Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Red face Finding great water pressure by accident

After a hard days drive out of California, we pulled into the Rogue Valley State Park in southern Oregon ( Fantastic place,by the way) and in my haste, I grabbed the nearest water hose I had and hooked up. Not a leak which usually occurs when water hoses and I meet. Got inside and turned on the nearest faucet. Man,there was some force in place. (The hose I grabbed was not the one with the regulator and the filter) I rushed outside and corrected the hook-up properly. All water pressure was returned to a safe level in the system.
We were just there for the night so the next morning as I was dumping holding tanks I turned off the water and secured the system. I told the wife to add the blue stuff. She report that there was no water coming from the on-board pump. Returning to the utility door, there was water coming out the city water fitting.
The city, or shore water system works fine however, the on board pump runs and does nothing. Is there a valve of some sort protecting the pump from idiot moves in the system or have I destroyed a perfectly good pump?

geezerb
geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Water pressure high

My bet is you popped a hose lamp or fitting from the overly high city water connection near your water fill inlet and your pump is either cavitating or sucking air. My guess is once you fix the connections or possibly a cracked hose your pump will work fine.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

There is a check valve in the city water fill connector--holds pump pressure from tracking back thru city water system when city pressure is low. You probably blew the valve out. Camping World for sure and/or local RV shack should have a suitable replacement. Extreme water pressure can get the pump or other water "features" so need to check all connections.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

if your pump is running an water comng out the city fill connection, check the spring loaded check ball in the city water connection. it could be stuck or have some trash from the park lines stuck in it! If the ball and seat system is damaged theses parts are easy to get and replace at almost any camping center. For now to use water system you can use a small valve for water hoses to screw into city connection and close the valve and should work until get new part, if you need the par
lofton3786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Returning to the utility door, there was water coming out the city water fitting.
There is a one way valve inside this city water connection. This valve may simply be stuck in the open position. If it is, your onboard pump will just pump water back through this valve. Try tapping the valve.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

Finding great water pressure-------

Thank you bigd9 and all others answering my question.

It isn't often that my mishaps have such an easy solution. I cut the city water and relieved line pressure. A few taps with a few shade tree mechanic prayers and the thing is fixed. This is indeed a fine Tuesday for me. Sure beats groveling around in the bowels of the beast with little hope of finding what it was that broken. Coupled with the knowledge that the thing was screwed up by my hand.

Again, Thanks Gobs:

geezerb

geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #7

Don't be so hard on yourself. I would doubt you did anything to cause this. It just happens sometimes. Speck of sand gets trapped in the seal, or for some reason gremlins grab that cone and cock it over a bit and presto, the darn thing is leaking. As discussed in another thread, you need to hit it with a BFH once in a while.

If this does happen again, you may be able to flush the valve dislodging any grit by reconnecting the city hose, open a faucet and turn the water back on. If all fails to reset the valve, and you are desperate, you can buy a plug to cap the city water fitting off and that should keep the water from leaking back out. Or even reconnect the hose and kink it so the water won't flow back out.

If you insist on blaming yourself, come on over to my place. I've done plenty of dumb things and I can sure let you take the blame for a few of them if you want.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say this.. There is no way the high pressure hose damaged that check valve. So it is not your fault.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will say this.. There is no way the high pressure hose damaged that check valve. So it is not your fault.
Yes, there are a couple of ways pressure can damage the check valve - at least indirectly. It's not the pressure itself that damages the check valve, but the high water flow that is caused by the high pressure. When a faucet is opened, there can be such a sudden rush of water (sometimes even with normal water pressure) that the O-ring gets knocked off the plunger in the check valve. The sudden rush of water can also cause the plunger to hang up and not re-seat properly when the faucet is turned off. If the plunger is hung up, you can sometimes free it by removing the inlet screen and poking the tip of the plastic plunger with your finger.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you did cause the problem you can look at it a different way. You made a mistake by not grabbing the hose with the pressure regulator. When you did that you effected a problem in the check valve which was easy to repair. In the future this worry that you broke something hard to fix will probably make you more careful to grab the right hose. You learned a good lesson with a small repair to make versus learning the same lesson by having high pressure crack a hose or fitting which would be much harder to fix. You were lucky celebrate your luck.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water