Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diz N Sue View Post
I guess I'm the oddball! The MH was my idea, DH finally gave in and acquiesced but hasn't gotten behind the wheel yet! In his defense, due to severe hip pain he really can't help much but I've gained a whole new world of experience in driving the rig, setting it up and tearing Hit down while he enjoys the ride!
I'm right there with you. I wanted, chose, and bought the MH. I do most of the driving, and we both do the setting up and tearing down. So here's to oddballs
PS: He is better at the repairs - "honey, the _____ needs fixing."

Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #30

Next trip I will see if she wants to get some practice in.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I finally go my wife to drive today, it was only a couple of miles but a great start. She did very well.

There's not enough money in the U.S. Mint to get my wife to drive the MH!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Happy to, but I can't pry my DH out of the drivers seat!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #33

23 years ago, when we bought our first 5th wheel (31 ft), I reasoned with my wife that she should be able to pull the 5th wheel, in case I got sick.
Once while dumping the tanks, I ask her to pull the trailer up a few feet. When I finished, I got in the truck on the passenger side. She gave me a strange look and I said, "drive". She pulled the 5th wheel back home (a little over 100 miles).

Today (23 years later), she will not drive my crew cab - dual wheel - long bed Dodge 3500, so I am pretty sure she will not climb behind the wheel of our 43' MH.

It's Good To Be Needed
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #34

My sister asked and was granted the task of driving my 38' HR E last November driving from Ohio to Florida's Disney World.

All she asked was that I driver to the highway ramp and swap drivers at the highway exit. Worked pretty well.

I first discussed a lot of the things you would learn along the way like spacing, merging, turning, braking, lane changes and dork drivers. She used to drive small vehicles for the U.S. Mail for years in Cleveland and is a very good and aware driver. This was a huge help to me, as my old partner and brother in law (who by the way drove semi), was the absolute worst driver for passenger travel. I actually had a few times where I had to have him exit to change drivers. I told him, you are good at transporting cargo and horrible transporting humans. He was totally shocked at this and to this day, I'm sure he still thinks he's the best driver of our group.....NOT!! You're FIRED!

Now, finally, I will have help again for the long trips...
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #35
WDW

Finally got my wife to drive my Class A

LOL. LOL - same day this thread came out was the day that my wife decided that she was going to make a more conscious effort to learn to drive our 37 foot coach. I found this thread and sent it to her later that night and she thought that I had been the original post to it. After she read it more closely she realized that it wasn't me!

But she did get 65 miles of practice driving in on local roads in open highway.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
LOL. LOL - same day this thread came out was the day that my wife decided that she was going to make a more conscious effort to learn to drive our 37 foot coach. I found this thread and sent it to her later that night and she thought that I had been the original post to it. After she read it more closely she realized that it wasn't me!

But she did get 65 miles of practice driving in on local roads in open highway.
:-)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #37

My wife has the ability to drive our MH, and has done so. BUT....she doesn't want to. I will say she is a great navigator and on the road planner. She will drive the toad most of the time. She says it's the fair thing to do. That's why we've been married 49 years.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
My wife is a very good driver, however I'm an extremely poor rider. No way can I doze, can hardly close my eyes. I flinch constantly when passing stationary objects on the right. I've tried laying in bed but couldn't stand the suspense. So, I'm pretty much the designated driver and if I get really tired we stop and I nap. She will occasionally drive the last lap home, she knows the way.
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #39

Mine drives school buses everyday, she loves driving our bus. However, I like it too so I usually drive. I'm a lucky guy, she has also decided that dumping tanks is her job.

The driving thing came in handy when I broke my leg 550 miles from home a few months ago. The kids broke camp and hooked up the toad, wife drove it home.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #40

I'm the DW, and I know I should know how to drive in case of an emergency, but I'm not interested. It intimidates the he## out of me. If I have to drive the MH...I quit.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #41

Oldmanlax - When we first joined IRV2, I too asked that question. I even looked for a reference table to make sense of all the acronyms and expressions. But after a while, you'll figure out a lot of them on your own simply by seeing it enough times in the same context. DP and FDP and Doghouse baffled me for some time, but I was determined to figure them out, and I eventually did.

The answers to DW, Dear Wife or Darling Wife, are the most commonly used I believe, although there are times and situations when other words have been substituted.

ThePowells - SWMBO is good enough among friends.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #42

Thankfully, our sales rep insisted she drive it when we were first looking at it. He did a great job of telling her the basics and reinforcing what she did well. She has driven it a couple times since then and it has been a welcome change from our trailer days.

Tags
class a