RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Finding low priced gas /diesel...

It seems like every trip I make, wherever I pull off the highway to get fuel, I wind up seeing diesel much cheaper before or after wherever I happen to stop. I get so aggravated when I fill up and then see a sign a few miles down the road for fuel thats $.25 a gallon cheaper than I just paid!!! I have a 39' class A diesel and usually tow a 32' trailer, so I tend to look for truck stops that can accommodate my length and I usually like to fill up when I get below 1/3 of a tank so I can easily hold out for another 20-30 minutes if I know there is a better price down the road, but I always seem to guess wrong! I tried the Gas Buddy app, but that searches a radius around you and isn't really helpful or practical when I'm rolling down the interstate - I need something similar to Gas Buddy but that searches the upcoming exits on a specific road or route so I can plan accordingly.... is there a trick or resource I'm missing??? Thanks!

BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

You can use Google Maps to do that. While on a route, hit the search button and select gas stations. There may be a way to show diesel by default.

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Try gas buddy website, not the app.

They have a way of setting up a a route to include your fuel tank size and fuel economy so you can plan your fuel stops on the lowest overall cost for the entire trip.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
Try gas buddy website, not the app.

They have a way of setting up a a route to include your fuel tank size and fuel economy so you can plan your fuel stops on the lowest overall cost for the entire trip.
I use GasBuddy
Old 07-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #5

There’s nothing that’s safe for a driver to use rolling down the road. Use Gasbuddy or google maps when you’re stopped, or have a passenger do it.

I don’t see a problem with planning a fuel stop well in advance, assuming you have an idea what your range is between fills.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
There’s nothing that’s safe for a driver to use rolling down the road. Use Gasbuddy or google maps when you’re stopped, or have a passenger do it.

I don’t see a problem with planning a fuel stop well in advance, assuming you have an idea what your range is between fills.
My girlfriend is usually with me & I would give that task to her! I was hoping to find a resource that I could let her know when gas is getting around 1/3 of a tank and could see what upcoming truck stops have the best price. Gas buddy goes in a radius so that doesn't really help as I don't want to venture far from the interstate - it really doesn't help me to know that there is cheap diesel a few miles away from the highway, but I would like to know if gas is cheaper 30 or 40 miles down the road. I see a few apps that are geared towards truckers, was curious if any of you found something that you found useful?
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
App for Diesel Prices

We use Trucker Path. It shows the location and prices. Also can look at Earth view to see entrance and exit for the truck pumps.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #8

The GasBuddy app can find fuel just about anywhere once you learn how to use it.
On the top right of the the first page select the magnifying glass icon which will open a new page where you can enter the name of any town or city you wish. It will then display a list of many stations selling diesel (if you have the diesel filter selected) in and around the town with prices and distance from your present position.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

But don't go out of your way to save a few cents
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I will usually look at fuel stops either the night before or in the AM while we are traveling. I use Gasbuddy and prefer to use my laptop to get a better view. I'll bring up Gasbuddy at my current location and then follow the interstate in the direction I'm going, looking for the lower grouped prices. I'll then note the location and distance and as I drive I start looking for the fuel stations as we get close. When I exit the interstate I'll try and choose a station that is easy in/out. If there is not an easy in/out I'll forgo the fuel stop and go to the next location along my route.
My wife also has Gasbuddy on her phone and will help in locating fuel stations.

Depending on the number of fuel stations along the route I try not to let my tank get below 40%. I have a Silverleaf VMSpc so I know about how much fuel I have used, probably within a couple gallons every tank full.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #11

Ah, I think you may be looking at the gas buddy list view. That is worthless in your situation.

It has a map view also. Then you can pan, zoom, and scroll the map and see exactly where the stations are in relation to your route, and the price at each location.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to take a look at the following thread Fuel Discount Program.....to good to be true?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use the Gasbuddy app. but I don't wait until I need fuel to plan to get fuel. I'll check towns along my route to see where I'll want to stop and get fuel based on price or whatever I need at the time.

If you wait until your under way to check the app while you're rolling because you do your fuel planning behind the wheel at highway speed, you're doing it all wrong. I know how far I can go on a tank of fuel while towing, and I don't let it get far below half a tank before filling again. Fuel planning is important in places with towns far apart or widely varied pricing from one place to the next.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Super Cheap Diesel usually brings problems - There's always a reason its so cheap, I Away's fill at Pilot or Flying J as they Use Big numbers of Fuel.- Never had a Fuel or Filter issue Yet ! 239,000 on the clock. Just kills Me when you Guys Buy these Big new Pushers and Go Cheap on the basic requirements -- Good Fuel.

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas