Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally weighed my MH!

After 3 years of ownership, I went to a CAT scale and ran my MH over it. This is something I've been dreading for a while! I'm loaded with my 5 month snowbird weight.....includes full fuel and lpg, 1/3 water, and a bit in both gray and black tanks. I was towing my Ford Focus on the Master Tow dolly. My MH specs are: 22K GVWR, 26K GCWR, 8.5K FAWR, and 15K RAWR.

The results are: GVW: 21,660, GCW: 25,500, FAW: 6,940, RAW: 14,720, and toad/dolly: 3,840. It appears I'm light on the front, just under on the rear axle, gross and combined. I can't see moving much forward to offload the rear axle. It is nice to see I'm under spec in all regards!

One question I do have is: what takes precedence, my 22K GVWR or 23.5K axle ratings? This has always had me stumped!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

Highway patrol says the weight on the sticker.

At least that's what the one in SD told me when he pulled me over in a company car once. The law and the truth may very.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
After 3 years of ownership, I went to a CAT scale and ran my MH over it. This is something I've been dreading for a while! I'm loaded with my 5 month snowbird weight.....includes full fuel and lpg, 1/3 water, and a bit in both gray and black tanks. I was towing my Ford Focus on the Master Tow dolly. My MH specs are: 22K GVWR, 26K GCWR, 8.5K FAWR, and 15K RAWR.

The results are: GVW: 21,660, GCW: 25,500, FAW: 6,940, RAW: 14,720, and toad/dolly: 3,840. It appears I'm light on the front, just under on the rear axle, gross and combined. I can't see moving much forward to offload the rear axle. It is nice to see I'm under spec in all regards!

One question I do have is: what takes precedence, my 22K GVWR or 23.5K axle ratings? This has always had me stumped!
The 22K GVWR takes precedence. It's rated up to 15K on the rear and it's rated up to 8.5K on the front, but not both at the same time. Thus if you have 15K RAW then you can only have 7K FAW.

In any case, adding the actual weights (FAW and RAW) together cannot exceed the GVWR.

Congrats on getting it weighed! Will you be able to reduce tire pressures a bit?
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
The 22K GVWR takes precedence. It's rated up to 15K on the rear and it's rated up to 8.5K on the front, but not both at the same time. Thus if you have 15K RAW then you can only have 7K FAW.

In any case, adding the actual weights (FAW and RAW) together cannot exceed the GVWR.

Congrats on getting it weighed! Will you be able to reduce tire pressures a bit?
I may reduce the fronts a bit. it doesn't ride rough now. I'll keep the rear tires where I have them for the load.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:17 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
...One question I do have is: what takes precedence, my 22K GVWR or 23.5K axle ratings? This has always had me stumped!
You should not exceed the GVWR. The combined weight ratings of the individual axles is higher than the GVWR so you have a little leeway in how you load the coach. In other words, you can be at the maximum weight limit of the front axle or the rear axle, but not both.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #6

My opinion only. Neither takes precedence. These are simply "do not exceed" weights. Even though your total rig is below the GVWR if you exceed your FAWR you are out of spec and this should be addressed as soon as possible.
In your case all your specs look good. Only thing left to do is get a four corner weigh to make sure neither a left or right wheel is out of spec and fine tune your tire pressure.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
My opinion only. Neither takes precedence. These are simply "do not exceed" weights. Even though your total rig is below the GVWR if you exceed your FAWR you are out of spec and this should be addressed as soon as possible.
In your case all your specs look good. Only thing left to do is get a four corner weigh to make sure neither a left or right wheel is out of spec and fine tune your tire pressure.
His question was: "what takes precedence, my 22K GVWR or 23.5K axle ratings?" He was adding the two axle ratings together and wondering if that total or the GVWR was the correct total allowable weight of the rig. In answer to the OP question, the correct total allowable weight of the rig (GVWR) is the 22K.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:11 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

The answer is both.. Do not exceed either rating.

Depending on how tight the design you can overload an axle without going over your GVWR or you can go over your GVWR by very carefully loading and not exceed any single axle.

But if you go over the axle ratings you risk suspension and axe damage.. Going over GVWR all sorts of damage. So do not exceed any of them.

Think of it this way,, Axles are like Arms and Legs
GVWR is your back

Which do you wish to break?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #9

Fleetwood seems to only rate the W22 at 8000 lb. Front and 14500 lb. Rear
With the 235/80r22.5 tires
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #10

When close to the axle limits as a CAT reading shows then the four corner numbers get more important. Nice even side-to-side weight distribution is unlikely and some corners could be way overloaded.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsee3 View Post
Fleetwood seems to only rate the W22 at 8000 lb. Front and 14500 lb. Rear
With the 235/80r22.5 tires
The 8.5K front and 15K rear axles were upgrade options on my year WH chassis.