Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Finally Generator Problem Found

Finally found out why my Generac has been shutting down. For the past few years I have had problems with my genny shutting down sometimes. My coolant levels would sometimes be low and other times it would be ok. My last drama was in early Sep. when we drove to Hesperia CA for a wedding. We had no a/c on the road as the genny would shut down in a few mins. I checked the coolant level and it was ok. When I got home I started checking it a few different ways. With radiator cap off, coolant tank ok it ran for an hour with both a/c's on. Then later I ran with the cap back on and the coolant tank level ok, it shut down in less then 3 mins. Called a Genny Tech and he said check to see if the radiator has coolant. I removed the cap the next day and there was coolant dripping from the cap and I could feel coolant with my finger. I was just about to start it when I noticed the coolant tank was almost empty. I filled it to the max level, fired it up, turned on both a/c's and let it run over 2 hours with no problem. For some reason it didn't build up enough pressure to pull coolant from the recovery tank.
Took it to a Certified Generac genny dealer here in SLC, UT and he ran it until he could see where it appeared to be leaking at the bottom of the radiator where the hose connects. Because of the way it is mounted in the front of my MH there is no way you change out a hose. At least it was one of the easiest removals they've done on MH's. I'm thinking, "oh great" for a 15 dollar hose it's going to cost me 4-5 hundred to remove and replace the genny. Wrong--the radiator had leakage at the top and at the bottom on opposite sides. Bad news, new radiator 450.00 and not in stock, Good news, radiator shop repaired it for 150.00. While she's out, new belts, hoses, valve cover gasket, brushes, temp sensor and oil sensor all for a total of 1026.00 plus tax. Told the wife we are sure going to do a lot of Wally Docking and boon docking this winter.

So if any of you are ever in the SLC UT area and need a generator worked on take it to C W Supply on 7th South and 5th West.

LESSON LEARNED===If I ever buy another MH I will certainly check out the generator for roll out repair access.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
LESSON LEARNED===If I ever buy another MH I will certainly check out the generator for roll out repair access.
If I ever upgrade to a DP, that was on my "Have to" list.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

What model of Generator was it? thanks.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Generac 75 D
Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

thanks, that's the same one I have. good to know there is someplace local to me that I can take it if needed. thanks for posting up as info on these generators are hard to come by from what I have been able to find online.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Just checked you profile out, we're in the same City.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #7

I believe Generwreck is out of the RV genset biz. I could be wrong.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Just checked you profile out, we're in the same City.
It's always nice to meet someone local. I'm new the the RV ownership as we just purchased our Winnebago at the end of July. We've been out 3 times with it so far.

Since our purchase I have been trying to compile important information that I might need on my RV systems a a place that can service the generator if I need it will come in hand.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post
I believe Generwreck is out of the RV genset biz. I could be wrong.
You're right, they are only doing home and business gennys. But they still repair the rv gennys.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #10

Yet another Generator Question

Ok all of you Genrac Guru's out there, I have a question.

If I want to disassemble my Carb and clean the bowl and jets. Do I need a gasket or gasket kit?

It's a 1996 Onan Emerald Plus 6500 gas with 50hrs on it (low hrs=varnished gas).

Ive seen conflicting info on Onan carbs. Specifically rebuilding vs toss out the old and install the new. Want to avoid spending $200 for a new carb.

Thought I'd start out with a new fuel pump/filter and see if my backfire /dieing issue gets resolved.

Mind you, I just want to clean as much of the varnish out as I can

Thx....

Mark

Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator