally gave up running the 435 HP air compressor and got a 1.5 hp 120 volt one!! Much cheaper and will, slowly, pump my tires up to 120 psi (before I upgraded the front tires) so I now only need 100 psi.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can PM you a "round tuit" you need to get that inside duel fixed!
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
MSHappycampers I have a system similar to yours but used a 3 way connector being a digital tire inflator on one, a line pressure gauge on second and a bleeder (handle operated) on the third. No need then to disconnect to bleed air...just operate the handle on bleeder and watch line guage till pressure goes down to point for compressor to cut in. For those high psi front tires I don't engage the tire inflator till psi on line guage exceeds psi in tire. Works for me.
2017 Entegra Coach Anthem 44B/450 Cummins/Spartan
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
My Sears $100.00 (on sale) pancake Air Compressor attains a pressure of 150 lbs, and I finessed the controller to come on at a higher pressure to reduce waiting time to "usable" pressure.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Check valve?

Valve, Check - Pneumatic Check Valves - Pneumatic System Components - 6D917 : Grainger Industrial Supply
Thinking that if you would use this check valve along with the lock on inflator mentioned in another thread that you would not have to worry about losing air out of the tire as air pressure in the coach dropped. Hook it on and walk away. $8

rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote